ER Permanent Relocation vs Seasonal Rentals?

The second move is usually closer so a lot of the boxes can be moved in your car and only the furniture has to be moved

We only moved an hour and a half away, and everything that I could physically carry and would fit in the pickup truck went to a storage facility 10 minutes from the new house. So when the movers came they were packed in about an hour, the bill was $600 and change.

Hi,
We choose to rent hands down. We do 3 months in central Florida. Lots of homes and condos for rent by the week are very empty during slow Disney season. 3 months guaranteed rental from adults with no kids, no cleaning fees and someone to watch the house works out well. Monthly rents inlcudes heated pool, all utilities, and furnished home or condo.

For us, and this is just us, this is a fun fast paced area with not all "old people." I cannot just sit and be retired. I work 2 days at a big time golf course as starter and spouse works 12 hrs a week at Disney. She loves it and made several friends of other retired midwesterners down for 3 months...plus free golf and free Disney for us and friends and family who visit!!
Traffic is very managable compared to any Florida cities on the coasts.

We spend 9 months back in Iowa and get back just in time for golf, spring, and summer. We do Christmas with the kids and grandkids and head out.
Thought about buying but the numbers don't come close even if we try to rent the property when we are not there. Plus no worries about real estate tax, hurricanes, bugs, HOA fees, mold, yard work and so on.

Trade off is we don't choose the furniture, the carpet color, the wall color. We don't have our decorations on the wall, or our pattern of dishes in the cupboard. We do, however get to see the home before we rent, see where we will be living and the furnishings. We have 3 bedrooms and two baths and that is more than enough, even when we have visitors.
For us works great...and all the money is still in Vanguard waiting for the market to turn around!!!!

Just spent 4 days in Fairfield Glade with friends who own a beautiful golf course home there. Weather can be iffy in Dec-April, but golfers paradise with $25 green fees on 4-5 different courses for members. Membership is very reasonable, under $1500/year as I recall.
Large lots with houses very well spaced. All 55+ ages in the homes. There are time share condos in the Glade but far removed from the homes.
Shopping is expanding rapidly in the area and it is about a 10 minute drive from inside the "Glade" to any grocery store.
Hope this helps..

All the best...Ted

I didn't here discussions from rocky mountain states??

I have been to Denver twice- once in late winter and once on July 4 weekend. The temperature difference between the two times of year was about 10 degrees (60 in winter, maybe 75 in summer).

My understanding is that Denver is sunny around 300 days per year. The High altitude keeps it cool in summer, and the mountains absorb most of the snow storms (go 45 miles west and snow can change from 0 inches to 360 inches yearly).

I live in Ohio now. I'd like to retire to Colorado and ski in the winters and do other stuff in summers (white water raft or other).

Back
Top Bottom