Eliminating Meat, Substituting Fish & Seafood

I stopped eating meat about 3 weeks ago, and I feel kind of sad. I can't help it so I decided to add a little meat to my meal. I'm concerned with my high cholesterol so I will slowly give up on this meat thing and change my diet to seafoods and vegetables, in time.

sorry for any confusion to you. your referenced quote of mine was simply commentary on another poster's opinion listed elsewhere. that poster's inconsistency in not bringing you to the table for what would have been--in similar logic--the same perceived offense in tactic as was presumed mine bolstered my suspicion of that person's motive. again, poster, the reference was not meant at all towards you.

Ziggy,

You got that one right. With my last annual checkup, the electrocardiogram results don't look great, the stethoscope detects a slight heart murmer that wasn't there before. Some time soon, I have to get an echocardiogram check.

I'm lucky that I like fish and seafood so that's not a problem. Getting prepared, just in case I'm put on a diet. Right now, I'm trying to get my omega-6's down, and my omega 3's up.

Just an update on this. First of all I'd like to thank everyone's response. It's good to know that quite a few of you are looking after your health, and that includes the choices of what to eat, and what not to.

I received the results of my echocardiogram a couple of days ago, and the doctor said it looks good with nothing on it to be concerned about. She didn't mention anything about going on a diet, but I'm still concerned about the blocked artery that the electrocardiogram showed, and the fact that she had told be if it gets worse down the road, that I may have to have a pacemaker inserted.

Before, I was sort of 50/50 healthy food versus junk food. Now, I know I can't do that anymore, so now I try for 90% health food. The other 10% is for food that I think may be healthy, but down the road turn out to be the opposite. Right now I seem to have a fascination with the old traditional diets in Japan, and in particular Okinawa, and in the case of Mediterranean focusing on Crete. Call it fusion if you wish, I'm picking what works for me, from both sides of the world. Two other items I've found of great interest, was the relationship of omega-3's to omega 6's and the changes that have occurred in the North American diet since about the 1850's, and also a new term for me, "caloric density", which I'm sure many of you already know.

Certainly, I've increased my vegetable and fruit intake over the last few weeks, which for someone like me who was more like a T-Rex, not the easiest thing to do. I'm not interested in red meat anymore, and although I now have an occasional poultry dish, if given a choice, I'll take the fish or seafood, thanks. That I have no problem eating, and love it.

We like seafood, and need to eat more, but here in KY GOOD fish is expensive. We have the same problem that Maurice does. We can get fish that's cheap, but I have trouble choking it down. Seems that most less expensive fish has been handled badly, or not frozen quickly enough, and is therefore "fishy" tasting, which I understand is usually a function of lack of freshness. Seems that whenever we're at the coast, fish is readily available in local markets that's reasonable and very good. I suppose that's a penalty for living too far inland....

Anyone watch the tv show 'Surviving in the Wild' on the Discovery Channel? I was watching that today and the host of the show was in Africa. He came across a Zebra that had been killed and eaten by a tiger. He said he knew the carcass was fresh because the nearby vultures were so fat from their Zebra meal, they couldn't fly away. He took a knife and skinned a portion of the remaining animal and dug out some meat. Yup, stuffed his face with uncooked Zebra flesh. :eek:

I guess when your in the wild your not too concerned with a meatless diet.:-\

Anyone watch the tv show 'Surviving in the Wild' on the Discovery Channel? I was watching that today and the host of the show was in Africa. He came across a Zebra that had been killed and eaten by a tiger. He said he knew the carcass was fresh because the nearby vultures were so fat from their Zebra meal, they couldn't fly away. He took a knife and skinned a portion of the remaining animal and dug out some meat. Yup, stuffed his face with uncooked Zebra flesh. :eek:

I guess when your in the wild your not too concerned with a meatless diet.:-\

DH and I saw that particular show recently. What a trip! :eek: It really freaked me out. I think that's the same show where he squeezed the liquid out of camel dung and drank it. Boy, what a job!

DH and I saw that particular show recently. What a trip! :eek: It really freaked me out. I think that's the same show where he squeezed the liquid out of camel dung and drank it. Boy, what a job!

That was partially digested camel dinner, but still gross.:eek: Most meat can be eaten after it is a bit spoiled, you just have to cook it longer, much, much longer. As one survival manuel I have described it, "...the longer the better. It is best if boiled, that way the water can break down the meat and make it a bit more tender."

Back
Top Bottom