Fear of Hwy Driving?

Traffic Engr here and spent a few years doing collision investigations. What I taught my kids as they learned to drive applies to all of us to stay safe; manage the space around your vehicle, look beyond the car in front of you and be predictable. No quick lane or speed changes unless in an emergency to avoid a collision.

Only place that spooks me a little is the 110 freeway in Los Angeles from Pasadena to downtown LA. Very fast, narrow, and curves with limited sight distance. On the 110 you just have to go … fast … or get run over!!!

I just hate that 80 MPH seems to be the new 70 MPH. Since the Pandemic everyone seems to be in a super hurry to get somewhere.

Traffic Engr here and spent a few years doing collision investigations. What I taught my kids as they learned to drive applies to all of us to stay safe; manage the space around your vehicle, look beyond the car in front of you and be predictable. No quick lane or speed changes unless in an emergency to avoid a collision.

Only place that spooks me a little is the 110 freeway in Los Angeles from Pasadena to downtown LA. Very fast, narrow, and curves with limited sight distance. On the 110 you just have to go … fast … or get run over!!!

LOL. the 110 was not built to the same standards as most of the other LA Fwys. Very short on and off ramps too. But going fast applies to them all, if traffic volume allows. So glad I don't drive those anymore. The traffic is just a pita.

I'm fine with driving on the Hwy I just don't like merging. People tailgate so close that there may not be a big enough gap between cars to merge onto the Hwy. Very dangerous.

I'm fine with driving on the Hwy I just don't like merging. People tailgate so close that there may not be a big enough gap between cars to merge onto the Hwy. Very dangerous.

I am not responsible for small stones and things that may fly out and hit your windshield. :D

Perhaps take a driving course, practice some highway driving with an experienced driver, and practice on less "stressful" highways.

(I have done a lot of highway driving on LI, NYC into Westchester and Jersey. Barring the occasional lunatic behind the wheel, the majority of my fear/ dismay came from seeing the sea of red tail lights ahead and knowing I would be crawling along for hours.) When possible, I try to keep some distance between my vehicle and large trucks. To the extent possible I've tried to minimize driving on ice.

DH tends to do most of the cross-country driving although I might take the wheel from time to time. My only time I was uncomfortable (again barring the occasional lunatic) on one of those trips was in January 2022 - DIL was in labor, and we drove cross-country in a blizzard so that we could watch the DGC and DS could be there for the birth (and saw a large number of tractors trailers which had slip off the road).

I just hate that 80 MPH seems to be the new 70 MPH. Since the Pandemic everyone seems to be in a super hurry to get somewhere.
Most major highways in Texas have 75 or 80 as their max speed, but one has 85. Which means most folks are driving 90+.

Here's a bit of trivia. (EDIT)
Most (I think) but not all vehicles will not allow you to set your "cruise" control over 99 mph. Don't ask me how I know this, :)

Z

Z

Attachments

• 85mph.jpg
    85mph.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Most major highways in Texas have 75 or 80 as their max speed, but one has 85. Which means most folks are driving 90+.

Add that to the long list of reasons not to move to Texas.

^^^^^
Sounds reasonable to me.

9k=

Freeway driving in and around NYC is a bloodsport. On the merge issue, there is a certain game of chicken you have to play, which is - you see me coming, I'm gonna merge, you can either kill us both, or let me in.

[In this environ it is best to view your vehicle as somewhat disposable]

Dang spell checker doesn't catch "stupid". Cruise of course.... Or come to think of it, maybe it is curse since I do have special words I seem to use at higher speeds when things get in my way, or when I can't set the "cruise control" over 99...:)

Last edited:
The only time I can remember being intimidated/uncomfortable while driving was in the UK/London on those dang "roundabouts". Or maybe it was a combination of driving on the left side of the road and navigating a roundabout. Add to that I was driving a car with the drivers seat on the right side.:crazy:I guess if I drove there a lot I'd get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Freeway driving in and around NYC is a bloodsport. On the merge issue, there is a certain game of chicken you have to play, which is - you see me coming, I'm gonna merge, you can either kill us both, or let me in.

[In this environ it is best to view your vehicle as somewhat disposable]

It might work that way in the big city but around here it is very clear by law enforcement that the merge responsibility lies with the person merging. The person already on the Hwy does not have to move, you have to find a spot or stop and yield. If you force your way in then you get the ticket and the at-fault insurance issue. Not sure how a person is expected to both merge at Hwy speed AND stop before merging if there is no space to merge but that is what expected and that is what causes problems. If people would leave a couple car lengths between them and the car in front then merging would be easy but everyone is in too big of a hurry and can't give up those few feet. They have to be on your bumper at all times.

If people would leave a couple car lengths between them and the car in front then merging would be easy but everyone is in too big of a hurry and can't give up those few feet. They have to be on your bumper at all times.
You just defined driving in Houston. If you see a couple of car lengths gap between cars in Houston in heavy traffic, it's usually because they are talking on their cells phone or they are from out of town.

I guess Houston drivers just don't like to waste space since they will fill those gaps without any notice.

Last edited:
It might work that way in the big city but around here it is very clear by law enforcement that the merge responsibility lies with the person merging. The person already on the Hwy does not have to move, you have to find a spot or stop and yield. If you force your way in then you get the ticket and the at-fault insurance issue. Not sure how a person is expected to both merge at Hwy speed AND stop before merging if there is no space to merge but that is what expected and that is what causes problems. If people would leave a couple car lengths between them and the car in front then merging would be easy but everyone is in too big of a hurry and can't give up those few feet. They have to be on your bumper at all times.

Sorry, I didn't read much beyond "law enforcement". Not relevant to NYC. But, kidding aside, yes, I always have to remember to revise my driving habits outside the metro area when I drive to weekend house, as follows:

- Stop for pedestrians instead of speeding up
- Allow other cars to merge instead of speeding up to block them
- Allow a couple car lengths between car in front of you
- Don't tailgate
- Don't menace anyone
- Don't swear at anyone
- Don't honk at anyone
- Stay in own lane
- Observe most traffic regulations
- Chill out

I'm sure there's some stuff I'm missing, but this is what comes to mind.

One thing I've noticed, as a big city driver, is that as I have aged, I actually have really chilled out about driving. I don't swear as much, I don't take it personally the way I used to when someone cuts me off or practically runs me off the road. I just try to Zen-out, especially when surrounded by taxi's or Uber-types. I just let them swarm around me, maintain my heading, and try to anticipate anything crazy they might do. One of the benefits of aging I guess.

I claim the worst "Interstate" on-ramp in the USA (unless someone can claim a worse one.) It is the University Ave. merge onto H-1 eastbound in Honolulu (AKA Lunalilo Fwy.) In most cases of moderate traffic, one most stop at the merge point and then attempt to find a hole to enter. YMMV

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://i.redd.it/2az3jh8nnn041.jpg

I always claim that the Hawaii "Interstate" system is just like on the mainland - only smaller.:LOL:

I claim the worst "Interstate" on-ramp in the USA (unless someone can claim a worse one.) It is the University Ave. merge onto H-1 eastbound in Honolulu (AKA Lunalilo Fwy.) In most cases of moderate traffic, one most stop at the merge point and then attempt to find a hole to enter. YMMV

If traffic is driving anywhere near speed limit then it's nearly impossible to "find a hole" big enough to get up to full speed if you don't drive a sports car. I have a 4cyl SUV that takes almost 10 seconds to go 0-60.

I'm not saying everything is bigger in Texas, but the Katy Freeway (I-10 West) in Houston is pretty dang big. Up to 26 lanes if you count the frontage/feeders at it's widest points. If driving on this freeway during rush hour(s) doesn't put the fear of God in you, then nothing probably will. If you are driving on the inside lane and want to take an upcoming exit, you almost need to make a reservation.

I've actually seen this freeway stopped (dead slow) in both directions at times.

Katy-Freeway.jpg

Last edited:
I find that as I have gotten older, I dislike freeway driving more and more, and it’s making me rethink where I might want to relocate post retirement. It’s fine when there isn’t much traffic, but heavier traffic combined with some absolute nuts who drive extremely dangerously makes me not want to be on the roads as often.

I drive more defensively than ever. Before switching lanes, I look behind me twice because there are some people who go 90 mph and switch lanes and if you don’t take another look, you might miss them. I will let people in and won’t try more challenging changes or merges that I may have in the past. I’ll just wait til I can make my maneuver more safely.

I'm not saying everything is bigger in Texas, but the Katy Freeway (I-10 West) in Houston is pretty dang big. Up to 26 lanes if you count the frontage/feeders at it's widest points.

I thought I could deal with the worst of them having spent years in the Washington, D.C. area. But even they don't have anything close to that. Yikes!

Note to self: Do Not even think about moving to Houston.:hide:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://i.redd.it/2az3jh8nnn041.jpg

I always claim that the Hawaii "Interstate" system is just like on the mainland - only smaller.:LOL:

For challenging interchanges, I nominate the 60/91-215 in Riverside CA. Getting on to the 60 WB from the 91-215 NB or from the 60 EB to 91/215 NB through the 4-lane cloverleaf is brutal. Look at this marvel of traffic engineering:mad: If I had to drive every day, I'd be dead. Lucky to have survived my dozen+ encounters

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...06005!4d-117.3754942!16zL20vMHIzd20?entry=ttu

Who has it and how have you overcome it? Any advice welcome!

Just make sure you are not distracted by phone, or by a talkative seat passenger, and try to drive defensively, then you should be fine.

Last month, I drove the entire Italian Amafi coast highway 163 for the first time and this is not recommended for Americans at all, due to hundreds of very crazy Italian drivers and motorcycle maniacs who will overtake anyone head on in the narrow coastal roads. In addition, the road directions are in Italian, not English. Being patient and attentive allowed me to get use to it. If I survived driving in Italy, I'm sure you will survive it. Stay calm, don't get distracted, look on your left and right every few seconds. Good luck. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom