feeling like a roth is a waste now

I found this statistic on the Motley Fool's website...

Just over 13,000,000 taxpayers contributed to IRAs in 2015, the most recent year for which complete data is available.

• 4,305,106 contributed to traditional IRAs (33%)
  • 1,093,512 contributed to SEP-IRAs (8%)
  • 1,865,777 contributed to SIMPLE IRAs (14%)
  • 6,363,335 contributed to Roth IRAs (49%)

IMO the Secure act has no effect on my retirement plans. the Secure Act does effect those that were counting on leaving or receiving LARGE non-spousal IRAs .

Now it probably will effect my brother and I when our parents die, however, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Who knows they may outlive me, I'm certain their money will outlast them. They were LBYM when it was called thrifty or cheap...

edit to clarify: Our current plan has some ROTH and when I FIRE we will increase our ROTH holdings in the hopes of not getting dinged by TAXES when we collect social security.

Last edited:
I'm coming up on my Roth conversion window and plan to stick with it.
+2. Mine is Dec but I don’t see any reason to change our plan. Might delay the start of RMDs thanks to the Secure Act, but 5 years to decide.

A Roth is worth it. It grows tax free.
Should Congress start working on a law to tax it, I'll withdraw it all taxfree.
They will have to backdate the law to catch me, and they will catch themselves too if they do that.
+1

There is gonna be a day when the Roth balance becomes part of your excisable inclusion amount. It will be on a future simplified cyber-only 1040 which is a Bitcoin transaction.

They have great tax benefits. The article below outlines the very commonly mentioned triple tax advantages. If it comes out of your paycheck then it is before they calc Fed Taxes. Point 1 below.

Beside the below this google search gets you to some key sites: https://www.google.com/search?q=hsa+benefits+triple

Via:
https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/personal-finance/what-is-an-hsa-health-savings-account/

HSA Benefits: The HSA Triple Tax Advantage
One of the first things to understand about what is an HSA is that they provide a triple tax advantage:

1. Contributions are tax-deductible, so they reduce your federal income taxes owed.
  2. Assets in your HSA account typically grow tax-free, at least at the federal level.
  3. Funds can be withdrawn without being taxed by Uncle Sam if you use them for qualified medical expenses.

Besides that an HSA doesn't require earned income. So I can take money from my taxable account, roll it into my HSA each year, get a tax credit (but since my LTCG are taxed at zero) so that tax credit goes towards my ROTH conversion allowing me to basically take taxable income and make it tax free AND convert the same amount to a ROTH tax free... its a complete double dip of the system.

As for the ROTH, the best thing going for it is the ability to make transactions along the way with zero tax impact. The ability to trade stock without though of taxes and ACA impact is huge. I really wish my Boeing stock had been in my ROTH and not my taxable as I would have sold it.

Most penalties (e.g. phase-outs, additional taxes like the AMT) are based on the income you report for that year.

Those of you in HCOL who must realize higher mAGIs to meet your normal expenses are already at a disadvantage, i.e. you probably don't qualify for ACA subsidies.

So if any future negative tax changes occur (Roth, HSA, etc.) it will be the above who are most likely to suffer them.

E.g. those with higher incomes may pay a modest tax (like the 3.8% Medicare upcharge) on withdrawals from their Roth or HSA.

Last edited:
I love Roth for no RMD and no tax liability. It is more of emotional benefit now that I have tIRA, Roth IRA, and Roth 401k and still 15+ years before planned retirement. I will be converting any none Roth retirement account to Roth during my low income years.

It makes things simple. A person with all his net worth tied up in taxed investment account has less comparing to the person who has all net worth in a Roth IRA with same balance.

Currently my tIRA's are scheduled for a tax hike on withdrawals in 2026, right? It's easy enough to raise those taxes.

My Roth has no scheduled tax increase so far.

I'm happy to continue Roth converting.

+1 have paid 8.5% federal income tax on average on tIRA withdrawals and Roth conversions the last 7 years and I expect to pay between 14-16% of amounts withdrawn between now and when I'm 90 by designing withdrawals to levelize income and taxes... a blend of 12% and 22%... perhaps 2-3 points more if taxes revert to 2017 rates in 2025.

A big savings compared to the 28%+ that I avoided paying when I deferred that income. An added bonus is that I avoided state income tax when I deferred that income and we'll change residence to FL in 2020 so I'll avoid paying state income taxes on withdrawals from 2020 onwards.

I kept a balance between ROTH, IRA and after tax investments when I was stashing for retirement and doing ROTH conversions. I avoided going too heavy with ROTH because I didn't trust Washington. Would be to easy to institute a national sales tax as a way to tax money that had been protected in a ROTH. They can hand wave how lowering income tax and adding a sales tax would balance out, accept it would not for a ROTH withdrawal.

I consider our ROTH as the source for money we will need if either or both have to go into long term care. That way we will not go into a higher tax bracket just to spend it on our care.

I don't like the change to 10 year withdrawal if we don't use it and my son then has to draw out money he doesn't need in addition to the RMDs for other funds he will inherit, assuming we don't spend it all.

401k to Roth IRA

Does it make sense to roll over some of my 401k to a Roth IRA yearly. If so what are the limits?

Does it make sense to roll over some of my 401k to a Roth IRA yearly. If so what are the limits?
There are no limits on conversion, but you probably don't want to convert at a higher tax rate than what you expect to pay in retirement.

I wish my retirement accounts were Roth instead of mostly pre-tax/traditional money.

I figure to lessen the brunt on my kids, I will leave them the Roth and then the traditional will be "inherited" by an accumulation trust with thee proceeds going to the kids/grandkids over a longer period of time and the trust will pay the taxes).

I wonder if a future Congress might start counting Roth withdrawals as "other income" for purposes of figuring the amount of Social Security that is taxable. Kind of a sneaky back door way of taxing them.

I wonder if a future Congress might start counting Roth withdrawals as "other income" for purposes of figuring the amount of Social Security that is taxable. Kind of a sneaky back door way of taxing them.

Pretty irrelevant for most of us since 85% of SS will be taxable based on income before any consideration of Roth withdrawals as income.

Well, I would be that if Roth withdrawals were used to determine how much of SS was taxable, all the accounts will be emptied the day before that would take effect.

Seems it would be difficult to change the rules on the Roth retroactively, given that we’ve already paid taxes on it. Still, our politicians are a sneaky bunch of bottom-feeders, so good to keep an eye on them in case you need to withdraw your Roth before they pull any tricks. They did just pull the rug on us regarding inherited IRAs

I found this statistic on the Motley Fool's website...

Just over 13,000,000 taxpayers contributed to IRAs in 2015, the most recent year for which complete data is available.

• 4,305,106 contributed to traditional IRAs (33%)
  • 1,093,512 contributed to SEP-IRAs (8%)
  • 1,865,777 contributed to SIMPLE IRAs (14%)
  • 6,363,335 contributed to Roth IRAs (49%)

I'm rather disappointed in those numbers, and it's probably worse, because people that contribute often use more than one of those at a time.
Mikek

I'm living on cash and doing partial Roth conversion to get my TIRA down to about 500K. 500K will grow slow enough to keep me in the 12% (or 15%) ordinary income bracket when added to SS for 15 years or more, and cap gains from my brokerage sales will be zero. So I'll live on SS, RMD, brokerage up to the top of zero cap gains and add a little dab of Roth money and my taxes will be based on SS + a small RMD ordinary income. The bulk of my wealth will be in Roth and brokerage, paid out tax free. My conversions are at a rate that converts enough to get me down to 500K TIRA, but optimizes IRMAA and taxes over the course of 5 (now 7) years.

I won't hit the Roth very hard and let it grow as end of life insurance, and later as inheritance if any is left. If I get a big medical bill or something I'll spend down the TIRA if the amount reaches the tax free threshold else I'll spend down the Roth as needed for something like 24/7 memory care or the occasional new car.

The chances of Alzin are 1/10 at 60 but 1/3 at 85 so that gives the Roth 25 years to compound relatively unmolested and free from SORR since I'm not withdrawing from it, as the risk of needing it continually increases in old age. I think the added hedge for end of life care is worth the Roth conversion hassle for the opportunity to compound an extra 25 years completely tax free. I've already converted 80% for this year and I'll convert the rest in Dec. If the market crashes I will still convert the same cash amount. In other words if my conversion is 100K/yr and my portfolio is 2M and the market falls in half I'll still convert 100K because the effect is I can transfer more property for the same tax dollar. 100k/2M = a 5% conversion at say an $8500 tax bill but if the market dumps in half my conversion will be 100K/1M or a 10% property transfer for the same $8500 tax bill. I'm also converting my riskiest assets first and leaving my less risky assets in the TIRA for later conversion, over the years of conversion. This way if the market does well (as it has done), the riskiest assets are already in the Roth compounding tax free and the less risky assets are compounding at a slower rate and thus generating a smaller overall tax load when they do get called up in the que for conversion.

One you make a plan, Roth conversion is a 10 minute per year proposition. Hardly constitutes any hassle. I've been pulling money out of the brokerage to turn into cash to live on, on a buy low sell high basis and I've been writing off those taxes using tax loss harvest from 2000 and 2008 crashes. I'm letting SS ride to age 70 to get the max compounding on that annuity till I pull the trigger. so during conversion I'm living off sales of brokerage stock + cash loss harvest (essentially using the brokerage as a Roth) and upon pulling the trigger on SS and RMD my income will be SS + a small RMD for a small tax bill, some brokerage at 0% cap gain to fill in the cracks and the Roth for pin money or a new car or a big wad in case of disaster.

Reactions: jj
^^^^ My plan is fairly similar. Once we have become FL residents and are no longer subject to state income taxes on Roth conversions I'll get real aggressive with Roth conversions for about 5 years..... to the top of the 22% tax bracket. Then once I start SS at 70, I'll back down to about 28% into the 22% tax bracket annually to try to drain my tIRA by the time I'm 90.... from age 72 on it will be a combination of RMDs and Roth conversions..... at age 90 I should be about 17% taxable accounts in equities that will get a stepped-up basis and 83% in tax-free Roths.

In the initial phase I'll be paying about 16-17% of the amount converted and in the second phase I'll be paying 12-15% of the RMD and amount converted. Given that the income was deferred at much higher marginal rates.... 28%+ later in my career... so I'm happy that I decided to defer. The cherry on top is that I avoided ~5% state income tax so the savings have been even better.... in total ~33% when deferred vs 12-17% when converted/withdrawn.

What could disrupt my plan is if investment results exceed my assumptions, but I can then make mid-course adjustments to still have the tIRA drained by the time I'm 90.

And as Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". :D

My conversions are at a rate that converts enough to get me down to 500K TIRA, but optimizes IRMAA and taxes over the course of 5 (now 7) years.

Thanks for providing your tIRA target value after conversion. This matches my back-of-the-napkin calculation and I'm glad to see another here coming to a similar conclusion.

Last edited:
Good plan. I decided to keep my least risky assets in the TIRA so it's mostly bonds with a small stock part, about a 15/85 ratio, with an expected return of 5%. This will grow slowly and essentially turns the TIRA into a quasi inflation adjusted annuity because of the progression of the RMD schedule. Because it's small and a slow grower it throws off very predictable money but it wont RMD me into 22% for a long time about 15-17 years. By then I'll likely be dead. In a down turn since it's mostly bonds the chances of loss are small. In a 15/85 if the 15 drops in half you still have a 7.5/85 still capable of providing the majority of the expected annuity income plus you can re-balance as necessary. After the initial SORR danger period the annuity becomes essentially bullet proof. I have multiple durations in the bonds. Smart move on deferring state taxes. I already live in FL so I tax arbitraged 30 years ago moving from IL, so I have 30 years of DCA tax arbitrage already compounded somewhere in that mix :) I do have a plan for the widow tax, by then the Roth should have grown substantially and should easily support the tax increase on my wife when I kick the bucket as well as whatever end of life care she requires.

The solution to the punch in the mouth is DUCK!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom