ER Quotes

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh--anything but work."
Abraham Lincoln

Here is one from 2 days ago but you need some family background first:

I favor my maternal grandfather (in many many ways including looks).
Everyone says so. Anyway, he made good money but never
accumulated much. OTOH, he enjoyed himself immensely (read...
did pretty much as he pleased). Now, as far back as I can remember
I never saw him do much "work" unless it was something that he enjoyed.
I guess he considered himself ERed although my Grandmother
was still working like a horse. The other day, Mom and I were
discussing the Depression and she said "everyone I knew had a big garden". So, I said something about her Mom and Dad working in the garden and she says, "Oh, your grandfather never worked in the garden."
:D

JG

"My financial advisor says I'm in for another great year in the stock market! Only a few more years like this one and I'll be set to retire!" - 73 year old man still working

justin said:
"My financial advisor says I'm in for another great year in the stock market! Only a few more years like this one and I'll be set to retire!" - 73 year old man still working

DAMN!!! I wonder how much longer the FA plans to work:confused:

O Winter! ruler of the inverted year, . . . I crown thee king of intimate delights, Fireside enjoyments, home-born happiness, And all the comforts that the lowly roof Of undisturb'd Retirement, and the hours Of long uninterrupted evening, know.
William Cowper (1731 - 1800)

To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level.
Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

It is in his pleasure that a man really lives; it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self.
Agnes Repplier (1855 - 1950)

Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good.
Soren Kierkegaard (1813 - 1855)

And, of course, my sig if it is still there.

When the work is done, and one's name is becoming distinguished, to withdraw into obscurity is the way of Heaven. -- Lao-tzu

wab said:
When the work is done, and one's name is becoming distinguished, to withdraw into obscurity is the way of Heaven. -- Lao-tzu

This is a fairly demanding bar to clear; and one that I would imagine many of us have not achieved.

Certainly I can't think of anywhere that my name has become distinguished!
:)
Ha

When describing heaven, biblically or otherwise, w*rk is never mentioned. So, I'm just practicing for paradise. Eagle43

Retired is being twice tired, I've thought
First tired of working,
Then tired of not.
- Richard Armour

The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income. - George Foreman

and my favorites....

No man is free who is not master of himself. - Epictetus

Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). - song by Guy Lombardo

Follow your own path and let people talk. Dante

Back
Top Bottom