Favorite sandwich?

Peanut butter and raspberry jam always takes me home. My father used to like peanut butter, lettuce and Miracle whip which sounds odd but actually is quite good. My younger sister took it to the next level by adding sliced dill pickle. I never liked that one.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Have you ever tried a Thanksgiving sandwich? Leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce between two slices of bread!

It is an after-Thanksgiving staple at our house. I can only eat half of one, though!

Yes, I highly recommend this. minus the stuffing which gives me heartburn. something about the cranberry sauce makes it a treat. My mom likes turkey, cranberry sauce, lettuce, and a layer of cream cheese. That is real good.

We skip the stuffing and mashed potatoes, but add Brie Cheese, with a good rye for the bread. Maybe lettuce, and a little mayo. Hmmmm.

Lotsa good sandwiches listed here. Torta cubana, a crawfish or shrimp or oyster Poor Boy, Chicago Italian Beef or Hot Dog, Rueben, and on and on - all good!

-ERD50

2. Layer correctly. The correct order from top to bottom is bread, spread, soft veggie, meat, cheese, crunchy veggie, other crunchy, spread, bread. Spreads (dressing, mayo, mustard, hummus, oil, butter, etc) keep the bread from getting soggy. You want the cheese and meat (if using) together so the cheese melts into the meat. Crunchy stuff on top just has a better mouthfeel. I use to work at a national sandwich chain and this order is based on numerous studies they did to figure out what people like best. YMMV.

I'm sure you're right, and this is probably very good advice, but (meaning no offense to you personally) I have to vote for this as the most anal-retentive comment of the year so far.

Roast beef au jus for me.

I have made many dishes, but this I have not made at home and only have when eating out.

I should mark this as something to make next. The trick of course is in making a good sauce for dipping, as the roast beef is simple to make.

How about least favorite:confused: My mother made us bologna sandwiches for school lunches all through grammar school. I haven't had a bologna sandwich since, my stomach turns at the thought.

I gave them up as a teenager, but I still like hot dogs which are the same thing.

Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
2. Layer correctly. The correct order from top to bottom is bread, spread, soft veggie, meat, cheese, crunchy veggie, other crunchy, spread, bread. Spreads (dressing, mayo, mustard, hummus, oil, butter, etc) keep the bread from getting soggy. You want the cheese and meat (if using) together so the cheese melts into the meat. Crunchy stuff on top just has a better mouthfeel. I use to work at a national sandwich chain and this order is based on numerous studies they did to figure out what people like best. YMMV.
I'm sure you're right, and this is probably very good advice, but (meaning no offense to you personally) I have to vote for this as the most anal-retentive comment of the year so far.

Not all - pure practical advice. We like to smear avocado on the bread for some sandwiches - that provides a nice barrier against any soggy stuff. In the Jacques and Julia cookbook, they put the lettuce down first and last on the bun for a hamburger. The lettuce provides that barrier.

Roast beef au jus for me. ...
Interesting juxtaposition of posts - the whole purpose of the au jus is to create a soggy bread! And that's great when you want it, terrible when you don't.

-ERD50

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Have you ever tried a Thanksgiving sandwich? Leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce between two slices of bread!

It is an after-Thanksgiving staple at our house. I can only eat half of one, though!

Around here, a Thanksgiving tradition is leftover turkey with homemade apple smoked bacon, blanketed with some swiss or cheddar on a sourdough roll washed down with the latest vintage of slightly chilled homemade Chardonnay.

Here it's triple decker turkey & bacon clubs.

+1 Love em! I actually look more forward to them than the actual sit down meal! :)
My only caveat is that the cranberry sauce has to be the jelly type from the can, not any type of "fresh" cranberries which I really don't like! :)
(I really am a peasant at heart!)

How about least favorite:confused: My mother made us bologna sandwiches for school lunches all through grammar school. I haven't had a bologna sandwich since, my stomach turns at the thought.
I still love proper bologna sandwiches, plus love em fried with cheese too! :)

I had the BELT(Bacon, egg, lettuce, tomato) with cheddar cheese and mayo today. Yummy egg over easy, drippy and delicious.

Besides that the company was great, a few guys I used to w*rk with. I hadn't seen one in three years, he's still going a thousand miles an hour. I remember that feeling and realize it's harmful.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463108498.429688.jpg

Oh yeah, if you're ever in Western NY a Beef-on-a-Wick is a must have.

I get the Beef on a Weck every time I go to see the Sabres. Good sandwich but I always have to scrape the rock salt off the Weck! Must be 5 days worth of sodium on there.

I had the BELT(Bacon, egg, lettuce, tomato) with cheddar cheese and mayo today. Yummy egg over easy, drippy and delicious.
Yum!! F and I shared half a muffuletta this afternoon and that was good too. :)

Besides that the company was great, a few guys I used to w*rk with. I hadn't seen one in three years, he's still going a thousand miles an hour. I remember that feeling and realize it's harmful.
Yes, it really is. I think some of us (including me) would have had a shorter lifespan had we not retired.

Ours is turkey , dressing and bread with mayo ! Cranberry sauce on the side .

Foot long Subway Club on wheat!

I have a couple of favorites:

- BLT - toasted sourdough bread (toasting the bread is mandatory for BLTs in my book.

- Pannino: whatever leftover meat we have in the house - chicken, beef, pork, whatever meat we had for dinner the night before, homemade tapenade, sliced tomato, basil leaves from the garden, mozzerella, parm, or swiss cheese.... grilled/pressed on our le creuset pannini pan.

- If going out - definitely the cod sandwich from Point Loma seafood. They make their own sourdough bread and tartar sauce... It's a high volume fish market so the fish is always super fresh.... YUM. Eat it outside overlooking the boats at the shelter island marina.

This pastrami from Katz's in NYC was $20, IIRC, and worth every cent (bowl of excellent pickles was complimentary).

IMG_20150425_144849176.jpg

W2R, love the po'boys in NOLA. Liked Domilises but I'm guessing there are better ones, what do you recommend?
As for muffellettas I don't think you can beat Butcher. Central Market was so-so IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_20150425_144849176.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 10
This pastrami from Katz's in NYC was $20, IIRC, and worth every cent (bowl of excellent pickles was complimentary).

W2R, love the po'boys in NOLA. Liked Domilises but I'm guessing there are better ones, what do you recommend?
As for muffellettas I don't think you can beat Butcher. Central Market was so-so IMHO.

We are not wild about Central Grocery muffulettas either. They are OK, but if we are right there and want a muffuletta without walking more than 50 feet, we go to Frank's Deli right next door.

My sincere, honest suggestion concerning po'boys? The most fun we ever have is going from restaurant to restaurant and doing our own comparison test. There are so many different varieties of "best", and unlike in most cities (IMO), in New Orleans good food is not hard to find. Every tourist seems to think that the first restaurant they hit is a terrific find. :) We think that the quality and freshness of the French bread is something to consider that many do not think of.

We are not wild about Central Grocery muffulettas either. They are OK, but if we are right there and want a muffuletta without walking more than 50 feet, we go to Frank's Deli right next door.

My sincere, honest suggestion concerning po'boys? The most fun we ever have is going from restaurant to restaurant and doing our own comparison test. There are so many different varieties of "best", and unlike in most cities (IMO), in New Orleans good food is not hard to find. Every tourist seems to think that the first restaurant they hit is a terrific find. :) We think that the quality and freshness of the French bread is something to consider that many do not think of.

Yes, the bread is key, and I don't think you can get the same thing elsewhere.
Do try the muffuletta at Cochon Butcher if you haven't; they smoke their own meats, and it is wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom