Empty lot gets stolen and someone builds a house on it. UH OH

Sounds like a real mess...Bet the innocent will end up getting the short end on this one. Lawyers should do well.

Apparently, someone never heard of a title search:confused:

I recall skimming an article about this. Someone representing himself to be the owner gave a power of attorney to a local lawyer, who proceeded to sell the property. No title search would help here, but the lawyer's insurance probably ends up paying.

It is not the title search that appears to be the problem but someone saying there were the person who actually owned the property...

Maybe they had a good fake ID made... who knows how deep they go into proving who you are..

It is not the title search that appears to be the problem but someone saying there were the person who actually owned the property...

Maybe they had a good fake ID made... who knows how deep they go into proving who you are..

I’ve had to produce a driver’s license and give a social security number at closings. That’s about it.

Thanks all - Good points on how title search would not have prevented the land theft.

Ugh, the scammer who impersonated the legal land owner had the money wired to a bank in South Africa.

I wonder if that raised a flag with the realtor who arranged the sale.

Ugh, the scammer who impersonated the legal land owner had the money wired to a bank in South Africa.

I wonder if that raised a flag with the realtor who arranged the sale.

Realtor probably was happy with his 6% commission,.:D

People building on properties owned by others happens more frequently than one might think.

Last edited:
Realtor probably was happy with his 6% commission,.:D

... and probably is arguing that he can keep his commission, because it was not his fault. :)

The developer lost the $350K he paid for the lot, but what to do about the big house being 1/2 built. Oh man, I feel for the developer much more than the legal land owner.

Gotta find the scammer, and hang him up by his private parts.

Last edited:
When a property tax bill doesn't show up as expected, this should prompt an investigation by the landowner. Unfortunately, this isn't a fast method of detecting theft. Also, some landowners are distracted and might not even notice a missing bill.

I'm currently selling a large amount of farmland in flyover states and it has crossed my mind how much of a pain it would be to straighten out this type of mess. All of the tax bills for the land I'm selling are current so I'm not too worried about this. :popcorn:

People building on properties owned by others happens more frequently than I’ve might think.

We had a house near us get surveyed wrong and about a third of the way into framing they realized that part of the house was on the neighbors property. They tore out part of the foundation and added a funky bend to the driveway. When you look at it today completed, all you see is a weird bend in the driveway. Opps.

Oh man, I feel for the developer much more than the legal land owner.

I don't. They have a business and while this is a loss, it's financial, period. They'll get a lot of write downs on their taxes.

The legal owner? Who knows what he's lost. All those old trees, a piece of a legacy he planned to hand down to his children, etc. All razed down. Maybe money can't fix that for him.

After I bought my new spec home in the high-country boondocks, I did not care to know the exact boundary of my lot until I wanted to build a detached garage.

Looking at the county map, I discovered that the builder had graded part of the adjacent lot, so that the house had a really big unpaved parking space. Oops!

He was still in town, and I talked to him. He called the excavator to return the mistaken part back to its original slope.

Today, after 18 years, there was no sign that the adjacent lot was ever touched. I don't think the land owner even knew, not that any real damage was done.

I don't. They have a business and while this is a loss, it's financial, period. They'll get a lot of write downs on their taxes.

The legal owner? Who knows what he's lost. All those old trees, a piece of a legacy he planned to hand down to his children, etc. All razed down. Maybe money can't fix that for him.

Well, maybe the legal land owner can get the 1/2 finished house free to give to his children.

Much better than the dinky old trees? :)

We had a house near us get surveyed wrong and about a third of the way into framing they realized that part of the house was on the neighbors property. They tore out part of the foundation and added a funky bend to the driveway. When you look at it today completed, all you see is a weird bend in the driveway. Opps.

Yep happens a lot. I was a part owner in a surveying/engineering firm for 20+ years. Lots of similar situations.

First was a survey I did back around 1980. My girlfriend's parents owned a farm with a homestead and wanted to plat some lots for the kids and a few to sell. One piece of property had already been sold and built on by the oldest daughter. But built in the wrong place. So she had to quit claim her property back to the parents and the parents deeded her the lot that corresponded where house was. Easy.

Another was a whole 100+ lot subdivision where our firm platted and designed the subdivision, but construction was handled by the builder's surveyor. Streets, utilities, and houses were all built in the wrong location by about 10-20'. Luckily nothing was sold when the error was found. We were able to resurvey the location of everything that was built and I filed a corrected plat to fix the problem.

Another - We did a subdivision of about 20 five unit townhouse buildings. Each building had its own plat with legal description of the townhouse to include front and back yards adjacent to each unit.

We gave the plats to the developer's lawyer to get title work started. About the same time, the lawyer called our office asking for individual addresses for the townhouses. We got the addresses from the city, and gave the lawyer the addresses over the phone.

Problem was that the lawyer had his plats upside down when he transcribed the addresses to his copies of the plats. And he set up all real estate contracts initially by address, and later title was brought down based the legal descriptions matching his erroneously placed addresses.

Somehow I found this snafu. But by this time about 50 units had been sold. 4 out 5 units in every building were occupied by people who owned a different unit in the building. IE - family living in an end unit actually had a deed to the other end unit. Only the middle unit owners had a legal description that matched where they lived.

I explained this to the lawyer and I don't think he understood the gravity of the problem. Deeds to the wrong pieces, mortgages, construction lien waivers - 100's of incorrect documents.

I explained it to my replacement and retired soon after. I have no idea how they fixed that.

Last edited:
Yep happens a lot. I was a part owner in a surveying/engineering firm for 20+ years. Lots of similar situations.

First was a survey I did back around 1980. My girlfriend's parents owned a farm with a homestead and wanted to plat some lots for the kids and a few to sell. One piece of property had already been sold and built on by the oldest daughter. But built in the wrong place. So she had to quit claim her property back to the parents and the parents deeded her the lot that corresponded where house was. Easy.

Another was a whole 100+ lot subdivision where our firm platted and designed the subdivision, but construction was handled by the builder's surveyor. Streets, utilities, and houses were all built in the wrong location by about 10-20'. Luckily nothing was sold when the error was found. We were able to resurvey the location of everything that was built and I filed a corrected plat to fix the problem.

Another - We did a subdivision of about 20 five unit townhouse buildings. Each building had its own plat with legal description of the townhouse to include front and back yards adjacent to each unit.

We gave the plats to the developer's lawyer to get title work started. About the same time, the lawyer called our office asking for individual addresses for the townhouses. We got the addresses from the city, and gave the lawyer the addresses over the phone.

Problem was that the lawyer had his plats upside down when he transcribed the addresses to his copies of the plats. And he set up all real estate contracts initially by address, and later title was brought down based the legal descriptions matching his erroneously placed addresses.

Somehow I found this snafu. But by this time about 50 units had been sold. 4 out 5 units in every building were occupied by people who owned a different unit in the building. IE - family living in an end unit actually had a deed to the other end unit. Only the middle unit owners had a legal description that matched where they lived.

I explained this to the lawyer and I don't think he understood the gravity of the problem. Deeds to the wrong pieces, mortgages, construction lien waivers - 100's of incorrect documents.

I explained it to my replacement and retired soon after. I have no idea how they fixed that.
Wow!

thumb prints on legal documents might be a solution.

Seeing that some are saying about an error they heard about...

I will throw this into be careful about complaining about property lines without knowing if you are right...

One of my sisters lives in a neighborhood where some of the yards are pretty big... there was this one guy who wanted to redo his fence and was upset that the current fence was 20 feet on his side of the property line... so he complained to his neighbor and built it on what HE thought was the property line... it actually looked like is should have been the property line...

The lady said something to my BIL who did construction... he went out and surveyed and found out that the guy was wrong by about 15 feet the other way... IOW, he built the fence 35 feet from his property line... the neighbor got a real surveyor who said the same and then made the guy move the fence to the real property line... it really looked strange where it was but that was the real property line...

It's hard to believe things like this happen, but they do. Then you have cases of going away on vacation only to find a squatter living in your home and the squatters seem to have more rights than the owner:facepalm:

Now that’s what I’d call a well-timed retirement.

Interesting and I also know that happens more than the general public hear about.

Title/abstract with the insurance is a must. Here in the west fence lines and what you think is a property line aren't even close in a lot of cases. A lot was homesteaded and roughed out and never was surveyed with good instruments of measurement in those days.

The other thing rivers and landscape has changed things through the last 200 years. It really can be a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom