Eight years of ER where did the time go....

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just got thinking about it that I have been ER eight years as of May 1st. Man, just unbelievable how fast that time has gone. Wow! I worked in a career I wanted to do since grade school, so had a job I loved till the last day. I haven't looked back but kept my eyes looking forward and focus on just living life today, as I know there isn't no guarantee of a tomorrow.

Health has been good and so has it been for my lovely wife. So, many things have happened in these past eight years and I'm so glad I was ER to take full advantage and had time for all that has taken place.

My son got married to a local rancher's daughter and they are very well financially set in life with great professional careers. I also got my first blood granddaughter and got a step GD to boot that we just love as our own.

I enjoy each day in the outdoors fishing, hunting, hiking and working on the ranch. I had more time for wood projects and have taken on many new challenges of things I would never would have had time for.

I learned in ER that I don't have to get in a hurry, so whatever I do now, I stop to look around and to smell the roses. I have been blessed so much and more then I have deserved.

Financially has been the easiest part with > 2.5M in portfolio more than from the day I ER eight years ago in May. We have spent a lot of money buying land, two new vehicles, charity/donating/giving away money and still have enough.

I hear it often here that people are glad they ER when they did, and some wish they would have done it sooner. For me I went out at 58 and was about right for me but so glad I did then and not later.

I Thank God each day for all the blessing I have been given. Wow, has the time flew by fast.

Last edited:
What a great summary of ER! Glad it's w*rking out for you. Best of luck going forward.

8 years this month for me, too. No complaints so far!

Coming up on 19 years. Mostly good - but health issues can be a bummer though YMMV.

Eleven years for me and have enjoyed it all, even with the health problems along the way. Grandkids are the best!!! Nothing is better than spending time with them!
I’m so glad things are going so well for you and your family! I give thanks to God daily for mine.

Yeah, I too am so thankful for being blessed over the years (good j*b - until it wasn't.) Great wife. Independent kids. Grandkids! Decent stash.

SO much to give thanks for every day.

Great story. Congratulations!

Congrats, and I still don't know where does the time go?

I feel like the new kid on the block. going on 18 months retired. :)

Street, your love for your family and joy for life comes across in all of your posts. Happy for you!

Excellent Street, congratulations! :dance:

18 years for me/us. I was always focused on RE, based on my immediate family dying really young. I retired at 50, and we've had a hell of a good time. It was a good decision, because now that I've reached "normal" retirement age I've started having some major health issues. So I'd call it a good decision. I hope to return to better health if I can get a transplant, but if not, I'm really happy with the life I've had. And knowing I'll leave DW and my daughter and grandkids in good shape financially is even more important. So I recommend FIRE to everyone I know. It requires discipline and some sacrifice, but in the long run it's well worth it.

That's awesome Street!

I love your contributions to this forum.

Congrats street, we seem pretty similar. Retired at 58, 9 yrs ago. Certainly very lucky with the timing, as the markets have been very helpful. Started ss last month.

Thank You very much everyone.

Wonderful story!
Blessings to you and your family.

Wonderful Street, I enjoy reading your posts. Wishing you great times ahead.

I retired at 58 and that was 12 years ago. During those years I have either taught one online college class or consulted all but for 3 years. I have really enjoyed doing a little work and hence my username. Sadly the teaching ended 4 years ago. It was really fun. I’m glad you are enjoying your retirement!!

Congrats on the past 8 years, and working to get yourself in a position for ER!

Regarding your point about having $2.5M more now than you did when you retired, how much did you have in investments when you pulled the ripcord? Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but those of you who managed to retire in the years after the GFC have hit a homerun with how the market has done since then. Here's to hoping many of us can be as fortunate when we do the same!

Back
Top Bottom