Embezzlement

Since writing this, have found they wrote a rebuttal to our December series of notes. Essentially admits to our claims, and attempts to justify why they took our money, etc. Too bad about that binding arbitration agreement-would love to take them to court.

Super fun times!

I thought I'd provide an update. Lots of water under the bridge since I wrote this!

In the intervening months the organization we split from has done their very best to run us out of business. They've attempted to spend all of the money they could access in our corporate account, tie up our remaining money in banking investigations, tried to get local police to secure our building, place our staff on administrative leave, etc. We've also found out their CEO served time in prison-and is on parole for-financial crimes. We've successfully fought all their efforts and continue to serve our clientele.

Finally, in mid December, my organizations lawyer suggested we go a little public. We wrote a serious of letters documenting what had happened, our proof, and how we had been treated. Then released them to the other organizations members and some important business partners. That appears to have brought them to the table, and we are now entering into a facilitation to end the fight.

Fun times!

I worked many years for a non-profit. The accountant that did our audits once said to me, "It is usually the guy you trust that steals from you." I have seen that proven many times. Another time he said, "Help the honest guy stay honest, by keeping good controls." I have remembered them both for many years.

Back
Top Bottom