Financial Software for Mac - Options

SALTedOut

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been using iBank for the past 8+ years and have been happy with it. iBank is now Banktivity.

I'm getting a new Mac and will need to upgrade my software. I'm considering all options and not just an automatic change to the latest version of Banktivity.

I really only use it as a checkbook register and tracking income/expenses by category so I can compare to budgets.

I've got 95% of my investments at Vanguard so I can see all that on one screen and see no need to download that data into another program. So no need to track/analyze investments although I think most progams will offer that.

For those that use Mac software to track bank account information what do you use and are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Moneydance for the last nine years. Very happy with it, as it does everything I need it to. A bit of a learning curve when you first start out, but it grows on you. More importantly, it has never gone flaky with my data, as Quicken used to do when I used that.

Moneydance +1
You can stay on one version of the software forever, or upgrade if you like. They maintain a website with knowledgeable staff who can help with questions or issues.

- Rita

Another +1 for Moneydance. I’ve used MS Money, Quicken and then Moneydance. I find all of these programs had a bit of a learning curve. I did start clean - except some manual reentering of investments - when I transitioned.

I’ve been using Moneydance for about 8 years, when I was looking for software that worked on a Mac. It’s grown on me and an unexpected benefit has been it’s integration of python. I have a number of python scripts I use to generate custom reports. I also wrote my own script to update stock prices, since what is available in Moneydance is somewhat limited (even though I think it’s better now?).

I’m happy with Quicken for Mac. Intuit did a lousy job of developing the software but the new owners have been providing regular updates. They haven’t added any major new functionality but they keep refining the product to make it work smoothly.

I have to give them a lot of credit for adding native support for the new M1 Apple CPU that just came out a few weeks ago on the MacBook Air and 13” MacBook Pro. Even large companies like Microsoft and Google have not ported their software to run natively on M1 but Quicken released version 6.0 with native M1 support the same week that Apple began shipping the new Macs. That was pretty impressive and it runs amazingly fast and smooth now.

I’ve run Quicken for Windows on my Mac (via Parallels) for many years. Works great. Have looked at other applications, but nothing else seems to be able to tie together my entire financial life and investments like Quicken does.

Moneyspire for the last year for me.
https://www.moneyspire.com
Purchase, not a subscription. $30
Links to their cloud so wife and I can share on our iMacs. Backups to my Mac.
Straightforward ledger and no cuteness.
Developers are very responsive.

Last edited:
mint.com...didn't like Quicken or other offline alternatives enough to pay for them anymore.

Update on solution:

When my wife was setting up the new Mac and moving all the data/apps she was able to transfer the iBank app and data. She had to download Rosetta which appears to be similar to a Win/Mac parallel but is a "parallel" between the old and new Mac operating systems. So it appears we will just keep using that for free assuming it continues to operate normally.

Checkbook

I have used Checkbook by Splasm Software for the past 5 years. During that time never a hitch. Solid, never fail. It has similar features as Quicken (I have never needed to use them).

Back
Top Bottom