emailing very large files *over 10 meg

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Most email programs will not let you send files over 10 meg.

senduit | Share easily.

appears to be a service that will work. You upload your file, specify how long you want it to be there, and send a link to the person you want the file to go to.

I use DropBox....it has a "Public" folder that you can put files in and share with whoever you please. Once you place a file in the "Public" folder, you right click that file and choose Dropbox > Copy public link, then paste that link into an email or whatever and the file is shared. It is all stored on a secure server, so your computer doesn't need to be on for people to access the file(s).

And the files size can be in GB's not just MB's! You get 2GB of space free! If you want or need more, you can get 50GB for $9.99/mo or 100GB for $19.99/mo.

I started using Dropbox before we left on vacation in early February so that I could have easy access to some documents and pix and stuff while I was away. It can be easily accessed from my iPhone (there's an app for that). It was especially handy for keeping track of hotel reservations and confirmation #'s, as well as my maps with our planned stops, directions, mileposts, and stuff marked up on them.

You can access it from any computer that has an internet connection or through iPhones. And you can place files in it from any internet connected computer (or iPhone). It's been very handy for me, and I use it a lot!

I used it this morning at our local Jr. College. We went to an all day garden seminar, and in the hustle 'n' bustle of getting ready to leave home, I forgot our registration confirmation papers. HOWEVER....I had placed PDF copies of them in Dropbox the day I registered. So I just accessed those files on my iPhone, and we were in like Flint!

I usually just upload it to my web server and send someone a link. Oh yeah, not everyone has their own web server.

A vendor at work uses YouSendIt to distribute large files periodically. They just email the link and say here's your new software version.

I usually just upload it to my web server and send someone a link. Oh yeah, not everyone has their own web server.

But everyone *can* have a web server....

Google Sites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://sites.google.com/

100MB storage for free, plus you can use it for tons of things. I've put up a page when I just want to share some info with a group. You just give them a link to that page, and they can't really see anything else, unless you want them to.

And with Google docs, you can share spreadsheets or text documents that users can edit - great for organizing any group activity - give them the link, tell them to enter their info.

-ERD50

I use skydrive.live.com. 20gb free, shareable storage.

Back
Top Bottom