Flying First Class

In OP's case its a no brainer due to the small differential and the saved baggage fees.

That being said, domestic first class is not worth paying much for IMO. With the exception of some LA-NY flights that carriers operate more like international business with the lie flat seats. Otherwise the extra $ for domestic gets you a free drink or two, a pre-packaged snack (probably not even a meal), and less hassle trying to get overhead bin space. More legroom and cushier seats but I'm not a large person for a few hours a coach seat doesn't bother. So OP - no you won't be spoiled for life in domestic first.

Now long-haul international business or first is a different animal. The seats lie flat for sleeping, you get a nice meal or two with wine/drinks and dessert (vs. the crappy economy meal), much more space to stretch out and move around. Usually no lines for the bathrooms and they are cleaner because they are used less. Better baggage allowance and more space to store personal items. Use of the lounge (and the international business/first lounges are also way better than domestic lounges) before the flight and during connections.

When megacorp was paying I wouldn't fly international unless it was business class. On my own dime - I would spring for economy plus for international and probably upgrade the hotel I was staying at instead of paying so much more for extra comfort for < 24 hours of flight time.

Though I am just starting my FIRE journey in January - if later on I get into a BTD mode - then what the heck - YOLO.

Last edited:
We have not flown international first class, but have no trips planned outside the US at this time.

We've used Business and First interchangeably here but some planes have 3 classes for long hauls. ("Business Class" was a term developed to make the idea more palatable to bean counters who were making decisions about employee travel policies.)

I got an "operational upgrade" to First Class on a flight home from London; had booked Business Class. A bit more room, some nice little cabinets near your feet so you could keep things nearby instead of reaching up into the overhead bin, slightly better food and the option of having your entire meal served all at once. I think there were more courses and I just had them served in succession- I wanted the whole "experience" but it was drawn-out and I could see why some people might want it served all at once so they could get in a few hours of sleep.

A nice experience but not something I'd pay for.

.......I once took a peek and then, in horror, shouted at the flight attendant: "My God! Do you know there's a hundred people on the other side of this curtain?!?"

And with that I wish all my friends here a Happy New Year!

Somebody has to occupy those seats, eh marko?

And it might as well be me

But at this time of year lets remember to thank those good people in First for helping subsidize the lower coach seat price. ( just kidding)

Last edited:
The low passenger:lav ratio is also a factor, a big one if you've got a medical condition where you might need to go a lot.

I used points to travel from LAX to Spain and then Italy on anther trip. Business class is lie flat and much like first class. Totally worth it!!! I've flown domestic first class and dont find as much value. But it's still nicer :) I have a guy who I pay to book my international flights to maximize points. It's great!

The low passenger:lav ratio is also a factor, a big one if you've got a medical condition where you might need to go a lot.

Oh, yeah- although I believe that on domestic flights you can use the FC lavs. I don't; I figure that one way or another people have paid to be in First/Business even if it's just through enduring a lot of air travel, so let them have their perks.

Priority check-in and Immigration lines can also be a major benefit, although in the US they seem to have gotten rid of Priority check-in lines in favor of TSA Pre-Check lines. Still, if you've ever arrived at Heathrow from an international flight you can see why a Priority line would be a lifesaver.

Funny story from a trip through O'Hare: we arrived late and had to re-book and there were giant long lines. I got into the Priority one and a woman serving the Coach passengers beckoned me over after she'd finished taking care of someone in Coach. A loud grumble rose up from the Coach passengers, who had a MUCH higher ratio of waiting passengers to employees. I politely refused and waited for the next Priority agent. Later I saw another employee go over and say something to her. She meant well but it would have been unfair.

People may not realize that first class in domestic flights is not the same as first class international flights.

For domestic flights on small airplanes, the first-class seats may not be as comfortable as the business seats on twin-aisle long-range aircraft, let alone international first-class seats.

The price difference is not that bad for domestic flights. For international, it's huge.

Here's the difference in prices for Phoenix/La Guardia round trip tickets for April 2022.

Coach: $335
Premium economy: $675
First Class: $987

Here's a quick look up for airfare for Phoenix/Sydney round trip for April 2022.

Coach: $1485
Premium Economy: $4127
Business Class: $8385
First Class: $15,992

Those ratios are very similar to the ones I've seen recently.

I've only flown first class maybe 1/2 dozen times in my life. It certainly beat steerage class, but I didn't find the experience all that. Certainly not worth triple the cost much less 5x+.

I took my only post-Covid trip, this month from Honolulu, to San Francisco,and Vegas, using miles and then paid ~$100 for exit row seating.
My built-in frugality, really had me questioning was it worth for a 5 hour flight. I'd much rather spend the money on a nice meal, upgraded hotel, a tour. I guess I have trouble blowing the dough.

The only times I flew first class were when I was bumped up there. Once when I was the only passenger not complaining about an overbooked flight. And a few times on the now defunct ATA - I had points or whatever that got me into first class when first class seats were vacant.

I don't think I'll ever pay to get first class - I sleep most of the flight anyway.

My favorite Megacorp First Class/Business Class trip was about a month after 9/11, when a client in Perth wanted me to run a technical workshop there. My manager told the local team "Jolly flies first or business Class, or it ain't happening". Since business opportunity with the client had a potential of $20+ million, them paying $20k for me to fly first and business class was a no-brainer to them.

I flew Dulles-> LAX first class, LAX -> Sidney business class, and then Sydney-> Perth first class, then the same route and classes on the return trip.

The business class leg was very nice, I was in the upper level of the 747 and it was like being in a private plane, only about 30 people, and in addition to the service there were shelves and a refrigerator where we could help ourselves at any time.

The first class in Australia was on Qantas, and outstanding. The seat was in the middle, no one on either side, and it could fully recline to a bed. there was storage with various entertainment options and drinks/snacks for each first class seat.

A side note, that soon after 9/11 there was tons of sympathy for Americans in Australia, I was tread incredible nicely by everyone I encountered. Even by the bouncer and a few strippers outside a "gentlemens club" that was near the hotel (get your mind out of the gutter, the details are rated G :)).

I have flown first class domestic several times and wife has once or twice. We don’t fly very often now as we prefer to drive and have the time. We don’t mind coach, but like others here are willing to spend a few bucks for comfort now.

Recently booked a flight for this spring and first was only a couple hundred more than coach so I booked it. Wife doesn’t know so it will be a nice surprise for her.

Last edited:
I don't even price out coach tickets anymore. On anything international, I'll sometimes slum it in business class, but more often than not, I'll pay for first. I would not take even a 30 minute flight in coach, especially with Covid.

Back when I was w*rking, I used to fly frequently between North and South America. Always on Pan Am, because Uncle Sam was paying for it. The flights were from 9 to 11 hours, depending on departure/arrival cities.

I had so many frequent flier miles that I was usually able to use them to upgrade to Business class. That meant the upper deck of a 747, where there were no movies, nothing to distract you, so you could sleep most of the flight (they were usually at night).

That was wonderful, but one time I found myself unexpectedly upgraded to First class, and the experience was out of this world. You got a menu to choose from, and your meal was actually cooked on the plane, to order, on a real stove. Served on fine china, and all the alcoholic beverages you wanted. There was about one flight attendant for every ten passengers in First, and it was just amazing to a simple person like me.

I'm told that First class on some airlines is still like that today, but my single Pan Am experience was seriously memorable.

That was wonderful, but one time I found myself unexpectedly upgraded to First class, and the experience was out of this world. You got a menu to choose from, and your meal was actually cooked on the plane, to order, on a real stove. Served on fine china, and all the alcoholic beverages you wanted. There was about one flight attendant for every ten passengers in First, and it was just amazing to a simple person like me.

I'm told that First class on some airlines is still like that today, but my single Pan Am experience was seriously memorable.

Singapore Air gives you a wine list bound in leather. The list isn't written....each page has the lable from a bottle pasted there, like in high end restaurants. I chose a bottle that I knew was about $60 retail and had it all to myself. On boarding they offer a glass of Dom!

Singapore Air gives you a wine list bound in leather. The list isn't written....each page has the lable from a bottle pasted there, like in high end restaurants. I chose a bottle that I knew was about $60 retail and had it all to myself. On boarding they offer a glass of Dom!

I thought they could have given you a whole bottle of Dom and still came out way ahead after charging $15K for the ticket. :)

My favorite Megacorp First Class/Business Class trip was about a month after 9/11, when a client in Perth wanted me to run a technical workshop there. My manager told the local team "Jolly flies first or business Class, or it ain't happening". Since business opportunity with the client had a potential of $20+ million, them paying $20k for me to fly first and business class was a no-brainer to them.

I flew Dulles-> LAX first class, LAX -> Sidney business class, and then Sydney-> Perth first class, then the same route and classes on the return trip.

The business class leg was very nice, I was in the upper level of the 747 and it was like being in a private plane, only about 30 people, and in addition to the service there were shelves and a refrigerator where we could help ourselves at any time.

The first class in Australia was on Qantas, and outstanding. The seat was in the middle, no one on either side, and it could fully recline to a bed. there was storage with various entertainment options and drinks/snacks for each first class seat.

A side note, that soon after 9/11 there was tons of sympathy for Americans in Australia, I was tread incredible nicely by everyone I encountered. Even by the bouncer and a few strippers outside a "gentlemens club" that was near the hotel (get your mind out of the gutter, the details are rated G :)).

My wife and I flew business class and first class seats on Qantas 747 in 1999. It was nice, but seats on new airplanes are a lot nicer, as can be seen on YouTube.

I also flew business class to London (British Airways, forgot what plane) in 2007, and El Al to Tel Aviv in 2012. Again, nothing like the business class in newer airplanes as seen on YouTube.

Last edited:
Those ratios are very similar to the ones I've seen recently.

I've only flown first class maybe 1/2 dozen times in my life. It certainly beat steerage class, but I didn't find the experience all that. Certainly not worth triple the cost much less 5x+.

I took my only post-Covid trip, this month from Honolulu, to San Francisco,and Vegas, using miles and then paid ~$100 for exit row seating.
My built-in frugality, really had me questioning was it worth for a 5 hour flight. I'd much rather spend the money on a nice meal, upgraded hotel, a tour. I guess I have trouble blowing the dough.

The only times I flew first class were when I was bumped up there. Once when I was the only passenger not complaining about an overbooked flight. And a few times on the now defunct ATA - I had points or whatever that got me into first class when first class seats were vacant.

I don't think I'll ever pay to get first class - I sleep most of the flight anyway.

I don't really care for the fancier food and the free booze. I could have bought the booze myself a lot cheaper.

The only thing I hate about the coach seat is that it does not recline enough for me to sleep well. Just another 10 degrees or so, and that's all I need. I don't need to sleep on my side. I just don't want my head to fall forward.

When flying business seat, I slept through most of the long flights, such as the non-stop ones to Sydney and Tel Aviv, anyway. Oh man, the flights seemed so short, I only watched one or two movies because I slept most of the time.

We have not flown premium economy, and perhaps that's all I need. My frugal wife suddenly said she wanted business seat, but maybe when the time comes to cough up the dough, she will change her mind. Almost $8K for two to go to Europe, I think it's steep. I can afford it, but I am not used to spending this money for airfare.

Last edited:
This thread is timely. Neither DH nor I have ever flown first class.

We dropped DS off earlier at JFK/ New Year's Eve afternoon.

I had never seen so little traffic in front of JFK.

DS was finishing up his leave and flying back to his base on American Airlines. He was allowed him to wait in the Admiral's Club and bumped him up to first class. He thoroughly enjoyed himself!

snip

We have not flown premium economy, and perhaps that's all I need. My frugal wife suddenly said she wanted business seat, but maybe when the time comes to cough up the dough, she will change her mind. Almost $8K for two to go to Europe, I think it's steep. I can afford it, but I am not used to spending this money for airfare.

(late to the thread)

The premium economy product varies among airlines. There is a new intermediate product that features wider seats, more recline, larger seat pitch but the same food as economy but maybe actual china. It can definitely be worth it as the premium tends to be lower (usually $500 or less). Some airlines have added the premium product, upgraded their business class, and dropped first. Example -- United's Polaris product in SFO includes access to a cook-to-order restaurant and separate lounge before you depart.

My personal view is that international business class is often the best value/$ upgrade. I've flown well more than 25 times in either first or business, probably more (mostly due to work or as a trailing spouse). I would say there is a wide variance in both international and domestic products, although my experience on international first is more limited (I've never gotten to experience the private cabin in first, like on Emirates or Singapore. My experience on Singapore was pre-cabin era).

The worst "business" product is in Europe. It's an empty middle seat. The worst first is on many short haul domestic where you get a nicer seat but the premium can be pretty high (caveat -- our last booking on Alaska we made in first because the price delta was so cheap)

Last edited:
Panda, where are you flying from (Is it a LONG flight or not...you didn't say where you were leaving from).
I don't think a difference of that amount is even material enough to be classified as BTD worthy. Especially with the golf clubs, it is well worth it?
Is your ultimate destination Hilton Head (as your husband is playing golf)? We have flown into Savannah many times from NJ, as our destination to go to Hilton Head. Very convenient and easy in and out and reasonable drive to HH.
Enjoy your trip and your vacation. You might get spoiled!

Yes, we are headed to Hilton Head for a week and then a long weekend at Kiawah Island. Going with 2 other couples and the guys will golf. We are staying at my parents timeshare which I believe is at the Port Royal Plantation. Includes 4 rounds of golf daily!

"Fly first class . . . or your kids will"

I am going to remember this! This is my daughter for sure!

Delta to Savannah, depends on 2 things:
1 - From where are you flying / how long is the flight?
2 - What kind of jet is Delta flying?

If it's just a short regional jet flight from somewhere in the eastern half of the US, then not worth it, IMO.

We're flying CA to Atlanta and then a separate flight to Hilton Head. Aircraft are Boeing 737-900ER for 3 of the flights and an Airbus A321 Atlanta to Savannah.

Thanks for all of the interesting comments and sharing of experiences. I am really looking forward to trying out first class. Our current travel is typically flying Southwest and our "splurge" has been purchasing an A1-15 spot (typically for $40) at the airport if we don't get an A at check in, so this is a big differential.

We have been flying first class these days. It's a manner of travel to which I'd like to become accustomed.

Nice! I’m still too frugal unless the additional cost is minimal, which isn’t often the case.

My wife and I started flying more first/business when we hit about 50 years old and have a 3+ hour rule and also a cost difference rule. If the flight is over 3 hours, then the cost difference tolerance is kind of a sliding scale of up to $900 a person extra. If it's less than 3 hours then we will pay the extra if it's less than double the coach fare. A couple of exceptions, if the pitch of the coach seats is 31" or less, then cost becomes less important and also if the plane is a Max 8-737 then I draw the line on sitting in those thin rock-like seats, they are ok for about 20 minutes and then you start to feel the pain.

Here is a tip for American Airlines travelers, if you have a chance to fly a long domestic route on one of their 777-300-ER planes, consider coach with main cabin extra cost if you can get into the first 3 rows of Premium Economy as they sell PE on that plane at MCE cost (usually rows 16-18 in a 2-4-2 configuration) and you will basically be getting the equivalent of a standard AA 1st class style seats in a private cabin for the cost of Coach plus MCE cost of around $90 extra. Then request an upgrade online as there are over 70 business and first class lay-flats on this plane so either way you will have a great seat for not much more than coach.

Last edited:
I mean, you can pretty much justify any expense as long as you have the money and desire. I can't even fault someone for booking a ticket on a SpaceX flight to the ISS if they have the extra cash.

I can't wait to read that thread when RobbieB starts it!!

The last time we flew coach was a flight from Auckland to Queenstown New Zealand and the plane only had coach seats. We have both paid for biz class and used miles/points to get award tickets in both business and first. We flew to Tokyo one time from the east coast in coach and there is no way I could do that again (older, whole body locks up after a few hours sitting like that). Last trip we flew ANA first class, using points we had accumulated, best flight we've taken, right up there with flying Singapore airlines a few years prior.

Before realizing we could afford business tickets we had developed a tiered system where we would take coach if it was within the US or to east coast to Europe. Longer flights we'd use points to upgrade. But travel is a priority for us in our budget and we'd rather drive older cars or update the house less frequently to be able to travel more comfortably. Other people we know want a new car every few years and refuse to pay for more than a coach seat. If you are lucky to have a decent discretionary budget then pay for the nicer seats if that is something that is important to you.

Yesterday flew from Las Vegas to Honolulu on Hawaiian (nearly 6 hour flight). Used Hawaiian’s lie flat first class bidding system and was able to upgrade my wife and I. Flight was full and being able to stretch out during Covid times was very nice. I think it really helped deal with the 5 hour delay in Honolulu and several cancelled flights getting to Kauai last night.

Back
Top Bottom