European car rentals for a tall American

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am about 6'2" tall and I wish to rent a car in France/Germany for a few weeks. The bigger the car, the higher the cost, but I'm not sure I will fit in those compact cars.

For those of you over 6 feet tall, and have rented a car in Europe, what size car did you like, or not like?

Auto Europe has the following car sizes: Mini, Economy, Compact, Mid-Size, Luxury, Station Wagon. What fit you best?

Then there is the automatic/manual problem. I haven't used a stick shift for over a decade.

You can get an automatic in Europe. It will just cost you more, and there probably won't be many to choose from. So that will limit your options before you even start looking at body styles.

I am 6'2" and have rented multiple cars in Europe, always renting the cheapest cars I could find. Never had an issue with not fitting. Normally I am at the max seat setting, but it hasn't been an issue and head height was fine. When you pick up your car, if you don't fit, just go back in and they will give you a new car, they aren't monsters. If you have a concern, get a mid-size. Normally the price of an automatic is ridiculous compared to a standard. Last time it had been a while since I drove a manual, and my DW may have felt a bit car sick until I got used to driving a stick again, but it only took a day or so to get the hang of it. I have found Hertz to be the best rental car agency by far.

Last edited:
I'm about your height, and I've never had any problem fitting into an European rental car. I've always gone after the compact size for the two of us. Last time there were four of us, I went with a mid-size station wagon.

I'm sorry, but I'm not about to go the mini route as a Smart car is just not large enough for my size 15 feet. That's what you might get with the smallest car.

And don't worry about driving a manual shift. It's like riding a bicycle--it comes back to you.

We have plenty of tall people here too (the average male is about 6 feet tall in France and in Germany). You should have no trouble finding a car you can fit in. If you plan on driving on highways, try to avoid cars designed mainly for city driving. They might not be very comfortable on long drives and feel underpowered on hilly terrain. For Renaults, I would consider at the very least a Clio or Megane. For Peugeots, the 308 and up. For Citroens, the C3 and up.

Automatic transmissions are becoming ubiquitous on newer cars so you might get lucky.

I'm 6'1" and almost always rent the smallest (meaning cheapest) size cars available in Europe, and have never had a problem. Sure, they're not as roomy as my full size pickup at home, but they work just fine. And I actually prefer the smaller cars in Europe, as the roads are a lot narrower than back home, and especially if it's a left side driving country, having that extra buffer room on the sides makes a big difference.

Don’t worry about a stick. It is like riding a bike. After a few popped clutches you will be fine.

I rent a stick when we are in Europe each fall. It will all come back. There are many parts of Europe where I find a stick more preferable than riding the brake with an automatic.

Size of car will may not be the issue. It may be style of car. The low end Fiats are very boxy and have plenty of headroom.

We do a fair number of rentals from autoeurope. We usually select the lowest or second lowest. Our experience is that we inevitably get upgraded at a city location. Not so at an airport location though.

6' 5" tall and rented many small European cars, always manual transmission. Never had a problem fitting in them and I have a 37 inch inseam.

Back
Top Bottom