Elmer's Glue Just Saved Me $139

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've got too many cameras. Six to be exact and that's not even counting my phone. But that's a different post.

On onne of my cameras the lettering on the mode dial has faded to the point of hardly visible. This isn't my best camera, yet I'm still keeping and thought about having the dial replaced so went ahead and got a quote from a camera repair place online.

The estimate came out to $139 just to replace the dial. I do understand after labor and shipping that it's probably a fair charge. But I'm not going to pay $139 to fix a camera for that amount I could almost buy another of the same model on ebay. Plus, I don't really need the camera since I have all the others.

So, I figured, how hard would it be to just print out a picture of the dial (from a good on on internet), use some package tape to protect from water and just glue on the dial? Apparently, pretty easy. Took me about 30 minutes of trial and error to get the size right then the rest is grade school taping and using glue :dance:.

As long as I don't use the camera in a rainforest, hope the glue will stay on.

Attachments

• camera with faded dial.JPG
    camera with faded dial.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 67
  • dial picture.JPG
    dial picture.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 66
  • glued to dial.JPG
    glued to dial.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 73
That is a great and unique fix. As a retired photographer with too many cameras, I salute you.

That is a great and unique fix. As a retired photographer with too many cameras, I salute you.

I'm thinking about using nail polish to add a clear coat and seal the edge of the "label" over the dial. That should protect from any moisture, I'd think.

I have this joke (but somewhat serious) with a friend that instead of one camera and many lenses, I just get another camera instead. But that may change as I'm debating in my mind about getting a camera with interchangeable lenses.

About that mode dial fix, I see the correct part for that camera is only about $20 on ebay.

But I haven't found any videos or documentation on how to change out the part. Otherwise, that's my preferred route.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 40
I would stay away from DIY camera repair, especially for the ones with the built-in flash. I got zapped twice and no one but myself to blame.

The label fix is genius. Maybe use the cyanoacrylate based glue (crazy glue) will make the print stick better? With the nail polish on top, it is not going anywhere.

Excellent fix.
DH uses Elmers to repair many things. I have a big bottle in the cupboard above my desk, great for quick fixes, and lasts a good long time.

I've been trying to do something similar with my Bosch dishwasher where the labels below the 5 buttons on the control panel (black printing on the white panel) have worn off in just a few years. I printed the words on a strip of paper (about 3"x .5"), which i taped over the worn ones on the panel, & it looked surprisingly good; the words were exactly the same font & size, & the clear tape was invisible. But after a few months of wiping over the area, the edges of the tape have started to curl & look soiled. I could keep replacing it, but the nail polish suggestion above is intriguing -- something clear & waterproof to cover the paper is needed. Any other creative ideas from you geniuses?

Elemer's Glue Just Saved Me $139

Any other creative ideas from you geniuses?

1) if you have a laser printer, try printing on a transparency sheet

2) if you have a label maker, try printing on clear label tape

I've been trying to do something similar with my Bosch dishwasher where the labels below the 5 buttons on the control panel (black printing on the white panel) have worn off in just a few years. I printed the words on a strip of paper (about 3"x .5"), which i taped over the worn ones on the panel, & it looked surprisingly good; the words were exactly the same font & size, & the clear tape was invisible. But after a few months of wiping over the area, the edges of the tape have started to curl & look soiled. I could keep replacing it, but the nail polish suggestion above is intriguing -- something clear & waterproof to cover the paper is needed. Any other creative ideas from you geniuses?

Well, If you have afternoon to kill, take the transparency idea from Camfused and make the text an image and reverse it then print it on the transparency so the printout will be on the back side of the plastic then tape it on. That way you can wash/wipe it without removing the text which is protected by the plastic.

1) if you have a laser printer, try printing on a transparency sheet

2) if you have a label maker, try printing on clear label tape

I have a laser printer. Is a transparency sheet basically like clear plastic paper you can print on? But if I'd still have to tape it onto the panel, wouldn't the tape itself start looking messy & soiled, as it does now? Or maybe I'm using the wrong kind of tape - is there something better than ordinary "scotch tape"?

I don't have a label maker but the idea of clear, laminated tape is intriguing -- I will ponder this.

I have a laser printer. Is a transparency sheet basically like clear plastic paper you can print on? But if I'd still have to tape it onto the panel, wouldn't the tape itself start looking messy & soiled, as it does now? Or maybe I'm using the wrong kind of tape - is there something better than ordinary "scotch tape"?

I don't have a label maker but the idea of clear, laminated tape is intriguing -- I will ponder this.

Google "optically clear adhesive" it comes is many forms, from self adhesive to UV curable liquids.

Back
Top Bottom