Flat Earther Dies in Home Made Rocket

I got the impression that he was a poor man's wannabe Evil Kenievel who wanted publicity, and to get it, he had co-opted this flat earth philosophy. It wasn't his original reason for building the rocket. He got into it because it brought him publicity.

That seems to be exactly the case.

In the past, Hughes said he believed the Earth was flat, with some publications stating his launches were aimed at seeing the Earth's curvature for himself. In August 2019, however, Hughes told Space.com that his flat-Earth belief was not his launch motivator. He was simply a daredevil, pushing the envelope of homemade rockets, Hughes said.
'Mad Mike' Hughes, daredevil who built a homemade steam rocket, dies in launch attempt

Surely it would. You don't want to come too close to the edge lest you fall off it for one, if you are chicken.

Or if you are a daredevil, you may want to crawl carefully to the edge to look down. But be sure to wear a safety harness first. You may then try to see what the other side of the plate looks like.

kHGBAaGn2sbVhGnSuFNpQa-320-80.jpg

Or take a selfie while dangling your feet off the edge.....

At least his last words were probably not the typical "Here, hold my beer!"

I find it interesting that this site doesnt allow certain topics, yet they have no problem allowing members to make fun of someone's death. Keep it classy.

While watching all the cats, pushing stuff off to watch it fall. Or...would stuff actually fall? Does gravity exist away from the Earth's edge?

Or take a selfie while dangling your feet off the edge.....

Oh, of course; that makes sense. Boy, think of all the cool stuff that must be stuck to the Earth's underside by now. If I were a Flat Earther, the heck with going up in the air. I'm going underneath on a scavenger hunt!

(Why does this make me think of the blonde joke that ends, "We're not stupid, you know. We're going at night.")

I think you would just flip over to the back side........(gravity). :LOL:

Oh, of course; that makes sense. Boy, think of all the cool stuff that must be stuck to the Earth's underside by now. If I were a Flat Earther, the heck with going up in the air. I'm going underneath on a scavenger hunt!

(Why does this make me think of the blonde joke that ends, "We're not stupid, you know. We're going at night.")

I was about to say that people should have thought of exploring that underside long ago.

Now, if you go, you may simply see many drill bits from oil rigs poking through from the other side, plus all that frac sand they pump through. :facepalm:

Seriously, it has been said that it is a myth that people of ancient times believed in Flat Earthism.

From Wikipedia:

The myth of the flat Earth is a modern misconception that Earth was believed to be flat rather than spherical by scholars and the educated during the Middle Ages in Europe.

The earliest documentation of a spherical Earth comes from the Ancient Greeks (5th century BC). Since the 600s AD, scholars have supported that view, and by the Early Middle Ages (700-1500 AD), virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint.

Since the 1400s, belief in a flat Earth among educated Europeans was almost nonexistent...

The revival of Flat Earthism is a peculiar phenomenon of recent times. The medieval people were not as silly as we think.

Now, if you go, you may simply see many drill bits from oil rigs poking through from the other side, plus all that frac sand they pump through. :facepalm:

35 years in the oil and gas industry has me believing the earth is like an Oreo cookie with the oil and gas in the middle. You can drill from both sides! ;)

I did not disagree. What I said was that the greedy oil pumpers kept drilling deeper and deeper, and they might have broken through to the other side.

Note "might have". We don't really know until we go there to look.

I did not disagree. What I said was that the greedy oil pumpers kept drilling deeper and deeper, and they might have broken through to the other side.

Note "might have". We don't really know until we go there to look.

We have not seen the back side of the moon so maybe it's time to get a probe out there and have it double back and photograph the underside of Earth? :cool:

Where is Elon when you need him:confused:

I've never had a serious conversation with a "flat earther"...do they profess to know what part of the earth is the dead-center of the disk? The radius from the center to the edge, and what lies right on the edge?

In those ridiculous suits from the 1969 fake videos? As if a person could even move around in them.

Of course that is only if you believe the rubbish that anyone has actually been to the moon

I've never had a serious conversation with a "flat earther"...do they profess to know what part of the earth is the dead-center of the disk? The radius from the center to the edge, and what lies right on the edge?

They organize frequent conventions. You can attend one of these, and ask them.

I suspect that the answers would be that nobody yet knows, and we need exploration to find out. Like the rocket launch that's talked about here.

Last edited:
>>It's not that hard to see. Water seeks it's own level, but a boat sailing off into the distance will disappear over the horizon.

FE would say it just is getting smaller and smaller until you cannot see it anymore.

No, no, it's sea monsters pulling the ships down.

montfortkraken.jpg

I find it interesting that this site doesnt allow certain topics, yet they have no problem allowing members to make fun of someone's death. Keep it classy.

You got it all wrong ponyboy. We're not at all making fun of someone's death... his death is a tragedy... however we are making fun of his stupidity.

Even if he had survived or was slightly injured we would still be making fun of him so it has nothing to do with the fact that he died.

You got it all wrong ponyboy. We're not at all making fun of someone's death... his death is a tragedy... however we are making fun of his stupidity.

Even if he had survived or was slightly injured we would still be making fun of him so it has nothing to do with the fact that he died.

+1

“Gallows humor” is defined as “witticism in the face of – and in response to – a hopeless situation. It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.”

In light of this guy's stupidity and recklessness, death was both impending and unavoidable.

If mad Mike put a pillow at the landing spot, he would have survived. So stupid.

Back
Top Bottom