Favorite War Movies

So many of these older war movies are bringing back memories--I watched almost all the "oldies" and especially any John Wayne movie with my Dad growing up. When he was home, he was in charge of the tv, so you either watched what he did or nothing.
Looking back, it was actually a nice bonding moment, none of my siblings ever did.
Brings a smile to my face.

My favorite growing up was Battleground. Loved Van Johnson scrambling eggs in his helmet. I believe it was made in 1949, soon after the war.

The real ‘A Bridge Too Far” called “Theirs is the Glory”…

A unique movie where the actors are soldiers - portraying their own part in the battle. But I’m just a tad biased.

My uncle, one of the UKs first Para’s was captured at Arnhem, he also jumped into North Africa and Sicily prior to Op Market-Garden. I have jumped at the commemoration twice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theirs_Is_the_Glory

The movie (link below) - remastered HD is now free on YouTube…A little slow in the first few minutes but we’ll worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/fiFeYxlPYy4

The Longest Day, the theme tune was the Regimental March of the Canadian Airborne Regiment of which I am proud to have served in.

And 1917…. One of my grandfathers was a 17 year old Lewis Machine gunner at the Battle of Passchendaele in the 2nd Battalion, Devonshire Regiment (2nd Devons). Buried by an exploding shell that killed most of his section (squad) - saved by his Sergeant.

AIRBORNE.

Last edited:
For the classic WWII movie I like both:

The Longest Day
and
The Battle of Britain

For a bit different take I thought the series "Five Came Back" on Netflix was very interesting. It's the story of Hollywood directors volunteering for service and the way in which their experiences shaped their later work. Also included are the American propaganda movies they made at the time - shockingly racist to modern ears, but interesting in a historical context.

Now watching We Were Soldiers that was mentioned earlier and it reminded me of an excellent war movie, and the movie that brought Mel Gibson to the attention of the acting world. I think it is was of his best ever performances and won him the Australian Film Industry best actor award
I didn't realize it was that old... I've got it on DVD and I think I'll watch it again this weekend. Supposedly based on factual events from Col Hal Moore and combat correspondent Joe Galloway of the US first major engagement in Vietnam in 1965.

Taps. Timothy Hutton, Tom Cruize, Ronny Cox, etc
Last Survivor

Last edited:
I don't watch war movies - closest I can come is some military - Heartbreak Ridge.

Fail Safe
Dr. Strangelove
Monuments Men
Heaven knows Mr. Allison
Stalag 17
Casablanca
Imitation Game
Uncivil Warriors …Three Stooges ;-)

Last edited:
I grew up during the 65-70's Vietnam War and remember watching the Deer Hunter and thinking how real to life this movie was portrayed. It left an impression and memories of the greatest acting by a star studded cast.

I grew up during the 65-70's Vietnam War and remember watching the Deer Hunter and thinking how real to life this movie was portrayed. It left an impression and memories of the greatest acting by a star studded cast.

One of my favorites, too. I am way more interested in the effects on those connected with the fight than in the fight itself.

How about …
Operation Petticoat
No Time for Sergeants
Mr. Roberts

Honestly, maybe I live in La La Land,
but I like these better than the movies like When We Were Soldiers
Then, again, I am living my fathers world war, two years and not Vietnam years

I would agree, though that Schindler’s List was fine piece of art, and one of the best movies I’ve ever seen

Bat-21

It's an older movie staring Gene Hackman and Danny Glover and it during the Vietnam War. If you enjoy golf, I think you'll enjoy this movie!

I don't think I've seen listed "The Siege of Firebase Gloria" starring R. Lee Ermey. It's a very nuanced treatment of the war in Viet Nam. It's Ermey beyond Gunnery Sargent Hartman.

You can watch it free (with commercials) on TUBI.

This reminds me of sitting in the last row of the theater, for A Bridge Too Far, making out with my girlfriend. Oh to be young again...

So I'll post this, inspired by the "Sweet Corn" thread:

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...-you-eat-corn-on-the-cob-118920-new-post.html

"War Games" with Matthew Broderick....

I mentioned I saw that with DW when it came out in the theater, and despite a few goofy tech things, I recall it being a pretty good movie (but did not recall the buttering the corn scene). So we streamed it, and I still thought it was pretty good - funny, but with a serious message about the arms race. I just realized, some parallels with Dr Strangelove.

the sweet corn scene:

-ERD50

Another vote for:

Where Eagles Dare
Kelly's Heroes

I also like:

Green Berets
Battle of the Bulge
Audie Murphy Story - To Hell and Back
The Navaronne movies
Yep to all.
Saw Battle of the Bulge in Cinerama while on a High School trip to D.C. Unreal! I still remember the vision and sound of the Panzer tanks rolling over us.

Thanks to all for the great leads for upcoming down time veg sessions. More avocados and chips needed!

Would also recommend the WW2 Series from the German perspective:

For more recent fighting:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom