Fishing, Farming, and being a Lady

Fishfarmlady

Confused about dryer sheets
Years ago when on-line systems would generate a password for you (remember those?) some app assigned me fishfarmlady. I never used it for a password but kept it as a username because that darn computer knew me well. I like to Fish, we have a weekend Farm, and I suppose at times I am a Lady. My mother always told me I should be one, but at times I disappoint.

I'm 55 in August 2014 and hit the golden milestone at megacorp to retire with pension. It is a reduced pension that increases until it maxes out if I wait til 60. Still, not a bad gig at 55. DH (see, I'm reading and learning the lingo) was handed ER about 3 years ago, not in our plan, but we have survived. He is 6 years older, and LOVING the sloth life. I'm so envious those mornings I am up at 4:30am to head for the airport for another drudge week of business travel, and he is still in deep sleep. Heck, I'm envious those mornings that I don't leave the house until 8am, and he is just cracking his iPad to read the morning news.

Last weekend we graduated the last one from college. :dance: Have paid for four sets of college tuition over the last 10 years so this last graduation was a major tearful milestone -- yeah, yeah, happy they all graduated, but even happier to have written the last tuition check! :D

We are good on retirement savings, eg 401ks and rollovers. Have been maxing out for almost my entire career. We can tap those if needed since DH is past the mark. My pension should cover about 60% of a generous monthly expense budget we have made. We don't live high, but I'm the worried planner -- are you SURE that is enough?

We are asset rich and cash poor, especially after 10 years of tuition from cash flow. Due to earlier setbacks we did not have a huge store of savings for college so had to do this from income.

We have a paid off city house, a weekend farm with house and 160 acres free and clear, two good vehicles with no loans and a cheap little RV we enjoy 4-5 times a year.

We are selling our big house, moving smaller in a couple of months, but about break even on price. Expenses will be less in the smaller house but it is newer and in a better location so the price is about the same. I know this next year will have move-in costs, and "we need a new sofa to match the carpet" syndrome will certainly set in. Gotta get past this hump.

My worry is cash. I want to join the class of 2015 but need a cash goal to get there. Get moved and settled in new smaller house, then stash the cash -- so I'm sucking into OMY.

Let me say, our financial planner rolls his eyes and says YES YOU CAN DO THIS but I'm in that chicken phase and need a shove over the edge.

I have a list longer than my arm of things to do in Act 2.0. Lots of hobbies and volunteering and travel and friends who are already there and waiting for us.

Push me!

No.

I can no longer encourage you or anyone else to retire early and enjoy the good life beyond the everyday grind of work. FIREes don't need more of us, we need more of you funding Medicare and SS, paying higher taxes, and staying out of our way during the week so we can go about our business leisurely while you are at work.

My advice is stay on the job until at least 75, 80 would be better. :)

Welcome to the forum, fishfarmlady!

I really enjoyed reading your first post.

Come on in, the water's fine! Although you sound like a happy person already, I bet you'll be even happier in ER. :flowers:

Fishfarmlady,

C'mon jump in! The water's fine! :dance:

Welcome aboard.

omni

Welcome!

Maybe I am hard of thinking with my brain turning to mush now that I am no longer in the cube, but if you are asset rich it should be easy to become cash rich within a few business days, no? Financial assets turn into cash with a click and 3 days' settlement last I saw.

No.

I can no longer encourage you or anyone else to retire early and enjoy the good life beyond the everyday grind of work. FIREes don't need more of us, we need more of you funding Medicare and SS, paying higher taxes, and staying out of our way during the week so we can go about our business leisurely while you are at work.

Dagnabit, that's just mean!

Fishfarmlady,

C'mon jump in! The water's fine! :dance:

Welcome aboard.

omni

Got that right. Welcome!

We are asset rich and cash poor, especially after 10 years of tuition from cash flow. Due to earlier setbacks we did not have a huge store of savings for college so had to do this from income.

We have a paid off city house, a weekend farm with house and 160 acres free and clear, two good vehicles with no loans and a cheap little RV we enjoy 4-5 times a year.

Welcome to the forum!

Surely, sending 4 kids to college costs a pretty penny, even for in-state. You are doing well.

Tell us more about your hobby farm. 160 acres take a lot of work! It has a house, so can you live there? What do you produce? Can it generate some income? Leasing it out? We had a few posters who were active with their farm, but have not heard from them in a long time.

No.

I see the smile but not the welcoming message I expected for my first response. I will take it in fun.

Welcome to the forum!

Surely, sending 4 kids to college costs a pretty penny, even for in-state. You are doing well.

Tell us more about your hobby farm. 160 acres take a lot of work! It has a house, so can you live there? What do you produce? Can it generate some income? Leasing it out? We had a few posters who were active with their farm, but have not heard from them in a long time.

We are doing prairie restoration which is a long term investment in making our little piece of the earth a better place, but not much on the income side. We do have some under a hay lease to satisfy the tax man. A small orchard of plums, nectarines, peaches, and blackberries. A 5acre aquarium. And lots of wildflowers. Yes a small house for short visits but unable to live there full time.

Back
Top Bottom