Family HSA or self?

Yes, not dependent, but on my wife's HDHP, and would be allowed expenses to be covered by her HSA. However, if they were allowed to open their own HSA, I suspect, they could only use their own HSA funds?
Ya, I'm so lucky;-) a 29 year old and a 26 year old, still on our policy. I have run this by BCBS and they know the age of my kids and say that it is not a problem.

If they are not a dependent* then you or your wife cannot use HSA funds for their medical expenses. They could open an HSA and use their HSA funds.

The thing that is not a problem is them being on your policy... which is a whole different question/issue from what are eligible medical expenses for the purose of HSA withdrawals.

* or meet one of the exception

Last edited:
OP,

We in California encountered another restriction. Once we switched to ACA policy, we can no longer add our independent adult child to our policy. They have to purchase their own policy.

It is not clear if your DW is on her megacorp policy, or ACA policy.

Thanks for that link, now to understand it?
"[SIZE=-1]A policy that is subject to the requirements of subsection (1) must also offer the policyholder or certificateholder the option to insure a child of the policyholder or certificateholder at least until the end of the calendar year in which the child reaches the age of 30, if the child:(a) Is unmarried and does not have a dependent of his or her own;
(b) Is a resident of this state or a full-time or part-time student; and
(c) Is not provided coverage as a named subscriber, insured, enrollee, or covered person under any other group, blanket, or franchise health insurance policy or individual health benefits plan, or is not entitled to benefits under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act."

Section (1) says, "[SIZE=-1]must also offer the policyholder or certificate holder the option to insure a child //[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] reaches the age of 30[/SIZE]"[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Subsection (a) says, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]"Is unmarried and does not have a dependent of his or her own;"[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] Our child is married, I read this as, the Ins. Co. must give the option to cover the unmarried 30yr old, but doesn't say you can't give a married child coverage on a parents policy[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]up until 30 yrs old.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1] Discussion?
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]...[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]I read this as, the Ins. Co. must give the option to cover the unmarried 30yr old, but doesn't say you can't give a married child coverage on a parents policy[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]up until 30 yrs old.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
That appears correct.

I think you're mistaken on that.... only individual adults can have HSAs... if you look at the titling on your HSA statement it will only be for one adult person.... it doesn't list your kids does it?

However, HSA money can be used for eligible expenses of you, your spouse or your dependents:

I think we're saying the same thing differently. My account was in my name- but had the extra amount to bring it up to the family max. Plus the catch up amount. DH had an account in his name - but was a lower, individual amount. The total contributions combined, for the two accounts had to be under the family max, plus catchups...

So, yes, you are correct that what I called the family account was titled in my name... but since I also had the extra, allowable, contribution under the family limits... I think of it, and call it, the family account (to cover the dependent kids.)

Now that DH is on medicare - my account is the full family amount ($7100) vs the $3550 for individuals for 2020. So in my head (and many of the articles written about it) it's the family account.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom