Euthanizing the family pet

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
What a crappy day,Looks like our family cat for the past 10yrs has lost her battle with diabetes.what used to be a 10lb frisky fun pet has deteriorated to a 5lb lifeless cat that justs lays on the floor waiting for death,at first she just had some rear leg mobility issues but was still able to get to food and litter box,last week she stopped eating and drinking and no longer moves at all,picking her up she feels like a rag doll so this weekend we made the hard choice that its in her best interest to be euthanized as the vet says there is no way her condition will improve and spending hundreds of dollars to keep her at the vets on life support will only be postponing the inevitable.
God speed Tiger:(

I'm sorry. I too lost a cat to diabetes 17 years ago. It's never easy to lose a buddy.

Sorry about your feline family member. There are occasional posts here over similar sad events, so you're not alone. It hurts a lot to lose a beloved pet. Just take comfort in all the good years you gave one another.

I'm so sorry for you and your family. Since she has no quality of life, you are making the kindest decision for her. Still, this doesn't make it much easier. Try to focus on the good times with Tiger and know you gave her a good life. There are so many homeless animals many of which will never know love and comfort. Tiger is one of the lucky ones.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is so hard to watch our pets suffer and also hard to make that decision to end their pain. I recently lost my 16 yr old dog and the pain is still there. Give yourself a big hug and know that the suffering is over. Your cat was so blessed to have you.

jambo,
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your pet. Best of luck to all of you as you remember Tiger fondly, know you did the right thing, and let the healing begin.

I had to do the same a year ago. Our cat at 19 years had enough. My 5 year old and 4 year old were heartbroken. They kept saying "don't do it, don't do it". Tough thing for this Dad to do. Hurt the family all around. Took me about 9 months to stop looking down when I walked in the house (didn't want to trip over her).

It does get better and is actually pretty nice right now to be pet free. A dog though maybe in the cards soon.

My condolences as well. We've lost two cats in the last nine months, and the house just doesn't feel right without them.

So sorry to hear about Tiger.

I went though this back in April with one of my dogs. It's a very difficult decision to make. It still hurts to think about her. But, finally you know that it's best to let them go. I'll be thinking of you.

I too am sorry for your loss jambo.

As the father of the family it has always been my "duty" to put down any valued family pet (mostly dogs and cats but a few birds too) and I have never understood why the duty has always fallen to me but I have accepted it.

So sorry. Sounds like you have a kind vet who is putting your cat's best interests first, as you are.

I feel for you Jambo.

I have a schnauzer who is just beginning the slide. Its a fine line between quality time and suffering. In the end I hope we get it right.

Mickeyd: You have my total admiration, I freely admit I am not strong enough, fortunately my DW is...

So sorry for your loss:(

We went through the same thing with my kitty that had diabetes; she developed trouble walking and had lost a significant amount of weight, too. It's a tough disease to manage. Thankfully you have a vet who is understanding and helped you make the difficult, but right choice.

sorry to hear about your pet...I just went through the same 2 weeks ago and it hurts...I hope you have a lot of pictures and memories when she was healthy...:)

Back
Top Bottom