Metformin & Berberine

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I've recently started taking Metformin and am working to reverse pre-diabetes and lower my A1C.

I see in several groups and have read scientific studies of people taking both Metformin & Berberine (available over the counter)....
My next doctor appointment isn't until late April and I can of course call them and ask but
I was wondering if anyone here has taken both and what your experience was with this?

I had never heard of it, just read an article about it.
Looks like an interesting herb.

I read a study a while back that the combo of metformin and berberine is more effective than taking just one of them. Some kind of synergy effect, I guess. Don't know I read what you've read. David Sinclair (genetic prof at Harvard Med School and author of Lifespan) thinks berberine is safe to take and he sees it as an alternative for people who can't get their doc to prescribe metformin (for longevity, Alz, cardiac reasons, etc). I've taken berberine with no noticeable side effects.

Last edited:
I take metformin only, and has had a meaningful impact in reversing/eliminating diabetes (but was initially mild to begin with). My only complaint is that the amount I can tolerate is limited by adverse gastric reactions.

You folks who take Metformin should know that it does not reverse or eliminate diabetes. It is used to treat diabetes and pre-diabetes. You are in denial if you believe otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm on a low carb diet and my blood glucose dropped way below pre-diabetic levels. Doc didn't want me on Metformin - apparently risk/benefit did not fit my profile. I'm looking forward to my next A1C to learn whether I've made strides in lowering it substantially.

Good luck in your diabetes management.

Mixing prescribed medication(s) with self-prescribed remedies can be dangerous. You may want to read some authoritative sites, and ask your doctor about this now.

What I read (and can't find now) mentioned not using both. The reason was the possibility of low blood sugar, which can be dangerous.

There are side effects, too, just as with Metformin and other drugs. You should learn about those before going too experimental, IMO.

I take metformin only, and has had a meaningful impact in reversing/eliminating diabetes (but was initially mild to begin with). My only complaint is that the amount I can tolerate is limited by adverse gastric reactions.

You might ask about taking metformin extended release if you are not already taking it. It is generally better tolerated as far as gi side effects go. I was prescribed regular metformin for an off label reason ( a genetic mutation) and could not take it at all. Metformin er allowed me to take 2000 mg/ day

Just an anecdote, I take Berberine (not Metformin) without any side effects.

I've recently started taking Metformin and am working to reverse pre-diabetes and lower my A1C.

I see in several groups and have read scientific studies of people taking both Metformin & Berberine (available over the counter)....
My next doctor appointment isn't until late April and I can of course call them and ask but
I was wondering if anyone here has taken both and what your experience was with this?
I’ve been trying a few things, along with my rovustatin, to lower cholesterol and address higher than normal coronary calcium score. I have been taking metformin also, we had quite of bit of extra from a family member who wasn’t taking it anymore but just kept renewing. I stumbled upon Berberine when I was looking for supplements that acted as a pcsk9 inhibitor - that lowers cholesterol and blood sugar.

The metformin by itself lowered A1C from 5.5 to 5.1, and blood sugar from around 120 to 108. More recently I have been taking Berberine, along with other supplements, to see if it will make a difference.

When taking both Berberine and Metformin at times when I get up I may feel a bit lightheaded. Also I’m pretty sure it was causing some mild constipation. I stopped the Berberine due to the constipation and it went away. I’m going to give a low dose another go with plenty of fluids to see what happens.

My next bloodwork is in a few weeks so we will see if any of this stuff makes a difference. I am typically not a believer in supplements but thought I’d give some a try.

FYI, my wife was able to reverse her Type II diabetes back in 2014. Eight weeks to flush the pancreas and liver of extra adipose tissue. Her HBA1C went from 11 back down to 5 and has remained there ever since.

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#background

Wow! I've never heard of this although it makes sense as many people who have lost a lot of weight no longer need insulin/meds, etc. It makes sense with intermittent fasting too (You burn fat in your body when there's no fat in the form of food to burn).

What do you mean by the eight weeks of flushing?

Have you tried the ER version? I could not take regular metformin but could tolerate the ER version...

With my cardiologist's approval, I started taking Berberine(not taking Metformin). No side effects, and along with some other mild diet modifications my A1C went down a little after 3 months. Don't know if it's the diet, or Berberine, or a little from both. Next test in a few months. FWIW, based on my experience the Berberine is worth a try.

Wow! I've never heard of this although it makes sense as many people who have lost a lot of weight no longer need insulin/meds, etc. It makes sense with intermittent fasting too (You burn fat in your body when there's no fat in the form of food to burn).

The reason why people burn fat with intermittent fasting is because insulin levels have time to drop low enough to allow fat burning. Insulin blocks fat burning.

The reason why people burn fat with intermittent fasting is because insulin levels have time to drop low enough to allow fat burning. Insulin blocks fat burning.

Right, if insulin is high, there is circulating glucose to be burned and your body will burn that first. By fasting, your insulin comes down and your body will start burning fat (hopefully the bad fat around your organs) - (according to Jason Fung (Obesity Code)). You let your body eat your fat (ew...)

Last edited:

At the time it involved eating 800 calories/day for 8 weeks. Since then they have modified it but the basic concept is the same. The adipose tissue leaves the pancreas in a week or so, the liver takes longer.

Click around the various pages on the link I shared, lots of good info. They are now in full-blown trials. Last I heard this works for around 70% of people who try it.

I was just given this research paper which speaks to the usage of them.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paper...adverse effects were,in the treatment of T2DM

The research paper is actually a review article. They wanted to review all the studies that they could find. A search revealed 552 articles, which they whittled down to just 13 studies, all in mainland China, and all that had serious flaws. The results are intriguing but better studies are needed. There are a few drug interactions to watch out for with berberine, but overall it seems quite safe.

"adverse gastric reactions" I was on Metformin and suffered the adverse gastric reactions chronic diarrhea until my Gastro doc suggested I get off Metformin and the day I did that was the last time I have had diarrhea.

At the time it involved eating 800 calories/day for 8 weeks. Since then they have modified it but the basic concept is the same. The adipose tissue leaves the pancreas in a week or so, the liver takes longer.

Click around the various pages on the link I shared, lots of good info. They are now in full-blown trials. Last I heard this works for around 70% of people who try it.

Thank you for the info. After reading your post, I had a little Deja Vu. I read about someone posting about this on this forum some time ago....

I just looked it up and found your old post! You posted about it over 6 years ago. The amazing part is that although it didn't dawn on me at first, I did remember what I read over 6 years ago! :dance:

I am on trulicity now with good results ..gave up the old school meds .

once a week shot

i tried a plant based diet many years ago …not for me …

plants go with food. ha ha

my wife and i have been gym rats for 20 years , eat healthy and i run 3 miles every other day even at 71 .

despite all that genetics win out and medication for my diabetes is and has been a fact of life …it is worse since i had covid …

it’s under control but not as low as pre covid when it was down to pre diabetic levels

Last edited:
Maybe just a coincidence, but a thread about Metformin came up a few days ago on a tinnitustalk forum related to its effect on treating Long COVID and tinnitus.

Back
Top Bottom