FIRE opposites

I know plenty of people who live paycheck to paycheck. ...

... Who knows, they might end up getting more enjoyment out of life than us savers and planners....

I realize we are beginning to beat a dead horse, here, but I'm not sure that 1) these people are truly enjoying themselves [more] and as a corollary 2) I firmly believe we LBYMers enjoyed ourselves as much, and without the guilt.

OTOH!

DW had a work friend who spent like crazy. I mean $10,000 hand bags, family trips to St Bart$ (~$20K), $3MM home, $50K watch. She made good money but was way over her head; it really was a disease but she'd been like this for the 30 years we knew her.

She'd then brag about how electric/phone/gas/cable company would come and cut off her service for non-payment every few months; she'd sell some bauble to get the power back on and then do it all again. No way to live IMO.

Then, on a shopping trip to Manhattan she had a stroke and died right there in the middle of Tiffany's (how fitting) at the age of 50. Being single with grown children, she likely left a ton of debt but got off this rock unscathed. She had a good time for the time she had.

Last edited:
He who dies with the most toys - wins.

Good buddy lived this way. He eventually sold all the cars, boats, wave runners, camper, lake house, etc. He STILL has the $50K(?) Camaro - with $7K after market blower - 800HP(?).

He is in debt half a million at age 76. BUT he still has good SS and some pension (DW also has these). SO, he typically can meet his payments and live in a nice (not fabulous) house. He scrimps ONLY when he has to. Technically he owns nothing but the cr*p INSIDE his house.

I'm not certain I can fault him, but I'd be dead if I'd had his stress level. We both w*rked at the same place and made about the same money. Between he and his wife, he had about the same income as DW and I. Occasionally, I sense his envy of me. He knows (in general terms) that my paid-for condo is worth more than he owes. He never protests that I pay whenever we go out for lunch, etc.

I guess the two of us are just about perfect opposites as defined by this thread. Still, we are good friends and always have a good time together - especially reliving HIS past. YMMV

One of my friends investment plan:

"My Ameriprise GURU is handling my investment account"

"He got me in a Variable Annuity that pays 6%!"

"He had me sell at the bottom in 2009 and it cost me $400K....but it's a deductible capital loss" (so that's OK?)

These are TRUE statements from him. We don't talk finances...ever (anymore).

My brothers motto " why save for retirement I'll be dead anyway"

If it was fast and stupid he was doing it and then add chain smoking and drinking and I can understand why he might think that. Pretty sure he was trying to set a record for most broken bones and he is missing a thumb and a rib from 2 of his worst accidents.

"live for today, you might die tomorrow"

Well, I "might die tomorrow", but so far 21,000+ days behind me and I'm still here.

At my retirement party, one of the folks said he had never contributed to his 401k because it was more important to have a 10 second car.

If I had not retired, he would have been my boss a few years leter.

I don't know if I could have handled that.

At my retirement party, one of the folks said he had never contributed to his 401k because it was more important to have a 10 second car.

If I had not retired, he would have been my boss a few years leter.

I don't know if I could have handled that.

that 10 second car guy wasn't me .... i live in Australia .

but i inherited a fair amount of money and decided NOT to buy that awesome Ferrari with it , who would have dreamed temption would have been resisted ( by me )

that 10 second car guy wasn't me .... i live in Australia .

but i inherited a fair amount of money and decided NOT to buy that awesome Ferrari with it , who would have dreamed temption would have been resisted ( by me )

I hear you. Watching the Grand Tour is a short term fix, though I would like to do a few laps in a fast car at the speedway.

I have to say I agree with all the responses from page 1 of the discussion (that's how much I read in this thread).

My example is my mother, who is 69 and has been looking into buying a new car for four years now and has lots of internal conflict. It is difficult to explain things to her. I am not sure she should even drive anymore but she does need the car to work at the hospital.

I don't agree with the following mentality of hers:
- new cars are the only choice (I guess she doesn't want old car because it costs money to repair). It's an escape thinking that conveniently ignore the cost of the new car

- she puts a lot of her waking moment researching cars (it's been four years), it has become her one of major focuses in life. What a waste of her life. But she could do a lot worse without this obsession (or worry depending on how you look at it)

- she is not good at math or science, a lot of evaluation on cars is based on her feeling, not facts.

My consistent suggestions for her is if her goal is to save money and have a trouble-free car,she needs to buy a 3-7 yr old car with good maintenance record. She likes the car sales people's advice better who have been calling her when new cars come into the lot. I stopped giving advice about half year ago. It's mental stress to give someone you care about the same advice for over 3 years. It's not fun to see her rot but I learned that's part of the job of the children.

I can just buy her a car with cash, but I know she will complain about it. If the decision is not hers, she feels it's her responsibility to find something to complain about or someone to blame.

So that's her way to set herself up to be poor and have to work until she drops because she cannot afford not to. It's unfortunately that she was never given a chance to learn how money works and with old age, she no longer has the capacity to understand money as clear or as deep as some of us who know the importance about the topic.

But I need it

When the need is really a want.

Collorary: I work hard, I deserve it.

When the need is really a want.

Collorary: I work hard, I deserve it.

True that! This year I managed to have my living expense category (housing excluded) need : want ratio to be 1:1. My next year's goal is 2:1.

1XS 1st ex spouse
JG's "It's my money and I want it now" JG Wentworth (actually wentworth is a good name for this list)
Brand-ez must have the brand label showing
Sale-ers on sale? must buy
There is a whole group of new startups that offer rebates when you buy stuff-the ads are awful. ie"I saved so much money on rakuten that I paid for my wedding" That is a serious amount of spending at a 4% rebate.

I worked with a preacher who married us. I gave him 100 bucks. Then we went out for dinner. We had a pretty inexpensive wedding.

"SOME OF US have to work."

Only to my DW, who has said this on rare occasions, have I replied with what I wanted to say, "No, you CHOSE to work at this point in your life". (DW will work 3 more years and has chosen to do that). I remember seeing all of those living at, or above their means all those years and just thinking, "Ok, one day, we'll see where you are, and where I am...." Although in rare instances some people take hard hits from the **** happens Gods, for the most part, I have no sympathy.....

+1 Don't know how they do it, but lots of friends and family enjoying life living day to day.
Sometimes wish I could.
+1. Living day-to-day is too stressful for me. When I took out my first mortgage, I nearly had a heart attack. I felt like I was chained to the house, job and location. Same with car payments.

I'm too much of a wuss to be in debt at this point, and was always afraid of becoming homeless.....

Anyway, the freedom and lack of weight that FI brings...is priceless!

I guess the "opposite of FIRE" might be that you love your profession, enjoy doing it, and wouldn't dream of retiring and leaving your team even with all the money you've saved up over the years.

I’m working hard to balance two competing concerns. Don’t want to be the richest guy in the graveyard versus live a prudent lifestyle commensurate with our financial resources.

Back
Top Bottom