Family & money & death & paperwork

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Was not sure where to put this.

Money & angst: feel free to ignore. Not sure why I am posting. Just needed someone to talk to.

Mother died in Feb '03. Didn't find out 'til June. Haven't had much contact with relatives since. They have custody of all papers & pictures & mementos.

Today I got a call from a rep of an investment firm. It seems Mother left a small inheritance (just a few thousand). Rep said she had difficulty finding me & finally tracked me via Father.

(It's not a scam, I recall signing some papers years ago.)

As Mother's name is first on the account, I can't get the money without a death certificate. I explained the circumstances in general terms. Rep said she will contact Father concerning certificate.

How does one prove someone is dead without an official certificate?

Khan as I remember it was pretty easy to get a death certificate . I just went to the county office and they gave me as many as I needed for a small fee .I have also gotten certificates from this source . www.vitalcheck .com .
Sorry for your troubles !

The rep said she will get back in touch. I don't even know where she died.

(Thanks for the link)

Last edited:
The rep said she will get back in touch. I don't even know where she died.

(Thanks for the link)

Khan, sorry to hear about this. One place you might check is an online search of the Social Security Death Index (assuming your Mom had Social Security). I'm not sure if records as recent as 2003 will be available, but if so, it will probably say where your mother died. Then you can request a copy of the certificate from the County records office there, or possibly there is some type of record you can get directly from the Social Security Administration, if the latter would be accepted by the investment firm.

Khan, sorry to hear about this. One place you might check is an online search of the Social Security Death Index (assuming your Mom had Social Security). I'm not sure if records as recent as 2003 will be available, but if so, it will probably say where your mother died. Then you can request a copy of the certificate from the County records office there, or possibly there is some type of record you can get directly from the Social Security Administration, if the latter would be accepted by the investment firm.

I just looked up an old friend on the Social Security Death Index. He died in February, 2009, and it showed that and indicated the state in which he had last lived. It also showed that he had never claimed his SS.

Interesting link W2R, thanks. I was able to find my folks easily.

Thanks for the link, W2R. I'm like Khan, in that there's a whole side of my family that I didn't have any contact with. I just found out my father died back in 2002 (I suspected it already). Found out about my grandfather too. Bookmarked the site, and will probably be using it often.

Yes, seems like a nice ready reference for those who wish to change their identity without even leaving the bedroom.'

Kahn, I was told that it would be easy for me to get one here in this city just by going to the Courthouse.

Suprised it gives the SSN of the deceased!

Which is why, after my Mom died, we contacted the credit bureaus and notified them of her passing and had her credit record noted.

I was unaware of the problem of identity theft from the deceased until a neighbor told us about his FIL. Apparently some time after the FIL died, his widow received a unfamiliar credit card bill with charges made after his date of death. Turns out someone opened up several credit cards in his name around the time of his death. She wasn't responsible for the charges, but still it was very upsetting for her.

OMG! It didn't even occur to me that people would do that. Good to know, Achiever51...good to know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom