File for extension fed taxes

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am using TurboTax and need to file an extension as I wait for my last K-1..

But it looks like TurboTax wants me to print out the form and mail it in!!! Really? No option to electronically file?

Help...

That is correct.

If you haven't printed/mailed yet, if you will owe some taxes, drive over to the post office tomorrow and put it in a collection bin inside to be sure it gets a postmark of April 18.

If you won't owe anything or are getting a refund, don't sweat it - you really don't even have to file for an extension.

This afternoon, I drove over to the post office to mail an extension for my business. Funniest thing I've seen - the customer counter was closed...because their internet was down! Had a sign posted - sorry, not our fault, nothing we can do about it. While I was dropping my letter off, another employee was explaining to the 5 folks sitting in the lobby for their passport appointments that they have to cancel and reschedule - can't do it without internet apparently. That was surprising - I figured they just need to review the application/photo/documents and could do data entry, if necessary, at a later time. Internet is now an integral part of life.

Last edited:
I'm glad I didn't wait for DW's official K1. We used the draft K1 they sent her since her retirement income is fixed so nothing should change. I can't think of a good reason for TT to put people thru such a hoop.

That is correct.

If you haven't printed/mailed yet, if you will owe some taxes, drive over to the post office tomorrow and put it in a collection bin inside to be sure it gets a postmark of April 18.

If you won't owe anything or are getting a refund, don't sweat it - you really don't even have to file for an extension.

This afternoon, I drove over to the post office to mail an extension for my business. Funniest thing I've seen - the customer counter was closed...because their internet was down! Had a sign posted - sorry, not our fault, nothing we can do about it. While I was dropping my letter off, another employee was explaining to the 5 folks sitting in the lobby for their passport appointments that they have to cancel and reschedule - can't do it without internet apparently. That was surprising - I figured they just need to review the application/photo/documents and could do data entry, if necessary, at a later time. Internet is now an integral part of life.

I filed a few times. And I saw the fine for filing extension. so if no file extension, they are supposed to fine it. last year, I think I owed, but filed extension. so no fine for extension part, but had to pay more. This year, I filed it again and I didnt owe anything in my belief. So not sure if ok if not owe anything, delete the filing extension part.

Mailed my paper extension today... thanks to all for the info..

Company said they are having problems... they sold vacant land and also a building so have a lot of cap gain.. actually the gain was basically the only profit as far as I can tell..

I think it is an excuse as I go the K-1s out in mid March when I was there.. but no preliminary K-1 to even make an estimate...

OK... finished my return and filed electronically...

REJECTED!!

I had the wrong AGI from last year... checked it and it was right so tried again hoping it was a fluke...

REJECTED!!

SOOO, had to print it out and snail mail it... How can my tax return be 36 pages:confused:

Interesting. OP demands paper statements from VG, but complains about having to mail in their tax return.

^

I can appreciate OP's stance on this.

With IRS E-Filing you receive proof of filing with a time-stamped IRS issued submission ID number.

With paper statements from Vanguard you receive proof of account status without having to take any additional action.

-gauss

OK... finished my return and filed electronically...

REJECTED!!

I had the wrong AGI from last year... checked it and it was right so tried again hoping it was a fluke...

REJECTED!!

SOOO, had to print it out and snail mail it... How can my tax return be 36 pages:confused:

Our return for 2022 was 61 pages which is pretty typical for us. Thank goodness for e-filing although a few years ago TT could not get the AMT version of form 1116 (foreign tax credits) working and stated that I had to file by paper. What a pain that is, filing paper returns from overseas.

Interesting. OP demands paper statements from VG, but complains about having to mail in their tax return.

I only need an annual stmt from any broker but none have that option...

And it is not for me, but for DW or whomever takes over after I pass...

Oh, also want paper tax stmts to put in my file... I was a tax accountant in my youth...

Back
Top Bottom