FIRE - Ideas for Staying Active

Reading, exercising, cooking, checking out the neighbourhood (which in our case includes NYC)

I have been reading a lot. I find that now that I'm not working, I can read non-fiction books that I used to have a very hard time finishing.

And I run, bicycle or do yoga quite regularly.

The only 'structured' activity we have is a once a week house clean up.

For me it's a never ending procession of projects that keep me busy. Since the monsoons have stopped and grass quit growing I've been entertaining myself with things like refinishing our 24 year old patio set. It took about a week to clean up and spray paint all nine pieces. Fixed a bunch of hail dings and repainted my garage door.

Last week I discovered some really neat extruded vinyl molding at the lumberyard. So I hauled about 500 feet of it home and started replacing all the old wood trim around our windows. So far I've finished all the windows on the first floor. This week it's time get the extension ladders out and start the second floor. :p Sure wish they had the vinyl stuff 20 years ago when I replaced all the siding. I'm still engineering how to replace the molding around the attic vents, about 30 feet above the driveway. :eek:

When the windows are finished I may go back and get the vinyl 1 x 6 trim boards and start replacing the wood corner and band boards all around the house. The ultimate goal is no painting outside.

The list of fun things to do gets longer everyday.

The ultimate goal is no painting outside.

The list of fun things to do gets longer everyday.
Solved the painting problem by only buying stone or brick houses. I do hate to paint.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Spent a good bit of last two years landscaping around new house, in particular solving some drainage issues where after heavy rains way too much water came close to house. Dug some drainage troughs at the edge of the property to divert water to storm drains. This cut sump pump run time way down.

Next fun project, chimney sweep before the fall. Have brush will sweep. This time remember to wear a face mask. Don't care for the smell of creosote in the morning.
wink.gif

Firewood is cut and stacked, that's another off the list.
And so it goes..... (Kurt Vonnegut)

Planned to go kayaking this morning, somehow 55 degrees in August is not conducive to that, though in October 55 feels warm on the water. Nice part of being retired, unless conditions fit the mood, I'll pass on the activity.

Back
Top Bottom