FIREd at age 42 and the experiment continues

arcyallen

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all! I've been a fan of frugality since birth and have always spent less than I've made, whether it be $4.15/hr or $100k/yr. When I was 19 I had a very detailed plan on how I would retire. That plan laid out dates, incomes, and expenditures. It was also horribly, horribly wrong on most every count!

Fast forward to today. I retired in 2018 (my wife a few years earlier) and have been still trying to figure out what makes me happy. On one hand, I wake up every day with a low-grade euphoria. That's an OK thing to have. But I also have daily concerns with "Am I doing what is making me happy?" I know working because I have to would not! But I am still trying to explore myself and figure out what will bring me maximum happiness. I'm also an open book and happy to answer questions. Even my own family still can't understand how I retired so early! I really believe if more people embraced the idea of FIRE (or to avoid misconceptions, just FI) the world would be a drastically better...and happier...place.

Shhh. We need people to keep working so we can have more fun

I believe just growing and learning is a worthy endeavor unto itself. Those who are retired have plenty of choice and time to fill the void of work as one wishes.
I choose to learn as much as I can with what interests me so I can make better decisions not only today, but also going forward.

Learning is a lifelong process and it is such a good feeling knowing I woke up today a little bit wiser than I did yesterday.

I believe just growing and learning is a worthy endeavor unto itself. Those who are retired have plenty of choice and time to fill the void of work as one wishes.
I choose to learn as much as I can with what interests me so I can make better decisions not only today, but also going forward.

Learning is a lifelong process and it is such a good feeling knowing I woke up today a little bit wiser than I did yesterday.

I will say something I overlook is how much time I deep dive on topics that interest me. I'm a HUGE fan of looking at and understanding both sides of a story. I find most people who have a strong opinion really don't fully understand any other opinion, may it be the 4% Rule or (insert hot topic here). I've changed my mind on many things over the years just from simply spending the time listening, thinking, and understanding. Having time to really think is probably the biggest FIRE perk of all!

I will say something I overlook is how much time I deep dive on topics that interest me. I'm a HUGE fan of looking at and understanding both sides of a story. I find most people who have a strong opinion really don't fully understand any other opinion, may it be the 4% Rule or (insert hot topic here). I've changed my mind on many things over the years just from simply spending the time listening, thinking, and understanding. Having time to really think is probably the biggest FIRE perk of all!

That is where trying to look at a problem from more than one angle can be really helpful. I am trying to learn that now. It is unbelievable how much long term advantage there is in trying to look at things from different angles and this can apply to just about everything in life.

The comment to research both sides of a topic, and challenge ones beliefs and opinions brings to mind a recent book I found interesting. The title is Think Again by Adam Grant. FWIW, I download kindle and audiobooks from our library for free using an app. I enjoy audio books while driving, especially longer road trips. I do wonder whether I'm challenging myself intellectually during FIRE, considering an art or language class at JC to keep my noodle busy.

Last edited:
The comment to research both sides of a topic, and challenge ones beliefs and opinions brings to mind a recent book I found interesting. The title is Think Again by Adam Grant. FWIW, I download kindle and audiobooks from our library for free using an app. I enjoy audio books while driving, especially longer road trips. I do wonder whether I'm challenging myself intellectually during FIRE, considering an art or language class at JC to keep my noodle busy.

Think Again is an excellent book! I'd also recommend anything from Jonathan Haidt. Downloading books to a Kindle from the library is awesome, but I find my library only has about 5% of the books I'd actually like to read.

Welcome and please continue to contribute. I haven't read every post here so I am wondering if you have a post (elsewhere) on "How I Did It? 42 is rather young even here where we all claim some form of "early retirement." I personally claim Financial Independence at 51 but I didn't pull the plug until 58. Relaying how you were able to retire at 42 would not only be interesting but potentially instructive to some of the Young Dreamers. If you've already done so, please direct me (us) to it. Aloha

Welcome and please continue to contribute. I haven't read every post here so I am wondering if you have a post (elsewhere) on "How I Did It?

I JUST found this site myself and haven't done much posting yet. There's no real secret to how I did it, but if I had to quickly break it down:
-I've worked almost non-stop since I was 13, and even then always saved something from each paycheck. That means living way below my means, which still means I'm living a ridiculously decadent life. We generally all do, we just don't always know it or appreciate it!
-I like being "the best" at whatever I do. At every job I researched what made me the most money, and then I did those things. To me, it seems obvious. But I find 95% of the people I know don't really care enough to do that. I earned multiple trips around the country when I worked for two employers because I carefully tracked what I needed to do to win. Most of the people I knew barely paid attention. They did not earn those trips.
-I've been 100% stock/stock mutual funds since I was 19. I have a near infinite risk tolerance, as long as I'm convinced in the quality of the investments I'm in.
-Although she had a negative net worth when we met, my wife was 100% on board with retiring early. She has Muscular Dystrophy and knew she couldn't work forever and wanted to "enjoy life" while she still could. She too climbed the ranks where she worked as quickly as she reasonably could.

Maybe I'll make a more detailed post sometime if people are really interested. Honestly it's refreshing for someone to even -be- interested. When I told people a few years ago we were retiring they were shocked...but not one person asked how we did it. And they know I'm more than happy to talk about it (and money in general).

Congrats and welcome, arcyllen. Keep sharing your interesting story and your learnings.

Regarding, “Am I doing what most makes me happy?”, this is my top concern, too, after leaving full time w*rk at 54.

For me, the absence of office irritants is a relief. Other than that I find at about 22 months in that my own “happiness” set point is the same as it always was.

Now it’s more about enjoying long, leisurely mornings, daily walks, then doing things to fight boredom, since all my friends work full time. Part time consulting is working pretty well to fill time, earn some dough and have a sense of mastery and accomplishment.

But life is not perfect just because I FIREd early.

If you want to kill some time, get into baseball. lol. I see so many people kill so much time trying to watch every game of the season. Or Basketball is similar. Or even Hockey. IF you want to kill a LOT of time, get into all 3. I somehow feel like that isn't the answer you are looking for though. My millionaire next door father never concerned himself with pro sports always referring to them and celebs as primadonnas which he is probably right. Instead he learned how to fix things, read books, watched super interesting movies and documentaries, and helped people. I am still enamored at how much he helps people, he has an impressive reach when it comes to that kind of thing and I feel like that makes his life really full of meaning and purpose. On the contrary, when people ask for help but don't listen much he has a real short patience for that. Maybe try helping others out that are willing to listen!

I will be 42 in a year and a half, and I didn't figure out FIRE was a thing until I was 26, and didn't believe in myself until I was about 34. Spent too much on women, booze and other party favors living above my means too early in life. No regrets, just changed the math equation a bit out of my favor. I'll still clear it at 50, and I've had a fun ride.

Things I am going to do: Alpine ski more often, read more often, spend lots of time with my family, get more into space travel and knowledge, watch more movies, keep my home up with lots of DIY and maintenance projects, manage the families money more closely, try to maintain my health, possibly get into cooking a bit more, learn how to play the guitar or any other string instrument, pickup my saxophone again, enjoy more classical music, theater and orchestra concerts, learn another language. Yeah, I won't have any issues finding things to do when I finally DO ER. 3 little kids keep me pretty busy now, and by FIRE it will be 3 young adults that keep me busy. Like my ol man, I will help them as much as I can in every aspect of their lives. For, without each other, we are merely alone.

Welcome to the forum & thanks for sharing your story. It can be very frustrating talking with people in real life about money. Fortunately we have found other oddballs on here.

Welcome to the forum.
Look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard arcyallen. Congratulations on making It at such a young age. Please do post your story as you never know who might take inspiration from your journey. I learnt and continue to learn a lot by reading posts of fellow members. Breadth of information, sense of humor, tough love, mutual respect and willingness to share one’s knowledge are a few things that got me hooked to this forum for more than a decade. Also, feel free to ask if you have any questions (even non fire related).

Another welcome to the forum. I also would like more details on your journey to the very early retirement. One thing you will find here is that we are not like the majority of people in regard to money. Our paths to the end are different, but we all learn along the journey. It sounds like you were an employee at larger companies? That is a common path for many here, working at what we call megacorp. Although we also have self employed, business owners, govt workers, and small company employees.

I hope you and your wife enjoy the time you have now to enjoy retirement while her health is good. Doing what makes you happy is one of the best parts of retirement. You do what you want to do, not what you have to do.

Welcome to our wonderful forum. Not many people will ask you how you did it, coz they most likely don't really wish to hear the response unless it was by lottery or inheritance.
Never underestimate the jealousy aspect which will continue to grow.

Back
Top Bottom