Fed report: simplify retirement savings incentives

We just got into the plan about a year ago.... since I picked the funds... well, all Spartan funds were picked that could be... so we have it. It was interesting to try and satisfy all investment styles... that got me to 70 funds and I could have picked more!!! We were able to pick funds outside of Fidelity, so I have a number of them also...

I have not yet had any requests to modify, but think it is the same plan so I can see it costing $1000....

I think I have finally sold our company president on the virtue of index funds (he and I and a couple others manage about a million bucks in our ESOP plan, virtually all index funds now, and he has seen they can perform very well vs. actively managed funds).

However they aren't willing to pony up $1000 just to give me access to the Spartan international fund! :D Everyone else doesn't care if they are paying 1% ER for the same asset class in an actively managed fund. What is interesting is that I have over 10% of the assets in the 401k, yet there are way more than 10 employees participating in it (maybe 50?). I don't get a 10% say in what fund choices are in the 401k.

It rotates the whole document, not the page. if you can read the page rotated, you can put it in the document rotated.

Those pdf documents are also printed. If those wide tables were not oriented that way.... the text would be so small no one could read it.

I briefly read through the section of the report covering these retirement issues. While I didn't find every recommendation to my personal benefit, most of the ideas make sense. For example, #1. There's little logic to the fact that my wife and I have IRA, inherited IRA, Roth IRA, 401(a), 401(b), and 457(b) accounts, all with slightly different rules for contributions, withdrawals and tax treatment.

I agree with you, our tax advantage retirement savings account systems are a fragmented mess.

It make senses to simplify it.

SOOOO, the answer to FD's question.... is 20 years.... and if we ask the same question 5 years from now it will be 25 years...

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.

We complained about our politicians in 1986, but they did get some stuff done. I'm thinking the current crop is worse.

Back
Top Bottom