Fall is in the air

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Fall is one of my favorite ties of year. The sounds, scenery, smells animal behavior and weather are a time of transition. Spring and fall in the north are truly an amazing time for the outdoors.

I went to ranch for a short time yesterday to check on things because I'll be gone for a few days so took a couple of pictures. The Yellowstone River shots I will leave till next week for the color changes if I can catch those perfect days to do so.

Please share your fall pictures and transitioning time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 54
There are things I love and hate about all seasons. Love the temps going down and football. I hate the sun going down early and pumpkin spice anything.

Yesterday kayaking, noticed a lot of Maple tree leafs are turning multiple colors rust on the lake's perimeter. 'been in the low 40ies in the mornings.

After 30 years I moved from Southern AZ to ~45degree N latitude in April.
I am NOT ready for the leaves to start changing and birds/ducks/geese starting to bunch up for migration.

Fall has always been my favorite season, whether living up north or south. It's been a hot & humid summer here as usual, the break in temps has been most welcome. We even slept with the windows open the last two nights - heavenly.

Autumn and winter and the " 'ber months " are my favorite times of the year!
Love the cooler weather and the crispness of a sunny fall day, with the changing colors of leaves.
Thoroughly enjoy Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The only thing I am not thrilled with is too much snow, if it causes power outages. Since I don't need to drive anywhere, I can enjoy it from inside.

Spring is a joyful time of renewal, generally still with cooler weather here.

Summer is too hot for me if it hits over 70.

Beautiful property, I'm jealous!

My furnace kicked in briefly this morning, it must be fall.

Fall is my busy time of the year and one of my favorites.

I throw a big Halloween bash every year and also do it up for the trick or treaters. This takes a lot of time for the props and the party and the toys and candy.

It's also Fall mushroom hunting season. The rain is starting early this year, Saturday night starts a long stretch of rain which should cause those beauties to pop up from the ground. There should be a lot of chanterelles and the lobster mushrooms are already popping up. I am hoping to find a cauliflower mushroom this year, but those are much harder to find. Then there are the bear's tooth, boletes (porcini), lions mane, chicken of the woods and hedge hogs.

Today is one of the last decent days on the coast so I am heading out for a beach day.

So much to do, so little time.

Some of you mentioned the leaves falling and cleanup work. I kind of enjoy those days with cleaning up the leaves on those crisp fall days. I don't consider it work but a joy to be outdoors and the great exercise I get from it. I have one of those push leaf sweepers and easy to do just walk.

My blood is too thin, I guess and I've been cold - especially at night. We finally turned the heat on at the Old Homestead. Next year, I'm not sure we'll stay this late. It was strange this year. Come Sept. 1, everything changed from summer to fall - instantaneously. YMMV

My blood is too thin, I guess and I've been cold - especially at night. We finally turned the heat on at the Old Homestead. Next year, I'm not sure we'll stay this late. It was strange this year. Come Sept. 1, everything changed from summer to fall - instantaneously. YMMV

I'm with you on the thin blood too. Lol

It seems like I'm always cold, but I just wear more layers. The one thing I dislike I will need to start to wear pants. When the long handles start, I don't take them off till May or first part of June. Lol

Yes fall is here. Finally out of the triple digits here in Phoenix....only 96 today...oh wait looks like we might hit 100 again next Tuesday. Well at least we're down to 70 for over night lows now.

I think it's going to be a bad fall color year around here due to lack of rain the past month or so. Normally my neighbor's maples (I think they're maples) are very colorful in the fall. Their leaves are starting to fall before becoming colorful.

So I probably won't get any good fall color pics. I'd like to get something like these - Lake in the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains, Michigan; and the winding road in Door County.

Attachments

• porcupine mtns Lake of the Clouds.jpg
    porcupine mtns Lake of the Clouds.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • Door county winding road 10132021 4.jpg
    Door county winding road 10132021 4.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 31
Certainly not here yet! We're still dealing with a few 100+ days here and there and probably will until late October.

We don’t get fall color or leaf change here either. Some years we skip winter entirely which is fine by me.

Last edited:
Not ready for fall colors here, but temps are much nicer. No heat needed yet, but not running the swamp coolers much and the HVAC air not at all. Ooh Aah. Comfy. :)

We had our landscape color change earlier this year. Grass went from bright green to crunchy brown. :)

Actually we do get some trees with color changes too but it's a bit early for that around here. Maybe more in November/December. Maybe

Last edited:
Yeah, we are getting close to Fall here in Montgomery County, Texas. It only got to 99 F here today and under a 100 F is just fine with me. Maybe by November we will see some "Fall" temps!:)

I'm with you on the thin blood too. Lol

It seems like I'm always cold, but I just wear more layers. The one thing I dislike I will need to start to wear pants. When the long handles start, I don't take them off till May or first part of June. Lol

Heh, heh, my dad told me that when he was w*rking as a cowboy in Texas, some of the "boys" were sown into their long handles and were cut out of them when spring came. This was depression era and dad was no cowboy.:cool:

Heh, heh, my dad told me that when he was w*rking as a cowboy in Texas, some of the "boys" were sown into their long handles and were cut out of them when spring came. This was depression era and dad was no cowboy.:cool:

LOL!!!
I wear them well into spring for many reasons beside staying warmer. I'm in the outdoors a lot and Longjohns work well to keep ticks away from the skin and T-shirt tucked in and pant legs inside boots.

Just like long sleeve shirt in hot weather keeps me cooler than short sleeve and sun beating down on the skin.

Ronstar, those are beautiful fall pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Looks good. We're just starting to turn. Peaks had some snowfall. The biggest sign is the deer. Getting ready to migrate and rut. I watched 3 little bucks fighting yesterday, and this morning, a big boy strolled down the middle of the road.

I think it's going to be a bad fall color year around here due to lack of rain the past month or so. Normally my neighbor's maples (I think they're maples) are very colorful in the fall. Their leaves are starting to fall before becoming colorful.

So I probably won't get any good fall color pics. I'd like to get something like these - Lake in the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains, Michigan; and the winding road in Door County.

Love those pics. I grew up in Northern WI and have been to both of those places.

I had a buddy in college (St Paul, MN) from Yardley PA that wore cut off jean shorts throughout the school year. In the winter he wore a wool sweater and still the jean shorts. Graduation week he showed up with a clean close haircut and a suit. Yup, dad was a big wig fortune 500 CEO. Kid was heading off to corporate America. I wonder if he has ever worn jeans shorts again.

Back
Top Bottom