Fishing. Someone Stop Me!

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm really into fishing these days. Too much so. I go two to three times per week.

I stopped fishing a few years ago because:

1. Loading up the canoe was a big hassle.
  2. I could rarely catch something we could eat and that tasted good.
  3. I felt sorry for the fish.
Things are different now.

Solving problem 1, I now have a thirty-six pound kayak that I can load into the truck in minutes.

pORcIYH.jpg

For problem 2, I've gotten pretty good at catching wild cutthroat trout, which taste good (not like stocked trout). I mostly fish catch-and-release, but I bring home about one fish per week.

zrYWIZE.jpg

I've found that the bass taste even better.

6MJWqIA.jpg

I rationalize torturing the fish (problem 3) because they are attacking my lures and worms, so it's reasonable that I attack them.

But perhaps most importantly, the fishing is an excuse to be out on the kayak. It's really beautiful out there on Big Lagoon, and I'm often the only one around.

q6nsk_21pI9XH7RXzdWtd-4l5SdfIyd-rCIkUk8dcsFcVHyKSaDR0fb5dCUpLirgKYzCzYX901yeJ0A0XUODjoL-18wmf9ZR3S4VW6HTRdI-is1X6uVBE2xF0TTiAV8xC6p-97TdvVC2HBkzEKaNqlS7nSIf2U2YoWD5Ikcc0HX6-EbDxaXCr2qpe1X46fA0D23HOt_nlXic-_40yuSCnGBinCPhBN5Wx76JdwGNacFlyGuvu8kg7JZbQwD8lV7IzjSgbmbfeBfier2yxw71hk3JBbW2i9ouML0xSCPZaJoP6jV1fnoD2vd96FTEi8UNp_Q3IXBEOoOCTmGmY8w42ovz0MgeuQIw7e4gxk5ZS_UHj3kPWqQsrd_z1RqpaljQRvsTIWnlAsgu5cUMHz4ojIflPFNeDf71xrs2P516RmNejnMz2SWm-s0im0ImDfeSwvo-1hLxXly2pmFPGUzBqvgK9-cFRXAbZ3kIdL8D84gau2ZxGN4uKMKsBmQpy1MWVP0_8W7XAfUwJo6xeZeCaP409vUdTiMeh01lFVxVOr1o1NXY_bSE6IZcwjiKU-4yLumLnPI_3CpLqayDFWgNaRpycFCGSEggpbb7AsLouA=w1423-h799-no

It feels weird to go so often, but when it's not cold and there isn't much wind, I can't resist.

You can see more pictures here.

That is a beautiful area. I have some nice pictures of the lagoons.

We have overcome all three problems as well :)

1. My wife designed and built a hanging kayak setup. We moved closer to fishing, so popping the two kayaks and gear in the back of the SUV is easy.
2. Any time we don't catch redfish (our keeper target), we write it off as a good day kayaking :)
3. The fish are likely to die by getting eaten by a porpoise or other bigger fish. I just steal myself from the emotion.

I agree that once you get things set up correctly there's little reason not to be on the water. Bass, crappie, an occasional walley, no trout though.

Guess I'm not one to talk you out of it.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1510544762.307663.jpg

Last edited:
Yes proper setup is important. I would not suggest you stop fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_6957.jpg
    IMG_6957.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68
I'm from the camp that believes any animal (be it fish, fowl,or 4 legged critter) that you harvest will have a much less torturous demise than any animal remnants you pick up at the grocery store.

When I taught my son to hunt, I explained to him that animals in the wild usually die from disease, starvation, or as prey from other animals (no CCRC's for them).

Fish on & Hunt on!

Thanks for posting, Al. Looks like fun! I'd like to try fishing from my kayak but have some questions.

1. What do you do with your rod and reel when you catch a fish? Do you have a place on your kayak to mount the rod while you remove the fish?

2. Where do you put the fish after you catch them? In a mesh basket or stringer attached to the outside of the kayak?

Also agree - why would you stop fishing?

It's not all about writing books is it?

You are really enjoying your retirement I think!

....It's not all about writing books is it?....

Maybe Al's getting material for his next book - one where an old man takes to the sea in search of fish. He hooks a huge one - but it tows him far out to sea. He eventually gets the fish to his boat, but it is so big that he has to strap it to the boat. Then sharks pick it to bones as he rows back to shore.

That story line might have been taken, but I'm sure Al can come up with an interesting fish story.

I have a friend who, when he retired, commissioned a fishing boat and is now a serious part-time Chesapeake Bay Waterman. He literally feeds his extended family on rockfish and blue crab. Not that they can't afford their own food - they are all well-set financially - but what you pull from the water is far more delicious than what you buy at the fish store, let alone frozen. I only wish we lived closer!

I love to fish and thoroughly enjoy it. My DF's retirement was all about fishing in SE Florida. Snook are awesome game fish and tasty too.

My fishing today is mainly trout, some bass and landlocked salmon.

The best day on the water ever was with FIL, DF and me out on the Atlantic. Fishing for Maui Maui and instead we caught 9 Cuban refugees 25 miles off the coast!

They'd been ou there two nights, no engine, no food, a liter of water left for a 3 year old. You can't see land from that far out. Pretty scary to be them.

At that time we were allowing Cubans in but not Hatian refugees. They're English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian".
I may have seen happier people, but I don't recall when!

Took a few hours for the Coast Guard to get to us and find us. Even with LORAN and radio it's tough to find other boats. I'm not sure how we spotted those folks but maybe I do.

Wow, what a story!

I love to fish and thoroughly enjoy it. My DF's retirement was all about fishing in SE Florida. Snook are awesome game fish and tasty too.

The best day on the water ever was with FIL, DF and me out on the Atlantic. Fishing for Maui Maui and instead we caught 9 Cuban refugees 25 miles off the coast!

They'd been ou there two nights, no engine, no food, a liter of water left for a 3 year old. You can't see land from that far out. Pretty scary to be them.

At that time we were allowing Cubans in but not Hatian refugees. They're English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian".

Took a few hours for the Coast Guard to get to us and find us. Even with LORAN and radio it's tough to find other boats. I'm not sure how we spotted those folks but maybe I do.

Lovely pictures. It’s a healthy outdoor hobby that provides food for the table. No reason to stop.

I don't use my boat as much as I should. Almost use it less than before I retired. But, I also have two friends that take their boats out and I just have to show up and pay for gas.

It is a hassle to get things ready the day before, then do the cleanup after you've spent 8 hours out. But, when you bring back the booty from fishing or crabbing it makes it all so worthwhile.

I have learned not to put a pencil on $ spent versus what's caught. We all know that it would be much cheaper to go to the store and buy fish.

I'm now into making my own spinners for salmon/steelhead and have the bug big time.

Reading up now on river scouting techniques for steelhead. Love YouTube.

Thanks for posting, Al. Looks like fun! I'd like to try fishing from my kayak but have some questions.

>1. What do you do with your rod and reel when you catch a fish? Do you have a place on your kayak to mount the rod while you remove the fish?

Yes, I have a great rod mount:

aWlPvyy.jpg

>2. Where do you put the fish after you catch them? In a mesh basket or stringer attached to the outside of the kayak?

I use a stringer. You can see a trout on the stringer in this picture. It's deeper than it looks (four feet?).

Aq3AST2.jpg

When I paddle, the fish is dragged behind the kayak. More fish torturing. It doesn't kill them, but it doesn't seem pleasant.

>English consisted of "we Cuban, no Hatian". I may have seen happier people, but I don't recall when!

Wonderful story!

Great story!

Maybe Al's getting material for his next book - one where an old man takes to the sea in search of fish. He hooks a huge one - but it tows him far out to sea. He eventually gets the fish to his boat, but it is so big that he has to strap it to the boat. Then sharks pick it to bones as he rows back to shore.

That story line might have been taken, but I'm sure Al can come up with an interesting fish story.

That plot is too unbelievable, forgettable, would never sell and certainly could never be a classic.

I'll be fishing regularly soon. After the house gets done. A new (used) boat in a slip at the marina on the Delta 10 miles from my house. Catfish, stripers, big mouth, sturgeon and salmon.

Thanks for the tips, Al. That rod mount is exactly what I need. I'll probably get a basket instead of a stringer. Last time I used a stringer, turtles ate my fish.

I have to ask, I've been lusting after a Hobie Angler as my solo craft. Any kayakers that have an opinion of the value proposition vs a cheaper standard paddler?

We have Hobies. Invaluable. Two rod holders, room for cooler. Strap the net to side. Peddles go four times faster than rowing, and you can fish at the same time. Try to rent one or demo. Our charter had them.

Sounds like a great life and love the pictures. I love to fish and fish a lot in spring and summer on the river where I own land. It is addicting no need to stop.

I'm looking forward to ice fishing soon. The ice had started but will be a few more weeks before I will go.

I LOVE fishing from my kayak - probably my favorite outdoor activity. I've been kayak fishing for over 10 years now. I fish around here (northern Michigan) for bluegills, bass, and crappies in the spring/summer. In the winter, we go to Texas, where I kayak fish for redfish, spotted seatrout, black drum in the saltwater. This winter, we are staying on a river in Texas, where I will be kayak fishing for catfish, white bass, and crappies. Kayak fishing is great fun, and it provides some great food for the family also. I only keep enough fish for a meal on each kayak outing (if I am lucky enough to catch fish).........anything beyond that gets released. I rarely fish from a regular boat anymore........kayak fishing is just much more fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom