Experiences with Portugal weather in September?

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We're planning a trip for next September and considering Portugal. We want to fly into Amsterdam and out of London to home. So we'll be spending some time in Northern Europe (Haarlem and Isle of Wight). This argues for early September but then we're wondering about the comfort level of the weather in Portugal in September.

It appears that Portugal (Lisbon, Obidos) has decent temperatures but the humidity is perhaps a concern? Here is a link to the weather in Lisbon: https://weatherspark.com/y/32022/Average-Weather-in-Lisbon-Portugal-Year-Round And here is the humidity chart:

Capture.jpg

Any experiences that others have had traveling in Portugal in September?

Not much help here I'm afraid....been to Portugal a number of times, (experienced rain in Porto), but can't say I recall humidity as being a strong factor. (Of course, it's higher on the coast.)

(If you're going to Obidos, (on a day trip?), and haven't been before, I'd suggest getting there early before the mobs arrive.)

Enjoy your trip.

We had good Sept. weather in Lisbon and Algarve. Warm, not particularly humid. Extremely comfortable. You will not really know until you are there!

You never know with weather. Our four favourite days in Rome, fabulous weather and lighting, was in mid November a few years ago.

We were in Portugal in late September. It rained or threatened to rain everyday. With that being said, we still look back on it as one of our greatest trips every. Portugal is a hidden gem in Europe, especially the Douro wine region and Porto.
Just bring a good rain jacket and umbrella. We also found a good brimmed hat helped too. Keeps the rain off your neck.

Hidden? From whom? ;)

I don't know many who put Portugal at the top of their travel list, but I know a bunch who go or want to go to some of what I consider the tourist hell spots...

Cinque Terre
Venice

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like we will be comfortable with the weather that time of year. Will hope for normal.:)

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like we will be comfortable with the weather that time of year. Will hope for normal.:)

Sounds like an awesome trip!

We often fly into Amsterdam and return to the US from another European city. Or the reverse depending on the time of year.

I schedule things to visit the northernmost part of Europe in the warmer part of the time period, and Southern Europe (which includes Paris) in the cooler part of the time period.

I have been thinking about going to Portugal, but in late Spring 2019 to avoid the heat. Will have up to 2 months, so will have time to visit some parts of Spain that we missed in an earlier trip.

Wonder why earlier posters all talk about late summer or fall. Why not spring or early summer?

Same here. We recently talked to someone that runs birding trips in Portugal and it inspired us to go soon.

We like Portugal, or at least what we have seen. Algarve, Lisbon, Porto, Douro Valley.

We found the people to be very friendly, more so than Spain. We would go back in a flash.

We had good Sept. weather in Lisbon and Algarve. Warm, not particularly humid. Extremely comfortable. You will not really know until you are there!

You never know with weather. Our four favourite days in Rome, fabulous weather and lighting, was in mid November a few years ago.

Your mention of Rome set off some other thoughts, thanks. Now we are thinking maybe combining Portugal with Italy (some combo of Rome, Orvieto, Siena, Florence). It has the advantage of just dealing with warmer southern weather instead of a mix of north/south. We are somewhat familiar with the Italian cities but haven't been to Orvieto.

Orvieto is a wonderful area. We stayed in an agriturismo just outside town for a few days.

We flew from Porto to Rome a few years ago on TAP. The fare was incredibly inexpensive. Porto, but most especially the Douro Valley is a wonderful area. Lots of small mountainside B&B's along the river-many in wineries. This is an area we want to explore again but for more. Wine here is very nice.

Generally we do it ourselves but for Portugal we were thinking of doing a Rick Steves Tour. Then doing more on our own either in Portugal or Italy. I don't want to drive in Portugal or Italy. Can be limiting but it will save my nerves.

I have been thinking about going to Portugal, but in late Spring 2019 to avoid the heat. Will have up to 2 months, so will have time to visit some parts of Spain that we missed in an earlier trip.

Wonder why earlier posters all talk about late summer or fall. Why not spring or early summer?

We like warmer weather, so prefer September/early October to April, May or even June for European trips.

When we travel we try not worry about something we can’t control: the weather. Pack accordingly and enjoy.

We like warmer weather, so prefer September/early October to April, May or even June for European trips.

I remember Paris hitting 97 in early June. Avignon high 90s mid-September.

Southern Spain can reach 120 degrees in August - it’s like SE Arizona in the summer.

So we tend to only visit Northern European countries in the summer, late May and early Sept.

We're planning a trip for next September and considering Portugal. We want to fly into Amsterdam and out of London to home. So we'll be spending some time in Northern Europe (Haarlem and Isle of Wight). This argues for early September but then we're wondering about the comfort level of the weather in Portugal in September.

It appears that Portugal (Lisbon, Obidos) has decent temperatures but the humidity is perhaps a concern? Here is a link to the weather in Lisbon: https://weatherspark.com/y/32022/Average-Weather-in-Lisbon-Portugal-Year-Round And here is the humidity chart:

Capture.jpg

Any experiences that others have had traveling in Portugal in September?

I spent a few weeks in Portugal a long time ago (before I got married) late summer from August into September. The weather was okay in the Algarve. There were a lot of British Expats living/working in the Algarve back then so there was very little language barrier. I imagine it's the same now. I wasn't that impressed with Lisbon or the food in Portugal. The best thing I can say about Portugal is that we met two wonderful women (sisters) from Holland who lived who lived in Haarlem. My friend married one of the women and are still happy together. I think the highlight of your trip will be Amsterdam/Haarlem and areas such as Zandvoort. The Dutch are very nice people. The Isle of Wight is also nice.

I was in Lisbon during the first two weeks of October 2017. It was pleasant, but hot. Our Airbnb did not have air conditioning, and was warm and stuffy at night. But during the day we were out and about exploring, and were grateful for the sunny weather.

Wikipedia says the following Sept. weather data for Lisbon:
Average high temperature: 80 degrees
Average low temperature: 64 degrees
Average rainy days: 6 days
Average precipitation: 1.3 inches
Mean hours of sunshine: 260 hours

In other words, Portugal's weather is very good versus other places in Europe. And Septamber's a great month to go.

Back
Top Bottom