Eplee maneuver fpr Vertigo (positional)

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone experienced this? I have an appointment Monday for this quick procedure and just thought I'd see if anyone has done this. Thx

I help my wife do it before we take any curvy roads. It's been helpful for her.

You can watch youtube video on it and do it yourself at home.
Mine used to flare up every five years or so and I would do it and take care of the problem but haven't done it for ten or more years now.

You can watch youtube video on it and do it yourself at home.
Mine used to flare up every five years or so and I would do it and take care of the problem but haven't done it for ten or more years now.

10-4 -- I just wanted direction and guidance the first time. :)

My wife uses it regularly since she often gets attacks of vertigo. It is about 70% effective for her. Sometimes she needs to do it multiple times. Occasionally she just has to wait it out.

I did it at home when I had vertigo a few years ago. It eliminated the problem for me within a week or so.

I was a patient of Dr. Epley. The maneuver is a series of head movements which can put the crystals within the ear back into the position they belong. Unfortunately, my problem was Meniere's and he wasn't able to help me (his treatment works best for BPPV symptoms.) He really tried everything, but my Meniere's was hormone related and he was the wrong type of doctor for that.

Dr. Epley is a true hero. Here is an interesting article of what he went through to bring his treatment to the mainstream (it's a series of posts so don't stop at the first one, scroll down. https://www.healthboards.com/boards...ent-story-about-dr-epley-well-worth-read.html

It is amazing. I had vertigo about 4 years ago and it was concerning me. While researching it before I made my doctor's appointment, I read about the maneuver.

I gave it a try by myself, and it was instant relief for something that was bugging me for weeks!

I thought it would quackery. It was not. It was genius.

I’m not sure why you need an appointment. It’s something you do yourself. When I see a patient with vertigo I print out an instruction sheet off the internet for them. I also tell them to look on YouTube and I give them a quick demonstration. Just Google it and you’ll find videos and instructions. It can definitely help. Can’t hurt.

Last edited:
I was a patient of Dr. Epley. The maneuver is a series of head movements which can put the crystals within the ear back into the position they belong. Unfortunately, my problem was Meniere's and he wasn't able to help me (his treatment works best for BPPV symptoms.) He really tried everything, but my Meniere's was hormone related and he was the wrong type of doctor for that.

Dr. Epley is a true hero. Here is an interesting article of what he went through to bring his treatment to the mainstream (it's a series of posts so don't stop at the first one, scroll down. https://www.healthboards.com/boards...ent-story-about-dr-epley-well-worth-read.html

that's a great read - thank you for sending it

I’m not sure why you need an appointment. It’s something you do yourself. When I see a patient with vertigo I print out an instruction sheet off the internet for them. I also tell them to look on YouTube and I give them a quick demonstration. Just Google it and you’ll find videos and instructions. It can definitely help. Can’t hurt.

the receptionist said "just come in at 7 am and Nick can help you, won''t take much time and there's no charge"

I met with the therapist and he quickly took me through the Epley maneuver...can't believe I waited so long to do it. I felt a little weird all day yesterday (ears and eyes I think).

Woke up this am and noticed good balance when I got out of bed. Yay!

I did read in the notes that you are supposed to not tilt your head back for 24 hrs after procedure. He didn't mention that to me, I am glad I read it. I had eye surgery a week ago and was supposed to have my last day of eye drops yesterday, but held off. I did put an eye drop in one eye prior to reading that note and after the procedure.

The beauty is I can redo the Epley as needed.

Also my wife has been researching the crystals and why we have them and there are a lot of articles on Vitamin D being a 'crystal buster'. We are going that route.

Sorry for the rambling. Happy in tennessee!

I had vertigo for the first (and only) time in November of 2022.

I googled it; I discovered the Epley maneuver; I printed out the instruction sheet; I checked YouTube and found videos by a couple of physical therapists, demonstrating how to do it.

Easy peasy.

It took about three tries, but it worked. I was never bothered by it again.

I met with the therapist and he quickly took me through the Epley maneuver...can't believe I waited so long to do it. I felt a little weird all day yesterday (ears and eyes I think).

Woke up this am and noticed good balance when I got out of bed. Yay!

I did read in the notes that you are supposed to not tilt your head back for 24 hrs after procedure. He didn't mention that to me, I am glad I read it. I had eye surgery a week ago and was supposed to have my last day of eye drops yesterday, but held off. I did put an eye drop in one eye prior to reading that note and after the procedure.

The beauty is I can redo the Epley as needed.

Also my wife has been researching the crystals and why we have them and there are a lot of articles on Vitamin D being a 'crystal buster'. We are going that route.

Sorry for the rambling. Happy in tennessee!

It is like the miracle, isn't it? A seemingly stupid set of motions does so much good.

Thank you for the vitamin D suggestion. Look, I don't know if it matters, but the last time I had vertigo 4 years ago is right when I started taking vitamin D. I then increased the amount during the pandemic.

No vertigo since then.

IIRC the first time I had vertigo which was pretty severe was after a root canal at my dentist. I was in the chair for an hour or so with my head laid back pretty far. Since then my attacks have been related to my head positioning.

I did it years ago and it seemed to help, though my vertigo wasn't bad. I have a friend who had vertigo so bad she couldn't get out of bed. She was treated by being put on a table where they moved her and the problem disappeared immediately.

Back
Top Bottom