Family Radios (Walkie Talkies)

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Anybody have recent experience with FRS/GMRS?

I've had some Motorola Talkabouts (decades old), but they don't have the connector for the headset/mic/PTT, so I was looking at eBay and Amazon. What got me to write this was that some of these radios mention that they don't necessarily connect automatically with other brands. I don't get that. I figured if it was on the same channel, then it would receive and transmit to any brand.

I've used them for some special purpose volunteer work, and they're quite capable. DW and I are both hams, so we've also used 2 meter and 440 HTs on trips to good effect.

But with cell phones that have unlimited everything in nearly all countries, there just isn't any reason to carry them anymore.

... But with cell phones that have unlimited everything in nearly all countries, there just isn't any reason to carry them anymore.
Yep, not really a need that I can see, other than taking them someplace you'd be afraid of losing your phone.

they don't necessarily connect automatically with other brands. I don't get that. I figured if it was on the same channel, then it would receive and transmit to any brand.

IIRC, some brands provided some 'privacy', by only un-muting when it saw a digital code that was sent when the PTT was pressed. Well, only privacy if everyone used it, but you could cut out other chatter that way, so you do not respond to every burst on the air.

-ERD50

... But with cell phones that have unlimited everything in nearly all countries, there just isn't any reason to carry them anymore.
Lots of places, even in the US, where cell phone coverage is poor to nonexistent. That would be a reason.

Lots of places, even in the US, where cell phone coverage is poor to nonexistent. That would be a reason.

Hypothetically. But without knowing the exact purpose planned, there is no way to give a definitive answer.

I have a set on the boat so I can talk to the wife from the engine room for various reasons.

They are cheap and unlike a cell phone won't cause any pain if dropped overboard or into the bilge.

Including on Large cruise ships, so you don't have to pay the outrageous ship cell or ship app texting plans.

I have a set that I bought in 2010 when we were going on a cruise with our DD and her family,because people on Cruise critic said that was a good idea. They worked for us so we could do differant things on ship and still stay in touch, We also used them a couple of times while traveling together but unless we were only a 1/2 mile or so apart they wern't so good for that.

Y...

IIRC, some brands provided some 'privacy', by only un-muting when it saw a digital code that was sent when the PTT was pressed. Well, only privacy if everyone used it, but you could cut out other chatter that way, so you do not respond to every burst on the air.

-ERD50

Now I recall, the purpose of that code to un-mute was for using walkie talkies in a group setting. If you wanted to talk to one person, you could push a button for their code, and only their unit would un-mute. And maybe a button could be set up for a group? Something like that.

I'm looking to buy some GMRS radios for an upcoming multi-vehicle cross country trip.
Way simpler than having to dial phone of the other driver every time you want to coordinate a pee stop.
On the motorcycles we had the helmets setup with Sena bluetooth... worked ok... but don't feel like wearing a full face helmet in my truck.

If you're all using iPhones, we've found the Walkie-Talkie app works very well.

I'm looking to buy some GMRS radios for an upcoming multi-vehicle cross country trip.
Way simpler than having to dial phone of the other driver every time you want to coordinate a pee stop.
On the motorcycles we had the helmets setup with Sena bluetooth... worked ok... but don't feel like wearing a full face helmet in my truck.
This is fairly close to my use case. The electronics in my headset have Bluetooth, so my phone can be connected, but the radio takes priority. I can connect any kind of radio, and I plan to have several types, depending if I'm in the boonies to chat with others or at an airfield.

The privacy code sounds like if you buy a set that doesn't have that feature, the digital squauk at the start of the transmission will be ignored, and you will hear everyone on that channel, which is what I want.

Back
Top Bottom