Favorite "acoustic version" songs

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A thread inspired by several enjoyable hours of YouTube surfing after following links that started with the "Live at Daryl's House" thread...

The traditional "unplugged" version is an artist leaving the electric instruments and amps behind, then strumming through his own song with all of the basics intact. These aren't always good, but can be when the alternative presentation confirms the original was solid:
heart crazy on you unplugged - YouTube

Better, however, is when the vocals and instrumental musicianship comes forward when the song is played quietly or more slowly. NPR's Tiny Desk concerts have a number of these. The classic:
Eric Clapton - MTV Unplugged FULL concert - HQ - YouTube

Then there are versions of band songs that are picked up by another artist who doesn't have a big sound. There are plenty of duds in this category, but sometimes the song is fun to hear in a new way...
The Civil Wars - Billie Jean (Live in the Bing Lounge) - YouTube
Cowboy Junkies - Powderfinger - YouTube

But my favorite "unplugged" songs keep the spirit of an original rock and roll song while bringing a new twist to the melody or harmonies. Throw in an unlikely artist from Country or Soul, and the result can stand on its own.
Black Dog Alison Krauss Robert Plant - YouTube

Just a man and his guitar:

Or a man and only his piano, nothing more:

Both of these gems fall into the first category I mentioned in the OP, solo or stripped down versions of the artist's own songs that were previously recorded or performed with a band.

I can't think of anyone except for Neil Young who did the electric / acoustic combo on the same record. Hey hey, My my (Into the Black) and Hey hey, My my (Out of the Blue) were the A and B sides of a single as well as the bookend songs on the Rust Never Sleeps album.

This song (altough not this particular performance) definitely goes near the top of my Favorite Acoustic Versions list:

Neil Young - Hey Hey, My My (Live at Farm Aid 1985) - YouTube

I just finished reading Neil's autobiography Waging Heavy Peace last week, and was pleased to learn that he wrote Rockin' in the Free World driving from Spokane to Seattle as the Berlin Wall was falling.

After a 22 year career of listening to pop and rock music for between 40 and 50 hours a week, I've realized that since ER, I haven't been listening to music much at all at home. I have, however, been engaged in a project to scan all the artwork and rip all the music from my collection of about 10,000 CD's to hard drive. After 3 years of doing this, I have managed to cut the collection in half. I have also discovered the joy of listening to classical music; something I didn't do before.

So although there is a lot to choose from, and although it is something of the obvious cliche "hit" in the classical world, I do love this piece. Here's my "acoustic" suggestion:

♫ Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No.1 ♫ - YouTube

One of my favorite mostly acoustic band.
Called 17 Hippies, from Berlin.

Playing Saragina Rumba.

In the top ten best albums EVER, Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy. Stone Temple Pilots did an acoustic remake of one of the songs named Dancing Days. Don't usually like covers, but this one is awesome. And how could anyone not like Neil-ion the chamelion, especially Don't Let It Bring You Down (see Annie Lennox version at the end of the movie American Beauty...almost wet my pants in the theater when the movie ended with this song).

It's probably not my favorite acoustic performance, but it's hard to beat The Beatles, whether together or separate:

Back
Top Bottom