Ferrari Ownership Costs

Spacebär

Confused about dryer sheets
about $2.90 a mile once out of warranty (ymmv of course). The article also has this gem:

"Ferrari ownership is both a lifestyle and a socio-economic statement, just as owning a polo pony is a different venture than keeping a draught horse. As one former owner of S/N 111317 put it, 'I spend more than that on crap on eBay every year.'"

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/939

Spacebär said:
about $2.90 a mile once out of warranty (ymmv of course). The article also has this gem:

"Ferrari ownership is both a lifestyle and a socio-economic statement, just as owning a polo pony is a different venture than keeping a draught horse. As one former owner of S/N 111317 put it, 'I spend more than that on crap on eBay every year.'"

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/939

That car sounds like a lemon. How many times can your shocks go out? And the price of fixing the thing is mind numbing! I'd rather get a new Porshe and get hit by the giant depreciation than put up with this.

This article has some gems in it:

"The windshield washer reservoir was also replaced for $529.25"

How does a washer reservoir go bad? It's just a plastic bottle to hold the cleaning fluid...it has no moving parts! And how does a plastic bottle cost $529 to replace? Granted a large part of that is probably labor, but really...

"An annual oil and filter service and new rear tires added $2,386.60 to the expense column."

Never again will I gripe about paying $30 for an oil change at the dealership.

"The license plate frame was replaced for $124.99"

I'm speechless.

a polo pony is a different venture than keeping a draught horse
if i had to choose, i'd likely pick the latter. some years ago a friend had a Jag XKE ... claimed that to replace one of the dash/glovebox lights they'd need to pull the engine ... sounds about right.

Cut-Throat said:
I would not drive a Porsche, if someone gave me one! ::)

No problem CT, we can help you. Let us know what day they will bringing your gift Porsche. DW and I will fly up to Minneapolis and pick it up from you. We'll be delightened to pop for dinner at your favorite restaurant. Then we can drive the Porsche over to DW's brother's place near Minneapolis and show it off before driving it home.

Should work out great! :D

sounds ;like my ex-volvo

only thing not replaced in 8 years of ownership was the glove compartment door.

mathjak107 said:
only thing not replaced in 8 years of ownership was the glove compartment door.

It's a shame you sold it... our volvo needs a new glove compartment door.

I bought my property from a man who liked to mess with old sports cars. Told me he sold his mid-1960's jaguar when he realized it would cost $12000 to rebuild the engine (my 6 cyl. truck engine cost me about $1000 installed).

Last night on the travel channel, they visited an Italian sportscar manufacturer. Not Ferrari, but another place right down the road. Their main selling point was that the car was the most expensive car available, or something along those lines.

They interviewed the sales-woman and asked why the car was so expensive. She said something about premium materials, exclusivity, etc..

I said to my wife, "She could have said that the price is high because they have the highest profit margins in the industry... and people would see that as a PLUS!"

Cut-Throat said:
I'm glad I have no desire to own a Ferrari! - Also a Porsche! - A friend of mine has a Porsche. I ride in it, it's noisy, uncomfortable and cramped. I drive a Lexus. It's quiet, roomy and comfortable with a great stereo and it's the most reliable machine on the road.

I asked my friend why he likes the Porsche, and he showed me that he could turn a corner at 60 MPH. I don't turn corners at 60 mph or do I ever want to. He stores his Porsche in the winter. I drive my Lexus. I would not drive a Porsche, if someone gave me one! ::)

Different strokes for different folks. For some people the car is just comfortable transportation. For people like that the lexus is perfect. It's quiet, unemotional, and just plain works. For me, a car is something much more than a way to get around.

I can't stand big roomy cars, and love sports cars. To own a Ferrari is close to the ultimate for many car lovers. It's something that shouldn't (and for the most part isn't) measured in dollars and cents.

BTW: That isn't "noise" from the Porsche, it's the beautiful note from a flat 6. Although nice, it can't come close the the sound of a Ferrari V-12 (and their new V8s) which to me is the most beautiful music in the world.

I asked my friend why he likes the Porsche, and he showed me that he could turn a corner at 60 MPH. I don't turn corners at 60 mph or do I ever want to. He stores his Porsche in the winter. I drive my Lexus. I would not drive a Porsche, if someone gave me one!

When driving a Porsche isn't fun anymore, well that's when you just turned really old. :'(

I wouldn't have a Porsche either, but I do enjoy my 85' Vette. I do enjoy zipping around in it on the weekends. The car isn't comfortable at all but boy can it handle well. And fast - did I mention that it is fast ?

On the weekdays I drive my very comfortable Mercury. It's a great freeway cruiser. It doesn't handle well or isn't fast but boy is it comfortable.

After driving either car for a few days I always enjoy switching cars...comfort...fast...comfort...fast...comfort...

Well the wife has a Porsche Boxster as her daily driver and just loves it. I also have a 73 911 that I take to the golf club from time to time. They just make me smile when I drive them.

But we also have a loaded out Avalanche when we need to haul more people or things.

As you say, to each his own.

I know someone who retired early in his 40's on a relatively low budget, and bought a used ferrari to tinker with. Because he does most of the work himself and bought it long after the new car depreciation had worn off, it's not as serious cash drain as the article makes it out to be. And there is something ridiculously fun about riding in a vehicle so impractical! But for me, I'd rather put the money towards travel.

Am I the only one who desires a 1963 4 door Ford Falcon with a small 6 cylinder engine and a three on the tree as their fun car?

rmark said:
Am I the only one who desires a 1963 4 door Ford Falcon with a small 6 cylinder engine and a three on the tree as their fun car?

You could be! - First one I've heard of. :)

Had one of the oil change shop managers tell me that one of his employees got into an old car and didn't know how a column shift worked. Apparently its now an anti-theft feature.

rmark said:

Had a black 65 when I was in high school - it was a blast and a good car for a beginning driver - we nicknamed it the batmobile. Mine had the straight 6, but a friend had a ugly pale green 64 with a v-8 that was pure rocket sled. DW learned to drive on an old comet (similar car by Mercury) that had already gone through parents and then four brothers/sisters before it got to her. It was nicknamed the vomit comet - I've always been afraid to ask how it got that name.

I wish they still made them. Not for me of course, but for my kids. Easy to drive, easy to take care of, and a very good choice for a beginner learning how to drive and take care of cars.

I have a client that has an old "Magnum PI Ferrari", same year and model. He loves the car, but admits it costs a lot to keep tuned up and such.

His mantra? If you're complaining about the upkeep, you really can't afford one"!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

From the Ferrari's service records it looks like the real estate investor was riding his 4 wheeled polo pony pretty hard and putting it the stable wet. He got his third set of rear tires at 20000 miles, sounds like a lot of wheel spinning starts and bone jarring stops to me.

Road rash repairs.....hummmm. Maybe from high speed trips to the ranch down back country gravel roads.

From the price he was paying for an oil change and two new rear tires (~$2500) I think the boys at the dealership were all planning on ER, real early retirement.

If you play hard with expensive toys, you're going to pay big time.

Cut-Throat said:
Fast is fine! - My new Lexus will do under 14 secs in the 1/4 Mile.

Turning a corner at 60 mph was not something I ever wanted to do. To each his own.

Can't say I've ever been able to get excited about flyfishing myself but I can certainly see why others might enjoy it. I also admit to being pretty bored on public roads with a so called prestige sports car. But put me out on a challenging autocross course with a decent set of coilovers, big R-compound tires, and a 4-point harness; well then it's a different story. 50-80 seconds of adrenaline pumping humiliation and fun all rolled into one. Like golf and fishing you can enjoy the moment as well as the challenge of improving your skills. :D

;)

Attachments

• bmw.jpg
    bmw.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 31
  • bmw.jpg_thumb
    27.5 KB · Views: 2
TargaDave said:
I also admit to being pretty bored on public roads with a so called prestige sports car. But put me out on a challenging autocross course with a decent set of coilovers, big R-compound tires, and a 4-point harness; well then it's a different story.
Exactly. If you're gonna own an expensive high-powered high-maintenance vehicle then you have to use it for its intended purpose. Otherwise it's like buying a Kentucky Derby winner for a trail ride.

Outtahere said:
OK, I was thinking about racing, but I suppose that's a worthy pursuit too!

My daily transportation is pretty mundane. Still, I've never been able to shrug the desire to go fast, in something that invigorates the senses. But...a car isn't the only way to feed the monster inside... :D

For thrills...get into karting. More fun than just about anything with your clothes on. It's relatively cheap, safe, and much more fun than driving a sports car on public roads, surrounded by cops, nuts, and Sunday drivers.

Here are some recent pics of my brother-in-law and his son in Medford, OR - but the site/sounds are the same all over the country.

Woo hoo!

thats how i feel, im in the last down for hi end cars before i retire and got my first bmw a few months ago. i have had muscle cars as a kid but nothing feels as good as the overall performance i get from the bimmer.

Back
Top Bottom