Eye Glass Rx Problem?

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need to go see my eye Dr, as I am noticing that the closeup vision in my right eye improves when I take my progressive lens glasses off, while in my left eye, it is just the opposite. Additionally, my distance vision in the right eye is worse than the left with glasses on. Does this sound like a bad RX for my right eye or could something else be causing this like a cataract?

It just sounds like your prescription has changed. I had that happen this year - my prescription changed significantly in just a few months. I didn't know it could change that fast after being the same for years.

But see the eye doc anyway. If it is more than that you'll want to know quickly.

See the doc, could be either.

I'm having cataract surgery on Monday. I didn't notice at first but the distance vision in my right eye has degraded terribly. I think this may be common, light bothers me, halos and multiple objects. What the Optometrist told me was they correct vision with lens until that no longer works. Kind of makes sense as he'd told me over 10 years ago I had cataracts they just weren't bad enough, yet.

Last edited:
See the doc, could be either.
I'm having cataract surgery on Monday. I didn't notice at first but the distance vision in my right eye has degraded terribly. What the Optometrist told me was they correct vision with lens until that no longer works. Kind of makes sense as he'd told me over 10 years ago I had cataracts they just weren't bad enough, yet.

+1 My optometrist told me I had cataracts years and years ago, but that nothing needed to be done until I felt they were affecting my quality of life and that I should tell him when they were. Being chicken, there wasn't much chance of that happening.

So last summer he said he could no longer correct my vision adequately, and that I was on the borderline of being unable to legally drive. So, I had the surgery done.

One interesting thing is that my astigmatism, which had grown worse over the years, was apparently mainly in my lenses (the lenses inside my eyes). The artificial lenses that were substituted for them during the cataract surgery had no astigmatism correction, and yet I think I can see pretty well. So apparently the cataracts themselves can cause all sorts of vision problems other than just making things darker and less colorful.

MRG, good luck with your cataract surgery on Monday! I will be cheering you on from the sidelines, and hope your results will be as phenomenal and wonderful as mine were last month.

Last edited:
Cataracts can cause a decrease in distance vision. I've read that they can also result in a temporary improvement in near vision.

For the 3 years before I had cataract surgery, I had several distance prescription changes. I couldn't seem to keep up with it!

In any case, many things can cause vision changes, so it's best to see an ophthalmologist.

I had an exam and got new glasses in the Spring. I didn't realize that things could change so fast. At that time the Dr told me I had cataracts, but didn't say anything about getting them removed. I just need to get myself checked and see whats what.

MRG, good luck with your cataract surgery.

DFW_M5, if you do have cataracts, don't hesitate to have the surgery. The change will be amazing. I had both eyes done last year and my vision is spectacular! :D

There are a number of threads on this forum detailing the process.

MRG, good luck with your procedure.

I just went to a new doc.... I was shocked to hear him say that my vision was 2 diopers better than my current prescription... say what!!!

Now, I see very well with my current prescription.... I am hesitant to buy glasses that are so far off of my last prescription since it 'improved'... I have never had improved vision...

Will look at the cheap sites and maybe buy a very low cost glasses and just see....

I had an exam and got new glasses in the Spring. I didn't realize that things could change so fast. At that time the Dr told me I had cataracts, but didn't say anything about getting them removed. I just need to get myself checked and see whats what.

MRG, good luck with your cataract surgery.

Thank you. I'll post something after the surgery.

When I was a kid my eyes changed very rapidly. Every fall new glasses, by winter I couldn't read the board. It was really funny in the spring trying to play baseball.

Back
Top Bottom