Fidelity calls

I talk with my Fido guy twice a year when he calls just to see if I need anything. Our conversation usually side tracks to golf talk. Nice guy and never tries to sell or push any products. Our last conversation did cover what the mechanics are in order to transfer my FIDO IRA to DW in the event of my demise. Nice to have a familiar voice and name to contact, just in case.

I called the Fidelity 401k help number yesterday to discuss some plan features. After a brief conversation about my issue, the rep asked me if I would be willing to allow him to review my plan. I took the bait. Afterwards, I reluctantly agreed to a set phone meeting with a 'senior vp' planner. The confirmation email allowed me to reschedule or cancel the appointment. I cancelled. Today, I not only receive a phone voice message from the 'senior vp,' but also a text. Do they really care that much? I know my plan and numbers inside and out. What is their ultimate goal?

The ultimate goal is to put some of your assets under their management for a fee. Thankfully, they are not very aggressive about this.

I had the same misgivings as you do, at first. Eventually, I agreed to a face-to-face meeting at the local Fidelity branch. In the one hour meeting the rep went over my holdings and my path to retirement. Do I have enough money and am I on the right investment path to retire comfortably?

Like you, I was confident of my planning but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have another set of eyes take a look at it. The rep asked a bunch of questions and entered the data into their retirement planning software. (I later found out I could do this myself on the Fidelity website.) When done, I was shown three different end results, depending on my asset allocations. All three had me comfortably retiring with plenty of assets to pass to my heirs.

This was useful because now I could show my DW that indeed, we were going to be just fine in retirement. This alone was worth it to me. Sounds like it could be beneficial to you as well.

There was a follow up call from the rep in 6 months, which was a short conversation mostly about my status and if I had any questions. Six months later, or a year since my initial meeting I had another meeting (mid 2022, inflation was raging.) The rep showed me some areas where I could diversify my portfolio a bit and blunt the losses I was seeing. I took the advice and it worked out for me. (I put some money in consumer defensive stocks and utilities.)

It wasn't until my third meeting that the idea of having Fidelity manage a portion of my portfolio was broached. I politely declined, saying I was a "do it myself investor", but agreed to see the proposal. A follow up call a couple weeks later and I told the rep I was OK doing it myself. The subject hasn't come up again in two subsequent phone calls.

The Fidelity rep is Justin Parisi out of the Columbus office. Anyone had the pleasure? His contact info is on Fidelity , Linkedin, and the general internet so I don't think I'm breaking any rules by posting his name here.

Well, this is refreshing. Usually we beat up on Vanguard.:LOL:

I’ve had the same Fidelity Advisor for over 10 years. He has let me know about available services but has never hard sold anything.
It’s been great to have someone to bounce ideas off from. He seems quite knowledgeable and it’s helpful to have someone to call when I have a problem figuring out something on the website.
I actually look forward to our yearly calls.

I've been with Fidelity since the late 80's. I reached a dollar threshold in the mid 2000's where I was assigned a rep as I'm "private client". Not once have I ever taken their call or returned an email when they've reached out to me which is, like clockwork, once a year. Though sometimes they notice that I run their retirement tool and save the results. More than happy with what I'm doing and don't really see any value that could be added at this point.

That said, I'm going to have no choice but to reach out to Fidelity's 401K team this summer when I roll the 401K over from my last employer over to my Fidelity IRA, because most of my holdings are in brokeragelink.

Fidelity probably doesn't like me all that much - the only holdings I have that are Fidelity's are money market settlement accounts. Everything else is an ETF from somebody else...

All that said, there have been times when I've needed customer service. In those cases, I've gone to the local office and they helped me quickly and pushed nothing on me.

Cheers.

Somehow I have been shifted out of Fido Private Client Group. I'm now with the "Active Trader Services Team. This is insane. The only active "trading" I have done is buying T bills and CD's and reinvesting the proceeds. The mutual funds automatically reinvest dividends. There are some individual stocks from a previously managed portfolio that I haven't sold, but the manager was not with Fidelity. Suggestions on changing this (or not) welcome.

We're at 3.5m with them, but only 1.3m taxable and ira. At one time I was a private client then one day it was gone. Who knows?

Same here. They probably have some fancy algorithm to analyze everyone's account and figure out what group to put you in to maximize their fees/profit. :LOL:

Somehow I have been shifted out of Fido Private Client Group. I'm now with the "Active Trader Services Team. This is insane. The only active "trading" I have done is buying T bills and CD's and reinvesting the proceeds. The mutual funds automatically reinvest dividends. There are some individual stocks from a previously managed portfolio that I haven't sold, but the manager was not with Fidelity. Suggestions on changing this (or not) welcome.

I've had the same thing happen, I believe due to weekly T-Bill purchases (and some trading but not a lot).

What is it about "Active Trader Services Team" vs. "Private Client Group" that bothers you? (I'm trying to figure out if I should be bothered too!)

Same here. They probably have some fancy algorithm to analyze everyone's account and figure out what group to put you in to maximize their fees/profit. :LOL:

A long time ago I called to complain about not getting invites to IPO's, even though I had a 7 figure 401K (Net Benefits) there plus a regular trading account.

I was told that assets in employer sponsored plans were not included in their determination for IPO's (as well as other things). So I would guess that this is the cause.

This all changed magically when I (eventually) converted the 401K to a IRA (at Fidelity).

We have a small amount with Fido and 90% at TRPrice where I have 'a guy'. He mostly fixes things when I get all messed up trying to do something online.

We do chat once or twice a year, he knows my investing mentality and what I'm doing. Never any push or even suggestions unless I ask for his input. I've never had any problems with being pressured in any way. He's useful and helpful.

But I'll tell you what I don't like about Fidelity. A few years ago I was my uncle's executor. I went to the Fidelity office and they have a counter with two or three advisors like at a bank. So here I am talking to this rep about a $4MM account, talking real numbers about moving money around etc. Next to me is some guy opening up an account with $600. He stops and is listening in to the whole conversation. At the very least the rep should've taken me to a private room.

Just didn't sit with me.

Last edited:
What I don't like about Fidelity is they do not give customers the ability to get a machine readable statement without trusting a third party. Yes, they offer a machine printable statement. That won't load into an independent tool for reconciliation. For years they had an incomplete CSV file, and they removed access to that (not that it was worth anything anyway). The API doesn't have the data (date is ignored, and replaced with 'today'). I'd wager pretty much nobody audits their statement completely if they have a significant number of transactions and the only option is manual data entry. I'll shut up now. Until the next time we're complaining about Fidelity.

But I'll tell you what I don't like about Fidelity. A few years ago I was my uncle's executor. I went to the Fidelity office and they have a counter with two or three advisors like at a bank. So here I am talking to this rep about a $4MM account, talking real numbers about moving money around etc. Next to me is some guy opening up an account with $600. He stops and is listening in to the whole conversation. At the very least the rep should've taken me to a private room.

Just didn't sit with me.

I do envy you having an office to visit. Vanguard does not. I'm more of an in-person type guy. I hate doing things on line and find myself using the phone more than I'm sure Vanguard likes. Heh, heh, as my mom would have said when the guy was listening into your conversationL "Count your blessings." :cool:

Just didn't sit with me.

I think you could have asked if there was a room where you and he could continue the discussion. No reason not to make the suggestion yourself.

Fidelity rep - works good for me - and Full View on website

I typically do not post, just a reader in the background.
I have all of my retirement accounts (mine, wife and parents) with Fidelity.
I am self directed and do have an assigned account rep at the local office to me here in Massachusetts.
I meet with this person annually to talk about new things that Fido has that could be of interest to me.
I am not bugged by this person. I find this is a good working relationship for me.
What I do tell my account rep is two items that Fido has that keeps me as a customer.
1) Local office to my location in Massachusetts and local office to my parents in FL.
2) MOST important is "Full View" feature on the website. I make extensive usage of Full View to keep track of my accounts at Fido, banks, credit unions and my parents accounts.
If Full View were to disappear - I would have to find another brokerage firm that had this feature to work with.

Full View - if you use this you will notice that Fido is working on a major UI (user interface) change. I sampled this a couple weeks ago and it is absolutely horrible.
The new UI is being "dumbed down". I sent feedback on that page to Fido and the next week was my annual review with account rep -
I told him about this and basically said removing features in Full View will cause me to leave.
I got a message back from him that my feedback comments were being looked at and to say thank you for providing them.
Time will tell what they move to. (FYI - before retirement I was a UI designer in the CPQ space)
So a heads up to all of you that use "Full View" - try the new UI version - if you do not like it - please send feedback via the feedback method on that page.
You should be able to switch back to the traditional UI design. In my case - I have a message that "we have switched you to the traditional UI based on your feedback".

And I want to say thank you to all who post useful and informative replies - as over the years I have learned a lot.

So essentially all of those calls in the last few months are about their bottom line and not mine. I sort of assumed that, but I guess I wanted to believe Fidelity is truly interested in their client's success as opposed to milking assets for fees.

Not my experience, but YMMV. Last year, I contacted a Reno Rep about moving DW's smaller Vanguard account to her larger Fidelity IRA. Had an appointment with the second guy in the Reno office, where he told me rather than waiting, they had new software and an agreement to move investments same day from Vanguard (or vice versa). It took about 30 minutes. He refreshed our retirement plan, pitched a version of a fixed return fund (a hybrid derivative stock and bond fund with a guaranteed interest; I said I would look into it since we had a lot of cash but I was skeptical) and then we said goodbye.

Like another poster, when I get older or ill, I may look at their directed accounts since DW has no interest in managing the portfolio. I think there is value there, not so much for almost anyone on this site, which is a small percentage of mostly self-directed investors, but for most of the rest. I did convince my sister-in-law to self-direct using % allocations and rebalancing--she had 4 different accounts and two pensions coming after she took early retirement due to workplace issues at her utility. But she is an engineer and semi-interested. She had been so busy working and with family that she kind of left them on her own, but after retirement had the time to work on combining them and re-allocating.

I am self directed and do have an assigned account rep at the local office to me here in Massachusetts.
I meet with this person annually to talk about new things that Fido has that could be of interest to me.
I am not bugged by this person. I find this is a good working relationship for me.
What I do tell my account rep is two items that Fido has that keeps me as a customer.
1) Local office to my location in Massachusetts and local office to my parents in FL.
2) MOST important is "Full View" feature on the website. I make extensive usage of Full View to keep track of my accounts at Fido, banks, credit unions and my parents accounts.
If Full View were to disappear - I would have to find another brokerage firm that had this feature to work with.

Full View - if you use this you will notice that Fido is working on a major UI (user interface) change. I sampled this a couple weeks ago and it is absolutely horrible.
The new UI is being "dumbed down". I sent feedback on that page to Fido and the next week was my annual review with account rep -
I told him about this and basically said removing features in Full View will cause me to leave.
I got a message back from him that my feedback comments were being looked at and to say thank you for providing them.
Time will tell what they move to. (FYI - before retirement I was a UI designer in the CPQ space)
So a heads up to all of you that use "Full View" - try the new UI version - if you do not like it - please send feedback via the feedback method on that page.
You should be able to switch back to the traditional UI design. In my case - I have a message that "we have switched you to the traditional UI based on your feedback".

And I want to say thank you to all who post useful and informative replies - as over the years I have learned a lot.

Thanks for posting!

I think Fidelity took down the "new" Full View after getting tons of complaints. They're supposedly trying to revamp the "new" version based on complaints from customers. We use Full View and the related Retirement Planner extensively and would hate to see Fidelity dumb them down too much.

We have a FIDO planner, but I'm a DIYer also. I told him when we first signed up that "what I really want you for is to keep me from making any major mistakes, so I will run any big changes past you before I make them". We meet in person once a year, and I email him with a question about 1-2x a year...he never pushes for managing our assets.

He has made a few minor suggestions that I have followed, so I appreciate that.

Thanks for posting!

I think Fidelity took down the "new" Full View after getting tons of complaints. They're supposedly trying to revamp the "new" version based on complaints from customers. We use Full View and the related Retirement Planner extensively and would hate to see Fidelity dumb them down too much.

It’s weird because I recall long rollouts for new versions of the website and mobile app. The app has been running beta and classic versions side by side for months. I stumbled onto the Fidelity forum on Reddit and Full View is #1 complaint there. It is moderated by Fidelity so many posters use it for customer service. Many folks have migrated from R’hood or similar and brought their expectations to Fido.

It’s weird because I recall long rollouts for new versions of the website and mobile app. The app has been running beta and classic versions side by side for months. I stumbled onto the Fidelity forum on Reddit and Full View is #1 complaint there. It is moderated by Fidelity so many posters use it for customer service. Many folks have migrated from R’hood or similar and brought their expectations to Fido.

I've been reading that Reddit for a few months. Lots of complaints about everything of which most I don't understand. Not too many long-term index investors on that site. A lot of complaining about why their $100 exotic trade didn't do what they thought it would.

Thanks for posting for the first time. I think you would fit right in with our eclectic group of folks. If you are so inclined, consider introducing yourself in the "Hi, I Am..." Forum.

Welcome!:flowers:

We met with our Fidelity rep yesterday to discuss portfolio optimization. One idea he had that I did not quite understand was a proposal to defer income on our taxable balance to create space for pretax withdrawals or conversions. I understand that MYGAs accomplish this short term, but are there other products that allow for income deferral while giving you access to the balance to use for everyday spending long term? Our plan uses taxable dollars to fund the budget since our chosen ACA plan only allows for 36k MAGI to get the best value. We live on greater than 36k so any attempt to lock up taxable principle would essentially rob us of the liquidity needed to support our spending d/t the ACA since every 401k withdrawal counts as MAGI.

More specifically, we have 675k earning 5% taxable. We use the interest plus principle to give us our annual spending dollars (64k last year). Since we have to meet a minimum threshold to stay off medicaid, I will use a 401k withdrawal to make up the last few thousand up to 36k. I've calculated the premiums if we wanted to really go hard on conversions, but the ACA increases are very steep and are essentially an added tax. Even at MAGI 80k the fed,state, and extra ACA premiums would have us paying 25%ish on conversions.

As it stands, we are planning on using the taxable and my 401k to achieve targeted income levels until we are both on medicare and/or the ACA goes away. At ages 57/54, I've mapped out a path to medicare that pretty much exhausts all taxable dollars while filling in the ACA required income levels with 401k withdrawals and taxable interest. After medicare starts for both, we will use 401k dollars until SS and then 401k+SS. If the taxable dollars run out before medicare and if the ACA still exists, we can tap our Roths to fund expenses over the ACA income threshold.

In summary, how would it be possible to defer taxable interest to create that 401k use/conversion space without taking away the ability to manipulate our income while still having money to satisfy our budget that does not count towards MAGI? The only way I can see this happening is by using Roth dollars first instead of taxable. This idea seems silly since the Roth's are the preferred way to hold investments long term.

What say you?

PS. I will be OOT for a fews days so please don't think that posted and bolted.

We met with our Fidelity rep yesterday to discuss portfolio optimization. One idea he had that I did not quite understand was a proposal to defer income on our taxable balance to create space for pretax withdrawals or conversions. I understand that MYGAs accomplish this short term, but are there other products that allow for income deferral while giving you access to the balance to use for everyday spending long term? Our plan uses taxable dollars to fund the budget since our chosen ACA plan only allows for 36k MAGI to get the best value. We live on greater than 36k so any attempt to lock up taxable principle would essentially rob us of the liquidity needed to support our spending d/t the ACA since every 401k withdrawal counts as MAGI.

More specifically, we have 675k earning 5% taxable. We use the interest plus principle to give us our annual spending dollars (64k last year). Since we have to meet a minimum threshold to stay off medicaid, I will use a 401k withdrawal to make up the last few thousand up to 36k. I've calculated the premiums if we wanted to really go hard on conversions, but the ACA increases are very steep and are essentially an added tax. Even at MAGI 80k the fed,state, and extra ACA premiums would have us paying 25%ish on conversions.

As it stands, we are planning on using the taxable and my 401k to achieve targeted income levels until we are both on medicare and/or the ACA goes away. At ages 57/54, I've mapped out a path to medicare that pretty much exhausts all taxable dollars while filling in the ACA required income levels with 401k withdrawals and taxable interest. After medicare starts for both, we will use 401k dollars until SS and then 401k+SS. If the taxable dollars run out before medicare and if the ACA still exists, we can tap our Roths to fund expenses over the ACA income threshold.

In summary, how would it be possible to defer taxable interest to create that 401k use/conversion space without taking away the ability to manipulate our income while still having money to satisfy our budget that does not count towards MAGI? The only way I can see this happening is by using Roth dollars first instead of taxable. This idea seems silly since the Roth's are the preferred way to hold investments long term.

What say you?

PS. I will be OOT for a fews days so please don't think that posted and bolted.

We were somewhat in this situation and I chose to maximize the ACA subsidies to the tune of 20k+ yearly which included my brother.
My DGF has been doing some minor Roth conversions too.

Same, staying under ACA thresholds as long as possible. I like the idea of doing some Roth conversions but the increased "tax" of losing some/all of the PTC is quite steep. If/when I lose out on PTC (either due to a change in ACA or something on my end on the income side) I'll look into some conversions. For now, I look ahead but am steering on a bit more shorter timeframe. I have a couple more years of taxable only spending so nothing too urgent now.

Back
Top Bottom