Fear or Love; What motovated you to RE?

What motivated you most to RE?

The motivator for me was financial security. Watched too many people get screwed by mega corp. Knew that would be me if I didn't cover my butt.

Then it happened .... had my ducks in line (via rental real estate) and the layoffs happened (I was 43). No looking back now !

Did lunch with my old group ... many looked like they aged 10 years in the last 6 months (they still don't have the ducks in line ... there are no ducks).

It was the lights.

At Mega-Corp they have these sickening fluorescent lites above the cubicle farm.  Lots of times on a Monday morning, when I was driving in, I noticed an ambulance up by the corporate medical office.  I didn't want the last thing I ever saw to be those overhead lights, as they rolled me out to the ambulance.

I saw the light.

I KNEW it was time to RE. The business climate was changing, I didnt enjoy work like I used to and the company needed to re-equip for the next five years. I said "no way". Five weeks would have been too much for me!

Now the trick becomes to have your significant others buy into your decision. I wasen't that hard.

So not really Fear or Love...but Common Sense.

Not FIREd yet, but my motivation is pretty simple. When I was about 25 I realized that working all day and coming home tired enough to eat something and flop down in front of the TV for a couple of hours before bed was not a life that I wanted. I also decided that having more time for what I want to do is a lot more attractive than spending money on consumer crap. So DW and I started saving money. Half a dozen years later, she is now firmly on board, especially since the choices we have made allowed her to quit and stay home with our daughter.

As I progressed in my career, I have also had to confront the ugly reality that my profession is dominated by jobs that extract 60 to 80 hours a week from employees. No way I can keep that up for long, so I have to plan for an early out.

I'm not retired yet but my life long dream has been to be debt free and then have enough money to live off the interest. I'm debt free and now working on the rest of the dream to become FI. My husband is 12 years older than me and will be 65 in two years, my plan is to retire then (if not sooner) and enjoy some time together before he can't do the things we've always wanted to. Life is too short as we all know.

My first ER was at age 50 after 24 glorious years of service slavery working under managers that were all about politics and very little about what was good for the company and the department. I was on the fast track for many of those years and had high hopes of being a top level director in the company.

This required 12-14 hour work days followed by another 3-4 hours a night reading or doing reports etc. That does not leave much time for family and other activities. Vacations were few and far between. Some years I took no vacation or only a few days. Needless to say this had a negative outcome on my personal life. We moved several times to some not so great places for varying periods of time.

The divorce was a wake up call for me; in many ways. Becoming a financial broke single parent with no assets and court mandated debts to repay provides one with only a few choices. I decided to no longer be a slave to the company and to get off the corperate ladder so I could dedicate my time to raising my son and getting my financial life in order.

The final straw in my first ER was management promoting for all the wrong reasons, goals that were counter to what was good for the company, upper management that could not be trusted, and the need to get out of a toxic environment before it killed me. My DW and I retired at the end of 2002.

I took a new job for benefits to carry us over for a year or two. They paid for our move and assisted with the sale and purchase of our houses, they moved our stuff and the paid me to work few hours with no "home work" and appreciated my experience and skills. We planned on me working a year or two at the most. However, things do not always go as planned. DW and I were looking forward to a long and happy retirement. She died suddenly after 7 months of retirement so I kept working to have something to keep me sane.

I remarried and my wife has 18 months to her pension and medical benefits. We are too close to not take those benefits. I continue to work because she still has to and because I still feel like I am valued where I am now. My manager knows I can leave anytime I want; on my own terms and risk losing nothing since there is no retirement program here. That knowledge keeps many things in perspective for both of us. He treats me less like an employee and more like a consultant because of it because finding someone in this area with 30+ years of experience in this field that will work for this company at this pay level would be very very hard to do.

We have 18 months before we will FIRE. My motivation this time is the same as last time. I love my wife and I want to spend as much time as I can with her, doing things together and just being able to share time and space with each other when we want to. So we continue to become less debt burdened while at the same time increasing our stash so we can fund the kind of retirement we want while we wait out the months to capture the benefits that will help us coast along very nicely into our living years while we leave our working years behind.

Days like today motivates me to ER. Auditors driving me crazy and working with software people at the same time to get w-2 data transmitted to the state and government.

Have I ever told you how much I hate this job? :p The older I get the harder it is to deal with the stress. Just a few more months to go.........

DOG51 said:
..Have I ever told you how much I hate this job? :p The older I get the harder it is to deal with the stress. Just a few more months to go.........

Hang it here man. It will all pass over soon enough. DW and I both have pretty high stress jobs and I am still teaching DW to deal with the stress while looking to the future. A little stress keeps the heart pumping.........too much will stop it. Life is about balance.

Think of the rewards that lie ahead of you and keep the faith. There is life after FIRE.

Today I love my job. I won a case. Na na na. Happy dance.

Tomorrow I'll go back to wanting to quit.

Both, but perhaps more correctly it is opportunity cost.

I'm not retired yet either, but....

Today was only a half day of w#^k, so I spent the afternoon putting a few miles on the running shoes and then playing with the kids (kicking a soccer ball around, teaching the 3 year old how to throw/catch, climb trees, etc).  There will be a time when our kids are still at home when I will be able to FIRE at some level of comfort (including any college expense we agree to).  Do I want to still need to work, or is there a chance that I want to exit the rat race and enjoy time with my family on my own terms?  To me it is fear of not being able to make that choice that drives me to LBYM and FIRE.

I distinctly remember when Dad retired while I was in high school.  He sold his small buisiness, and then had time to make it to all my sports events and my siblings stuff too.  Night and day from when he was involved in the business.  What if he never sold?  What would we have missed as a family?  As I reflect on those years I realize it has a direct impact/influence on my plans.

He (Dad) knows I plan to pull the plug and FIRE at some point, but warns me not to do it too early and give up peak earning years.  I think he thinks he went too early (late 40s) and it is impacting their current lifestyle.  I do note that he never went back to work though.  ;)

AV8

Second glass of wine warning!

After looking back at my working career I can not say I experienced some of the horror stories mentioned here. If I had I think it would have motivated me to move on, up or out.

Here is a short summary

15 - 19 - supermarket 30+ hrs per week - started at 1.25/hr. worked hard and had fun
19 - 40 a major TV network - worked on interesting news, entertainment, and sports shows (across the USA) 1 failed marriage in my 20's I regret. Lived in London & HK. Usually I didn't have a boss over me.

40 - Now another TV network - good money and easy work; little stress.

So I guess my RE goal is a romantic one; as I mentioned when I started this thread.

To those who hate there job and the long hours you may benefit from my experiences with senior management.

Communication is EVERYTHING. Hone your speaking, writing and interpersonal skills. You can be the most knowlegeable person in your field but it will be the person who can explain what you say and do who will be your boss.

Presentation is EVERYTHING. How you look and dress is important. Dress for your next level - see communication.

Who you know and who knows you is EVERYTHING - get out there and get to know and be known.

Getting as close to the revenue stream is EVERYTHING. Those people get paid more and so will you.

Don't take work too seriously.

When you get to a certain level you are telling people what to do and deciding among ideas others bring you.

As you can see I have not put very much emphasis on actual job knowlege - it isn't as important as you think.

I hope this helps.

We have not RE yet. Will RE in May after DW stops teaching. I am not sure you can really call it RE. I am 62 and DW 61, however, we are leaving on our own terms. We have been planning this for about 5 years. Five years ago we went looking for a lake lot. We knew we were a year or two ahead of the boomers and when the boomers hit 55 or so they are going to be looking for that place, and most are not going to be looking for 170 ft of downtown concrete. We were lucky and found 1.1 acres with 270 ft on the lake for $36,000. We spent the next five years designing the house. Finished the house last July.

While that was part of the picture it is not the whole picture. My brother died two years ago. He was one year older than me. Six years ago DW’s sister-in-law died of leukemia. We remember what her brother said, “Don’t put off doing the things you have always wanted to do, because you never know if you really have the time to do them”.

The third was money. On that point we had never really done the math. I had always thought the cash would be there, but never really ran the numbers. After reading tons of articles on the net I began to do the math. I created the MOAS (mother of all spreadsheets!). First a budget as to what we should expect to spend. Then escalate it till we are 99 at any inflation rate you want. Then what are the sources of income, and how will they inflate, then how will I withdraw the IRA’s. Still tweaking it, last thing was to add in a more realistic tax calculation. After about six months of ‘what-ifs’ I came to the really bad news. WE COULD HAVE RETIRED THREE YEARS AGO!

Case Closed, we will sell the current house and our new email address is outonthedeck.net!

I knew two people who essentially died on the job--the paramedics hauled them away from their cubicles and they died at the hospital shortly afterwards. Both of them had plans for "when they retired."

I actually like my job, but after 20+ years on the job I am just plain bored. I like my boss too, but when she is stressed, everyone is stressed. That's pretty much all of the time.

I feel bad because when my children were little, I worked full time. I can't undo that, but I can be there for my kids now that I work half time. We'll still have a kid at home when we retire. I look forward to all of us spending more time together (the kid will probably hate it, though.)

I don't want my husband to have a heart attack from stress. He hates his job. His boss is a jerk. He works with the public but agency politics make it difficult to really help people. He comes home frustrated and unhappy.

Enough already. Time to start living for ourselves for a change.

Thanks for asking Martha, wife is doing much better than she would have if she continued her shipping and receiving job. Still has bad days but not every day. :)

JenniFire said:
I knew two people who essentially died on the job--the paramedics hauled them away from their cubicles and they died at the hospital shortly afterwards. Both of them had plans for "when they retired."

Enough already. Time to start living for ourselves for a change.

I don't know whether a stressful job shortens one's life or not, but it is nice to get to do some of what you really like before you die, whenever that may be. Last Friday night a guy I know bought it on the dance floor. He was 54. He was apparently dead by the time he hit the floor. Some folks tried CPR but it didn't work. I wasn't there, but the reports are that he was smiling and enjoying himself and his date all evening. Not quite as good as doing a "Nelson Rockefeller", but not bad as deaths go.

I asked a woman friend what the gal who was dancing with him had to say. Basically, she was just glad that the guy wasn't married to someone else, and that they were not in bed. My friend also told me that whenever something like this happens the ladies worry for a while about their date dying when one of them is cheating.  Ah, the joys of middle age!

Ha

JenniFire said:

Yep, both guys on either side of my cubicle at "the farm". One had tried an ER but screwed it up. Bought a travel agency without a good plan. He was still paying some of the bills on that (like rent from a long term lease) for years after he threw in the towel and went back to work. Formally retired about 6 years later. Died of cancer less than a year after that.

Other guy was about 5 years younger than me, plenty of $, could have ER'ed. Went in for his first physical in ~ 5 years (too busy at work). Cancer was through his system, into his liver pretty good, and he was gone six months after that.

Morals of the story: Dont wait. If you do go, be smart about it. Get insurance and get yourself checked out. If your job keeps you so busy you cant even check on your health, think twice.

My doctor has a cartoon in his office that sums this up pretty well.

The cartoon shows a middle age overweight guy sitting in his shorts on the table and his doctor is talking to him. Doctor says...

"So which fits your work schedule better....exercising 30 minutes 4 times a week or being dead 24 hours a day?"

Works for me!

I'm leaving cause:

Work = Too many pieces of the lifes pie.
Work = Chained to 1 location
Work = Safe and secure

All of the above! Maybe a few more. Somebody asked me last week, "Where are you going to make more money for doing less?" I responded, that's one of the main reasons I'm leaving...in three days. It was never about the money; I want to do something fun.

"I don't want to be king. I want to sing; I want to dance."

I have read these boards long enough to know that I don't have my financial act together nearly as much as some of these dudes and dudettes; but I don't care. It will work.

setab

setab said:
"I don't want to be king. I want to sing; I want to dance."

I have read these boards long enough to know that I don't have my financial act together nearly as much as some of these dudes and dudettes; but I don't care. It will work.

setab

IMHO. as long as you have done any reasonable financial planning its right to just go for it. It will work. Or it may not work but probably would not have worked better for being delayed. Once a decision is made things tend to fall into place.

Somebody asked me last week, "Where are you going to make more money for doing less?"

Told a buddy of mine - "As long as you're working to support the economy, the economy is working to support me!".

I will RE at 51 in 2 months (count 'em!) because:

1.  The 2.5 hour (round trip) commute is really, really, really old.
2.  I used to absolutely love my job, but now I only like it.  And I can see things here getting worse before they get better.
3.  There are too many other things I want to do besides work, and I don't want to be an old lady before I have the time to do them.
4.  DH and I learned early to save a lot and live significantly below our means.

And the real reason to RE?  Because I can!!!

CJ

can i get some 40ies people to respone Fear or Love.

i agree with many folks here.

work= i got you for at least 40hrs/week
work= what have u done for me lately
work= vu graphs and meeting

re= i can do anything i want
re= haven't done much and who cares
re= meeting what:confused:

enuff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom