Favorite Candy as a Kid

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, the election is over, many of our portfolios are down precipitously and we've snarled through the initial bailouts.

Every Christmas, DW, a 4th grade teacher, gets loads of candy from her kids and noshing on the candy got me to thinking about my favorite candies when I was a kid.

As a kid, my neighbor was a [-]drunk [/-] avid beer drinker and he'd give us neighborhood kids his empty bottles to trade in for the 2 cent deposit if we'd haul them to the store. Being a little corner store, they had a huge selection of penny candy behind the counter and we'd attempt to maximize the candy we got for our bottle money by buying all different kinds.

My favorites were the filling pullers like Mary Janes and Nut Chews, although I remember liking the rolls of black licorice and individually packaged malted milk balls.

Anybody else out there with a sweet tooth for those classic candies?

Sweet Tarts at one point, but best association was Saturday nights with the family sharing the Sunday paper and a bowl of raisins, peanuts, and chocolate chips mixed together.

Goobers (choc covered peanuts)
Butterfinger
Hershey's Almond Bar

and you can't bring candy to the Forum unless there is enough for everyone. :'(

Don't know if you guys remember this one but I really like Lick-a-maid, almost forgot about it.

Sugar daddies, turkish taffy, or candy cigarettes, but don't let mom see.

Lick-a-maid :confused:

Also loved B-O-N-O-M-O, oh, oh, oh, Bonomo Turkish Taffy, and Necco Wafers. And the occasional Sugar Daddy.

Coconut or cinnamon, depending on the day:

Mounds, Chick-O-Stik, Atomic Fire Balls, Hot Tamales

Jujy Fruits (they should be spelled "Juicy-Fruits"), but only at the Saturday matinees

Good 'n Plenty

Rock candy

Salt water taffy from the Jersey shore

I used to love Haribo's gummy candies (happy cola, gators, bears, strawberries, etc...).

As a kid (and I'm still just a big kid at heart!) I had a sweet tooth, and liked just about every kind of candy.....as long as it wasn't butterscotch, or coconut, or maple flavored...Yuck!

Especially liked Ju Ju Bees and Junior Mints at the movies! Besides them I liked Pixie Sticks, Smarties (I still eat a lot of Smarties!), Licorice Snaps, Good & Plenty, and almost everything chocolate! :D

My tastes haven't changed much at all over all these years!

Attachments

• Ju Ju Bees.jpg
    Ju Ju Bees.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 104
  • Licorice Snaps.JPG
    Licorice Snaps.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom