Ever had a bizarre boss?

1977. I was 19, newly married and desperate for a job. I was hired by a heating/air conditioning company with the promise of apprenticeship training to become a journeyman HVAC technician. I was instead given an endless string of sh*t jobs for minimum wage and was constantly ridden about working too slowly, taking more than 2 minutes to use the bathroom, etc. Finally one hot August day, I found myself digging out the flower beds at his house under the direction of his insufferable wife. It occurred to my young, inexperienced brain that this wasn't leading to a career as a highly paid HVAC technician. I left within a week.

I later met another former employee of his who went through the same thing with this company. This was a pattern for this guy to go through disposable
workers like kleenex. Use 'em til they quit, find another and repeat.:mad:

Bizarre? An image comes to mind: one of my seven “bosses” at long-ago mega-corp called me into his office because he was celebrating a milestone in his medical treatment. He had had a liver transplant a few months earlier and was now allowed to toss out his drain which was a long tube with yucky pinkish fluid in it. He waved it at me; I may have asked him to get that thing out of my face but was otherwise speechless. That was the oddest form of harassment I’ve ever experienced. Any others are deeply suppressed.

I once had a boss who, while interviewing me for a promotion, felt it necessary to inform me that he had a pimple on his penis.

Wow...the world is full of them!

Reading about all of these "bad bosses" makes one appreciate having a normal or "good" situation. Over 30 years in the workplace I've really only had only 2 stints with the "jerks" of the business world. One stands out above and beyond all others....fully dishonest. Hired me only to do damage to a former employer of mine with deceit, threats, and a patent infringement lawsuit he was fighting. After 5 months of me standing up for what was honest and his violating my contract I had my lawyer go clean out my office and tell them the de facto termination of my contract was such I owed them nothing more. I should have pursued him in court but my theory was "you will always lose a pissing match with a skunk" and life was too short for years of battles. The other situation was working for someone mentally unstable....not good, but still not as bad as the dishonest "b**stard" that came close to giving me a heart attack. Since then I've put up with unique and sometimes less than perfect situations but nothing like these two. Never treat anyone such that you ask them to do something for the business that is dishonest, unethical, immoral, or dangerous....that's my motto.

I once had a boss who, while interviewing me for a promotion, felt it necessary to inform me that he had a pimple on his penis.

That takes the cake :crazy:

I guess it could have been worse. He could have displayed said pimple.

I worked for a guy who was really nice, but a total Seconal freak (downer addict). The megacorp was trying to squeeze him out and couldn't wait until he turned 52 to let him go. I felt more sorry for him than anything.
They later brought in the President's next-door-neighbor to take his job (as if that one wasn't the plan all along), who developed a crush on me when his marriage was breaking up, but, in my mind, was so ewwwww icky that I didn't really pick up on it until after I left to return to college. In his dreams....ewwww icky.

Back
Top Bottom