FIRECalc Data Update?

USGrant1962

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is the data update for 2020 data coming soon? It was updated on April 11 last year.

Yep - minutes ago!

I mentioned in the other update thread that there may be a bug. My model did not increment the number of runs/periods when 2020 data was added. I looked at the default 30-year single-year spreadsheet result starting variously from 1988 to 1992 and the data ends in 2018. No 2019 or 2020 results/calculations.

So is FIRECalc actually using 2019 and 2020 data?

Can someone check my work?

Hmm... please try now and let me know. Fixed a typo.

My basic model added a period/run, so that's good. And when I try the default "single-year" spreadsheet it added 2019 results, but is still missing 2020 (using a 1990 or later start date).

Could that be a problem with the spreadsheet generation routine?

It should be working the same as before. But note that the spreadsheet only works for 30 year terms.

It should be working the same as before. But note that the spreadsheet only works for 30 year terms.

This is what I did:
  • Open FIRECalc at the defaults,
  • Go to Investigate Tab
  • Click provide data...in spreadsheet format
  • Change the start date to 1991
  • Submit
  • On results page, open a single year spreadsheet
  • It shows 1990-2019, same if you set start at 1990 (as expected) or 1992.
No 2020 data appears in the spreadsheet.

I chose Bernicke's spending model with current age 64 in 2021 to NOT get constant spending so the year by year would show.

On Investigate, I asked for data using 1991 as the starting year.

It showed 30 years which would end in 2021. The ratio of year over preceding year was different for all 30 years.

Did that confirm it?

Maybe I don't know how to pull the right data out?

Could that be a problem with the spreadsheet generation routine?
You are right -- It's in an error correction routine, and here is what happens:

To make sure there the spreadsheet has 30 full years, it will override the start year you entered if necessary -- but it is putting a new start year of 31 years ago and not 30. (For example, if you put in 2015, it also shows a start year of 1990.)

So the last year isn't being picked up in the Excel export, if after 1990.

I'll need to do some digging -- thanks for spotting that!

Back
Top Bottom