Flu shots we received in US not effective?

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Two years in a row, we received flu shots in LA at the end of September, then went to our home country in Asia. We then went on trips to Japan, and China.

It is close to the end of China trip when it was cold and wet that both of us got a severe flu, both times. We then went back to our home country and received care.

Flu shots are also given free from our home country. I wonder if flu viruses are different depending on the region. Maybe we should receive flu shots there next year instead. But then how do we fight off flu virus when we return to US in the winter?

Maybe we should receive flu shots there next year instead. But then how do we fight off flu virus when we return to US in the winter?

Why not get a flu shot in both? That should give you the protection against the expected flu strains in both locations.

Last edited:
Talk with your doctor and explain your plans. Assuming it's fine to get multiple shots, but maybe space them out a bit.

Even in the US there are multiple flu strains, and the vaccine is not one-size-fits-all.

and by the way, you do not get the flu from being cold and wet. You get the flu from being in close contact with people already infected. You might make yourself more susceptible while traveling from lack of sleep, lots of alcohol, jet lag, and stress.

It is close to the end of China trip when it was cold and wet that both of us got a severe flu, both times. We then went back to our home country and received care.

You (but not the other passengers) might have been lucky they even allowed you on the plane back home, airlines can and will disallow boarding to passengers who are obviously sick. Certainly not fool proof, I'm sure there are many more who slip through the cracks then not.

You (but not the other passengers) might have been lucky they even allowed you on the plane back home, airlines can and will disallow boarding to passengers who are obviously sick. Certainly not fool proof, I'm sure there are many more who slip through the cracks then not.
Really? Personally I've never heard of anybody asking to offboard because they have a flu...

Really? Personally I've never heard of anybody asking to offboard because they have a flu...

Plenty of airports use thermal imaging cameras to scan your face for signs of a fever.

Plenty of airports use thermal imaging cameras to scan your face for signs of a fever.

Many people in Asia wear face masks whether they are sick or not. We did too. There is no camera to check temperature flying out of China.

Coming back to our home country though you have to pass a health check station with camera. Sick people would be subject to in-home follow-up or even quarantine. If you are citizen, they won't turn you away.

I guess we have low grade temperature and did not exceed the threshold so we were allowed in both times. This is a country that is very sensitive to any health threat. The number one concern now is African Swine Fever so no meat of any kind is allowed or pay a fine of USD $6,500.

We are still here and under medication. Our X ray result show no infection. Just need to finish medication and more rest, before our next journey back to US.

Back
Top Bottom