Eight Sleep - Great Idea, Too Expensive…

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sounds like something DW and I would absolutely love to improve our sleep - at least in Summer and other warm months. It circulates water at 55°F to 110°F in 1° increments to hold a temperature, or even a series of temperatures. In summer it would allow us to just keep the bed cool instead of cooling the whole house like we do now, reducing our monthly electric…

…but at about $2500 for the cover alone (on your existing mattress), it would never pay for itself - so that’s no justification.

As much as we’d like to BTD, there’s no way I’d spend that much.

The Pod can (precisely) cool or warm each side of the bed as low as 55°F and as high as 110°F, so you and your partner can both sleep perfectly.

Set your temperature for each phase of the night or let Autopilot automatically optimize your sleep temperature based on your current sleep quality, ideal thermal environment and ambient conditions.

https://www.eightsleep.com/

Last edited:
Looks like an expensive waterbed-topper!
Cons:
Does nothing for the pillow heat - that's where I mostly feel hot if I wake up. I flip it over a few times a night.
That contraption is kinda bulky next to a nightstand.
One day it's gonna leak! Or at least I'd be worried it might. You know, some people who never trim their toenails and already wreck sheets I know some of you...

Chili Pad

Consider the Chili Pad, found here:

https://sleep.me/

I've been using the Chili Pad Cube for several years now - big fan of them. Some thoughts:

Pros:
- Much better sleep when using
- Save on AC since you can cool just your bed vice the entire home
- Can purchase for entire mattress or just half; my DW wanted nothing to do with it, so I got a half a queen
- For full size mattresses each side can set their own temp

Cons:
- The cooling system puts out a low but perceptible background hum; doesn't bother me but some find it unacceptable
- The pad will shift some on the mattress after prolonged use requiring minor readjustments to keep it in place

Chili Pad prices are a bit cheaper than the one you listed. They frequently offer them for sale up to 20% discount, so if you wait you can save a few $.

Good luck making your decision!

How about a $200 window mounted room air-conditioner instead?

Noisy, and cycle on/off which can be worse.

I wonder if there is some way to simply get airflow through a mattress or some type of mattress topper? Assuming it's not in the upper 80's (you'd probably use the A/C then), air movement will provide a lot of cooling by just getting rid of body heat.

-ERD50

Me and DW slept on a water bed for many years. You have to warm the water to something pretty close to your body temperature. If the water is cool - say 80 degrees, it will lower you body heat and you’ll be very cold. It would feel good at first, but overnight, you’d be sorry you had it too low. You wake up cold and clammy. It would be fine for warming, but there are probably better and cheaper ways to accomplish warming.

Waterbeds were really nice. I slept on one through much of the 90's. I just tweaked the temperature until it felt right, then left it alone. Too bad they went out of style.

I like a cool pillow, not a cool bed.
I loved our old waterbed in the mid "80s, until it leaked!

We've used an Eight Sleep Pod for a couple of years now. In addition to the price, we had to have the hub (pump) and cooling topper (Pod) replaced under warranty for leaks. The warranty service was fine. They claim constant improvements and no more leaks. That said, it does perform a unique function that we find indispensable. I don't wake up in the middle of the night all sweaty, the bed is at a welcoming temperature when I first get in, and DW and I can set different temperatures. I'm a little warmer and she's on the cool side. She really appreciates the cooling. Neither of us have to make any adjustments to the temperatures from winter to summer, it's just automatically constant. I have the hub fairly close to my side near the head of the bed but can't hear it. The pump seems pretty fancy, not just a simple electric motor and impellor.

The cooling pad is a soft plastic grid embedded in soft foam. The cover is pulled tight across the top of the mattress, which makes for a firmer feel compared to the mattress alone. I used soft mattress topper foam under the Pod to soften it up again. There is a stiff hose that runs from the head of the Pod to the hub. It requires a path from the center of the Pod down to the floor and over to the hub. For our platform bed I had to cut a hole through the platform for the hose to descend to the floor.

We can BTD it, extra comfort for bucks. The cooling and two different constant temps were the keys for us.

We've used an Eight Sleep Pod for a couple of years now. In addition to the price, we had to have the hub (pump) and cooling topper (Pod) replaced under warranty for leaks. The warranty service was fine. They claim constant improvements and no more leaks. That said, it does perform a unique function that we find indispensable. I don't wake up in the middle of the night all sweaty, the bed is at a welcoming temperature when I first get in, and DW and I can set different temperatures. I'm a little warmer and she's on the cool side. She really appreciates the cooling. Neither of us have to make any adjustments to the temperatures from winter to summer, it's just automatically constant. I have the hub fairly close to my side near the head of the bed but can't hear it. The pump seems pretty fancy, not just a simple electric motor and impellor.

The cooling pad is a soft plastic grid embedded in soft foam. The cover is pulled tight across the top of the mattress, which makes for a firmer feel compared to the mattress alone. I used soft mattress topper foam under the Pod to soften it up again. There is a stiff hose that runs from the head of the Pod to the hub. It requires a path from the center of the Pod down to the floor and over to the hub. For our platform bed I had to cut a hole through the platform for the hose to descend to the floor.

We can BTD it, extra comfort for bucks. The cooling and two different constant temps were the keys for us.

So how does it work? You set it to warm before you get in and then it drops the temperature? Or? Does it then feel cold to you? I keep getting the impression that it’s like a cooler water bed, but I’m sure that’s not correct.

I like a cool pillow, not a cool bed.
I loved our old waterbed in the mid "80s, until it leaked!
DW still says the best bed we ever owned was our waterbed in the 80's. :LOL:

So how does it work? You set it to warm before you get in and then it drops the temperature? Or? Does it then feel cold to you? I keep getting the impression that it’s like a cooler water bed, but I’m sure that’s not correct.
By all means I hope bmcgonig replies, but you can use a temperature profile of your own choosing. You're not stuck with one temp all night. See pics.

Eight-Sleep-schedule.jpg
eight-sleep-pod-review-smart-mattress-heating.jpeg

Interesting topic. I struggled for years with overheating at night, so I bought a water-cooling system, that circulates water from a tank that has an evaporative cooler through a mattress pad, and is computer controlled for temperature. It worked pretty well, but the mattress pad leaked after just a few months. And then the controller broke. So I found a replacement mattress pad online that has pvc tubing snaked through it, and I hooked that up to a tank of water with a small aquarium pump. That works really well for me. The water is room temperature, but I never get cold at night. It removes the excess heat (trapped by the mattress) into the water tank, which acts as a heat sink. Problem solved! It's quiet (cheaper pumps hum, so I found a very quiet one). I know, it's a ghetto solution, but it matches my [-]skinflint[/-] frugal tendencies. I suppose if it's too cold I could add a water heater, but so far that's not been a problem.

Interesting topic. I struggled for years with overheating at night, so I bought a water-cooling system, that circulates water from a tank that has an evaporative cooler through a mattress pad, and is computer controlled for temperature. It worked pretty well, but the mattress pad leaked after just a few months. And then the controller broke. So I found a replacement mattress pad online that has pvc tubing snaked through it, and I hooked that up to a tank of water with a small aquarium pump. That works really well for me. The water is room temperature, but I never get cold at night. It removes the excess heat (trapped by the mattress) into the water tank, which acts as a heat sink. Problem solved! It's quiet (cheaper pumps hum, so I found a very quiet one). I know, it's a ghetto solution, but it matches my [-]skinflint[/-] frugal tendencies. I suppose if it's too cold I could add a water heater, but so far that's not been a problem.

Only a few nights/year I might like something like this. I kick the covers off if I get hot and pull the covers on if I get cold. I do all this without waking up. Not knocking it, but suggesting some of us don't really need it for good sleep. Now, if it could drain my bladder in the middle of the night...:cool:

LoL. I have been doing that for decades. It saves a few bucks but the main reason I do it is that I like a cold room and our room is always a little warmer than the rest of the house with the central air. I don't want to excessively chill the whole house to put one room in the Goldilocks zone.

Back
Top Bottom