Fitness Activities In Early Retirement

My knee replacement pretty much dictates no running unless I want to risk an early replacement of the replacement. I find hills a great substitute for running.

I've mapped out two walks. A long one at about 2.5 miles and a short one at about 3/4 of a mile. Both have steep slopes for at least 1/3 of the way and more gentle slopes also. Both start with a short steep downhill walk. I alternate them. One day its the long walk. the next day is two of the short walks separated by many hours. Supposedly, the two short walks are better in some respects that one long walk. If my legs are tired, I skip walking hills that day.

I also have a two daily routines for upper body strength. I alternate them. When traveling I do body weight exercises - push ups, lunges, and squats to try to not lose what I have gained. Sometimes I skip a day or two. It happens.

The body adapts to new and more difficult exercise, but does it very slowly. Much slower than in my 20's and 30's and even in my 50's.

Last edited:
After being a serious runner in my 30's and 40's, and completing a couple of marathons, my two hip replacements hold me back from active running again. Good, thing, as I may need knee replacements if I started again. I walk a lot these days, though...

Be careful at age 70+ running again.

As you get older, half marathons are a better choice IMHO.
As the bumper sticker says, "13.1 -- I'm only half crazy"

My last half was at 72, and I'm likely to do at least another one.

I suspect I’ll just do a half. Just left a meeting with DW’s knee replacement dr. He does lots of runners knees and hips. Doesn’t think that old people running is a good idea

Yup, whenever I take a break, the aches and stiffness come back if I sit too long. If I'm keeping up with deadlifts in particular (and not even a super high weight), everything else I do is easy.

Love,love,love deadlifts. Currently have a trainer 1x weekly for bar and kettlebell work. When I retire this June and move back to USA will do what you did, convert the supposed third car garage area to a gym with rack, barbells, bench and plates. My back pain is pretty much non existent now due to this weight work over the last two years. Consistency is key. I just paid for a day at a gym while traveling to do my workout….

For cardio I have a spin bike HIIT routine and walking…

My most strenuous activity lately is walking to the mailbox... on crutches.

For me, retirement has facilitated much greater consistency. When I was working, there were many days I worked long hours, plus business trips including dinners out, which made it difficult for me to maintain a consistent workout schedule. Now, I put the workouts on my calendar and generally follow through. I do water volleyball, pickleball, walking, gym workouts, and exercise classes. Generally I’m able to be active almost every day now. Agree with others about doing what you enjoy. Variety helps for me.

I do strength training 3 days a week. For 45 minutes or so.

I need to be reminded of doing it so I use an app. Which tells me which exercises to do.

I use the beginner level for getting fit. And like Aerides said we girls don't get bulky from this. But the app has another track for those who would like to get more bulky.

The app is called The Pump. For me it's well worth the subscription.

I do strength training 3 days a week. For 45 minutes or so.

I need to be reminded of doing it so I use an app. Which tells me which exercises to do.....

I strive to AVERAGE one exercise daily. With occasional rest day, I will often do 2 in a different day. Having a variety of exercises (run/swim/weights/bicycle) makes it easy for me to accomplish my monthly goal. But I don't beat myself up if I don't reach that goal.

For women in particular, but anyone wanting to start real strength training with free weights, it can be hard to start (a standard barbell is 45lbs, not something many of us can easily squat or bench on day 1, and probably not overhead press either).

There's an intro program called Liftoff - Couch to Barbell, that basically gets you ready for that with lighter dumbbells and other stuff that really gets you quickly past the initial hurdles.

I’ve learned not to over do exercises. Routines that would have been good for me pre 65 now can results in injuries. And it is possible to over exercises. My new for 2024 goal is to do alternate exercise routines 6 days a week. In reality with all the things that come up I exercise about 4 to 5 days a week. I try to walk two times a day. The walks include some descent hills in my area. From what I have read, two brisk 30 minute walks are actually better than one hour long walk.

Our muscles and bones respond better to multiple stresses each day rather than one big one. So I am told.

Last edited:
Now retired I average 4-5 days a week at Fitness Center and try to walk/cardio whenever possible up to 7 days a week. Ideally I push for 100000 steps or more.

I work in a military base, where luckily, there is a free instructor for many sports. I joint CrossFit class 7 years ago, and never let go of it. I am 54 now and I weight 10 lbs lighter than I was at 25. I do CrossFit most days of a week, supplemented with swimming and yoga. With a discipline diet, I go from decent waistline to 6 packs to 8-packs now.
I do CrossFit with group once or twice week with active duty folks, when exercise involved with body weight ie. pull ups, push-ups, I usually beat the young officers in their 30’s.
Last three months, I have started a group exercise meeting on Zoom with friends including DW, DD. We meet daily for high intensity workout for 15-20 minutes. Some dropped off, much most stick with it. Those stick around love it because they see a clear results.

Everyone's so active here :) I'm just trying to walk as much as I can. When I was younger, I didn't take the opportunity to get into sports, and starting to do so at an older age is hard.

I may be biased, but walking is great way to be active. I never hurt myself walking. I can't say the same thing about pickleball.

I belong to a health club and use stair master three times a week. I have found it far superior to running on a treadmill as it never makes my knees hurt and never makes my lower back hurt as running does. I also use the weight machines especially the lower back machine which my chiropractor recommended. I no longer use free weights because as much as I like them, I invariably hurt myself when I use them.

I belong to a health club and use stair master three times a week. I have found it far superior to running on a treadmill as it never makes my knees hurt and never makes my lower back hurt as running does. I also use the weight machines especially the lower back machine which my chiropractor recommended. I no longer use free weights because as much as I like them, I invariably hurt myself when I use them.

Is this a StairMaster brand that is like walking up the down escalator or is it an elliptical type machine? I can't walk very far but I can ride a recumbent trike and I have used elliptical machines successfully but not StairMaster. Upper body exercises are also an issue that limits me to elastic bands with modifications to the exercise so no free weights.

StairMaster

Is this a StairMaster brand that is like walking up the down escalator or is it an elliptical type machine? I can't walk very far but I can ride a recumbent trike and I have used elliptical machines successfully but not StairMaster. Upper body exercises are also an issue that limits me to elastic bands with modifications to the exercise so no free weights.

Yes, it is like walking up the down escalator. There is speed control, etc. on it so you can regulate the movement of the stairs.

I use the hills near my house for walking. There are some rather steep roads going up and down and they give me a good huffing and puffing workout without the need of running or using a device. The cost is zero other than a bit of wear and tear on my shoes. Most have sidewalks. Thankfully, I am waterproof, so I can even walk them in the rain. :D

Lately, I have taken to filling a 1/2 gallon jug with water and carrying it with me using my old hiking daypack. If it gets to too heavy or I get thirsty, I drink some water or pour it out. Some people have branded this trick as 'rucking' and are making money selling books about rucking along with special rucking equipment. Who knew?

Using advice from this group, I recently added some adjustable dumbbells to my exercise equipment. I learned a long time ago that one injury can undo weeks if not months of work, so I am careful to not overdo the weight and to keep good form. Going backward due to an injury is not an option.

Last edited:

I use the hills near my house for walking. There are some rather steep roads going up and down and they give me a good huffing and puffing workout without the need of running or using a device. The cost is zero other than a bit of wear and tear on my shoes. Most have sidewalks. Thankfully, I am waterproof, so I can even walk them in the rain. :D

Lately, I have taken to filling a 1/2 gallon jug with water and carrying it with me using my old hiking daypack. If it gets to too heavy or I get thirsty, I drink some water or pour it out. Some people have branded this trick as 'rucking' and are making money selling books about rucking along with special rucking equipment. Who knew?

Using advice from this group, I recently added some adjustable dumbbells to my exercise equipment. I learned a long time ago that one injury can undo weeks if not months of work, so I am careful to not overdo the weight and to keep good form. Going backward due to an injury is not an option.
The good thing about cardio and resistance exercises is the many variations available. Walking on the street, Stairmaster/treadmill/whatever, weights or bands, etc provide ample opportunity to find the exercise(s) one likes to do [or at least doesn't dislike] within whatever physical limitations someone may have. I enjoy doing the various exercises that I do, but on a given day I may not be in the mood. If that happens I either shorten the exercise, reduce the intensity, or take a rest day. The key is to generally be consistent in an exercise program.

I

Water is a good idea I was thinking to about carrying some weight but didn't want to walk home tired if it got too much.

Back
Top Bottom