I Know a Price Gouge When I See One

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a real old washer and dryer. The other day my washer's knob didn't turn properly. After taking a closer look, the problem I think is the knob dial plate (that shows where the wash cycle is). Over time, the plastic on the plate becomes brittle and breaks off.

Since the washer is so old, parts are expensive with a capital E. I ended up coughing up the money and bought the part for about $28 on ebay. That's actually cheap compared to other places.

The purchase left me feeling like I went to a concert in the summer and paid $8 for a bottle of water - or die of thirst.

I'm seeing evidence of businesses "rounding" up to the nearest $10. Soon, all 0ne dollar bills will be gone and a $10 will be the baseline.:facepalm:

My sympathies. Hopefully that part will buy you a lot more time with your washer.

Parts are probably not made for that item any more (hence you had to go to ebay vs. the maker). Limited supply and competition doesn't make it a gouge, that's good old capitalism at work.

I have a now- 27 years old Joe Weider home gym that works on cables and pulleys. A few years ago, one of the cables became dangerously frayed. I still had the owner's manual, found the part # and called the company that now owns Weider, or at least the trademark. $130 for replacement cable, but it beat the minimum $750 I would have needed to get a similar-but-not-as-good replacement. All in all, it was well worth it to me. So, there is hope; at least occasionally one can repair without price gouging.

Parts are probably not made for that item any more (hence you had to go to ebay vs. the maker). Limited supply and competition doesn't make it a gouge, that's good old capitalism at work.

I know, capitalism like the $8 price on a bottle of water during a summer concert. The value is what someone is willing to pay.

I think you're right I think about parts not made anymore for that item. I know for sure the timer part isn't made anymore for that washer. I've seen one selling for about $250 :(.

I've had luck finding parts for 'older' appliances at Repairclinic.com.

They also have a great return policy...365 days!

omni

I have a now- 27 years old Joe Weider home gym that works on cables and pulleys. A few years ago, one of the cables became dangerously frayed.

A suggestion I learned on another forum for replacement of pull-pull cables for lawn mowers and such is go to a bicycle shop. Rather than try to stock all possible cables for bicycles, many shops buy the equipment to make custom cables of any desired length and size. And it won't be anywhere near $130 for one. They may not be able to make the one that you need, but it's sure worth a phone call to find out.

I'm seeing evidence of businesses "rounding" up to the nearest $10. Soon, all 0ne dollar bills will be gone and a $10 will be the baseline.:facepalm:

I guess I'll believe that when pennies go away.:cool:

J weld is my new friend. My kitchen faucet handle got a break in the mount housing. It seems to be working out after a couple days. Beats buying and installing a new one.

Just had to figure out how to clamp it for curing.

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_090140332.jpg
    IMG_20240226_090140332.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 13
J weld is my new friend. My kitchen faucet handle got a break in the mount housing. It seems to be working out after a couple days. Beats buying and installing a new one.

Just had to figure out how to clamp it for curing.

Mr J Weld is a favorite item in my garage, we done lots of repairs w/ it.

The door handle in the Maytag dryer broke after only few months and bought a replacement for 15 dollars. The replacement lasted only 3 months and just gave up.
I loop a string on the door and is been working fine for 5 years. You pull on the string to open the door.

The quality of this newer stuff is made to fail after so many cycles.

The door handle in the Maytag dryer broke after only few months and bought a replacement for 15 dollars. The replacement lasted only 3 months and just gave up.
I loop a string on the door and is been working fine for 5 years. You pull on the string to open the door.

The quality of this newer stuff is made to fail after so many cycles.

Very true. We remodeled the kitchen and bathroom ~5 years ago and the most used parts have either been replaced or are on the verge. The sink faucet is the latest after the toilet valve and shower head.

Thankfully the shower head was under a lifetime warranty and was easy to get processed. Mailed us a new unit within the week.

Sometimes supply and demand bites.

I agree that prices are very high. I recently had to replace the heater element in my 12 year old dryer. As bad as the price was ($128.00). At least I had an easy time finding a replacement on Amazon and watched several YouTube videos. I am sure if I had to hire a repairman it would have cost at least $500 to have them repair it.

I am just thankful we have it much easier to find a source for spare parts and information on how to complete these projects. I save a lot of money when I can do these repairs myself. That also helps me justify to my wife why I bought a lot of expensive tools over the years.:LOL:

I have a real old washer and dryer. The other day my washer's knob didn't turn properly. After taking a closer look, the problem I think is the knob dial plate (that shows where the wash cycle is). Over time, the plastic on the plate becomes brittle and breaks off.

Since the washer is so old, parts are expensive with a capital E. I ended up coughing up the money and bought the part for about $28 on ebay. That's actually cheap compared to other places.

The purchase left me feeling like I went to a concert in the summer and paid $8 for a bottle of water - or die of thirst.

My go to repair product has become baking soda and super glue. I dries hard as a rock, but can be filed. I have also repaired knobs by cutting a small pipe that has just the right diameter to fit tight around the shaft to hold the broken pieces in place. Than add an adhesive.

As bad as it can be to get a replacement part, I have found that in most of my parts seeking, I find it for cheap. There are vendors selling the $5 for $50, typically, but I shop six ways from Sunday, using the description and part numbers in one listing to find more options.

Also, I noticed "Porsche part #286JH-773" is exactly the same as "Toyota part#97-99743-12", and the former is $50, whereas the latter is $5.

If you can get an "old" washer going again for under $30, that's a bargain.

The alternative is to buy a new washer (big $$ right up front) which has many more, and more expensive and complex, parts. All of which are designed to fail after a few years.

Keep those rugged, simple old appliances going for as long as you can!

Also, I noticed "Porsche part #286JH-773" is exactly the same as "Toyota part#97-99743-12", and the former is $50, whereas the latter is $5.

Nice find. This idea of using Toyota parts on other vehicles works like a champ for Lexus owners.

On that issue I have little sympathy. You know you're going to a concert and you know that they'll charge a lot for a bottle of water. Drink some water before you go, it's not that hard to go a couple hours without water if you plan in advance.

I ended up coughing up the money and bought the part for about $28 on ebay. That's actually cheap compared to other places.

I read a story about a guy who lost his job. To make ends meet he started picking up free appliances (washers, dryers, refridgerators) that didn't work. He stripped them of working parts and started selling them on Ebay. Sometimes he'll buy one cheap if it's a popular model. A fridge he buys for $25 or gets for free can net him several hundred dollars in parts within a couple of weeks. He's making so much money doing this that it's now his full time job.

Porsche must use lots of other people's parts. My buddy's has a blinker cover that is Ford's.

Porsche must use lots of other people's parts. My buddy's has a blinker cover that is Ford's.

Fortunately, when the time comes to replace your blinker fluid, you can use a generic brand. No need to use the Porsche variety...

Fortunately, when the time comes to replace your blinker fluid, you can use a generic brand. No need to use the Porsche variety...

And the muffler bearings. Don't forget the muffler bearings...

I agree that prices are very high. I recently had to replace the heater element in my 12 year old dryer. As bad as the price was ($128.00). At least I had an easy time finding a replacement on Amazon and watched several YouTube videos. I am sure if I had to hire a repairman it would have cost at least $500 to have them repair it.

I am just thankful we have it much easier to find a source for spare parts and information on how to complete these projects. I save a lot of money when I can do these repairs myself. That also helps me justify to my wife why I bought a lot of expensive tools over the years.:LOL:

I've found eBay cheapest for appliance parts.

As others posted, try searching just on part number w/o brand name.

I could have bought a generic magnetron for around $50 to fix the microwave on the original all-in-one GE combo range/microwave that came with our place.

But spouse wanted a separate range & OTA microwave so I ended up spending closer to $2,500. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom