Flight from US to Europe and train to Scicli, Sicily

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We've been trying to coordinate a trip ourselves (I posted previously), but got delayed.

While delayed, a friend of ours who loves to set up vacations with friends invited us to meet them in Scicli on the southern tip of Sicily. They are going to be biking for a week prior to the get together, which is scheduled for 29 Oct 2018. Probably rent a house - total of 6-8 people - for about a week.

I've checked the weather - supposed to be 70-72 highs and 60ish lows. I know these are averages - and, can go much higher and low - BUT, anyone been there that time of year?

Next big issue is how would be the most fun to get there :). We both love train travel and would still like to fly (United on United/Chase points) into somewhere with inexpensive connections from the US to get on a scenic 5-7 day or so train schedule from the north (Switzerland or Germany) ... stay a day wherever would be fun but eventually make our way all the way to Scicli.

Anyone done anything like this? We're pretty flexible, but limited more by money and points :)

Thanks!!

For the cheapest way, just get to Europe. Then spend a day or 2 wherever the flight takes you, then jump on Ryanair and go to Sicily. I think they fly to about 4 or 5 cities there. I recommend renting a car to get around Sicily.

We flew to Catania from the Netherlands last January. It was awesome. The kids had a blast, and because it was not the peak summer tourism season, everything was very inexpensive and uncrowded. Our highlight was climbing Mt Etna, on snowshoes!

We went to Sicily in May 2016. Flew Aer Lingus JFK-Dublin-FCO Rome. Then flew Alitalia FCO-Florence. Wish we had taken the train. They had a problem starting the engines, it was hot with no AC sitting on the tarmac and the stewards handed out free waters. 3 nights in Florence. From Florence we took the train to Pisa. Checked our bags at the station. Walked to the tower and back to train station, claimed bags and rode a shuttle to airport. Flew Ryanair from Pisa to Catania on Sicily. We met our son and his wife who had already rented a car after flying the same Aer Lingus flight 3 days later and Ryanair from Rome to Catania. Spent 7 nights in Catania. All 4 of us flew Alitalia/Darwin from Catania to Naples. There was a labor dispute in Naples between the airline and the baggage handlers. Took forever to claim the bags and there were a lot of hot italians. Son rented another car and we spent 3 nights on Amalfi coast. Son and DIL dropped us off at Naples train station and they flew Aer Lingus from Naples to Dublin to JFK while we took a train to Rome. We got on wrong train at first and while switching trains I left my computer bag on the first train. I realized it while on the second train and explained it to the conductor. He made a phone call and had the bag located. We were in the same car/seats. I tried to tip the conductor and he refused it. The bag got to Rome before us and was waiting at Customer Service for me to claim. One night in Rome, should have been two. We flew Aer Lingus from Rome to Dublin to JFK. When we got home I wanted to send a compliment to Train Italia (or whatever it is called) for the conductor. They only had complaint forms on their web page. So I left one and started with "THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT."

Take the train and avoid Alitalia (at least for short hauls). Travel light - you have to carry your own bags on the train!

I looked at trains to/from Sicily. They put the train cars on a ferry to cross the Messina Strait between Sicily and the boot. There was an interesting youtube video showing that.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I’d fly into Catania. I’ve never taken the train, but from what I read, it’s a long train ride. As much as I like trains, I’d rather spend the extra time exploring Sicily.

We were in Sicily last year and flew in/out of Catania. If you fly a low budget airline (which you should), make sure to prepay for any checked luggage.

I’m not sure if you’re planning it, but I’d definitely recommend going inland while in Sicily. We went to Ragusa, which we all enjoyed. We rented a car and I thoroughly enjoyed the views while driving. Sicily has very scenic countryside.

Have fun!

If you fly into Rome, Naples, Florence, Milan, etc you can take the train to Sicily... They actually load the train onto a ferry and cross the straits of Messina. Kind of cool. We've done it twice - both times as an overnight train with couchettes.

The closest you can get to Scicli by train is Siracusa... You'd need to rent a car or take a bus to Scicli. We did a day trip there on one of our trips. We were waiting for the tourist office to open to get a map - and it never opened... A very nice resident adopted us and showed us the wonderful sites, herself... she didn't want the tourist office not opening to lessen our view of her town. It's a very nice town.

We stayed in Modica for a week - just north of Scicli.. if you want a recommendation of a great vacation apartment in Modica - here's the link. It was a great apartment with amazing views.

Last time we were in Sicily we had no flight arranged to go home. As luck would have it we snagged a last minute cruise from Rome-Barcelona, then cruise air home both at knock out prices.

Our choice was to train to Rome from Sicily or fly. Train was something like 12 hours and 50E. A Vueling flight was 1 hour and 37E. Plus the airport bus was outside the door of our B&B. Veuling won.

Lots of cheap flights in and out of Sicily. Lots of discount airlines. Do a search for discount airlines in Sicily.

Shop around. Trains may not be your best bet.

You can fly into Zurich from Dulles on United Airlines and start your train journey from there.
It would much easier if you picked a city to fly over to Sicily from--preferably Rome FCO.

Just got back from Sicily last night after a week long bike trip. We did the Rome-Catania flight (Alitalia). I will just tell you prepare to spend a LONG time in check in lines @ most of the airlines - at least on a Saturday morning. We showed up 2 hours early for our flight and there was a three hour line just for checkin. If you can carry your luggage, it might be ok.

Someone from our tour spoke Italian and walked to the counter and explained we were going to miss our flight. The agent agreed and waved them (and us) past the crowd so we could make it.

I felt bad for everyone else in line but didn't want to spend another 90 minutes in line and miss the flight.

Another vote for Catania as an airport to fly in or out. Good bus connections at this airport. We flew in here from Malta and there was a bus outside the door that took us to Taormina.

We got a cheap one way to Vienna. Toured to Prague. Inexpensive Air Malta flight to Malta. Ten days later a very inexpensive Air Malta flight to Catania.

I would avoid Ryanair if you can. They are well know for hidden charges, poor service. Monarch(UK) just went bankrupt, and I read that there are rumours about Norweigan. There was talk in the papers that Ryanair was considering a run for bankrupt Alitalia but this is apparently off the table now.

Last edited:
Another vote for Catania as an airport to fly in or out. Good bus connections at this airport. We flew in here from Malta and there was a bus outside the door that took us to Taormina...
We took Vueling from Rome to Catania and then a driver to Taormina. Great time in Hotel Schuller and visit to the Gambino family winery (another branch of the family but very accommodating with their tastings).

Back
Top Bottom