For those of you who celebrate the US Thanksgiving....

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
What are you planning on serving (or being served)?

We're hosting. We have a complication in that older son is on a "soft food diet" so I'm modifying a few things.

Before dinner:
Cheese platter and crudite

Dinner - served family style at a big table:
Roasted turkey -
Stuffing - 2 types... one cooked in the bird with no pecans. The other cooked in a casserole - with chopped up nuts. (Son can have the in-the-bird one).
Homemade cranberry sauce (making that today).
Homemade gravy made from the bird drippings.
Garlic parmesan mashed potatoes (from scratch).

My sister is bringing a big fruit salad.
Her friend is bringing greenbeans with almond slivers
My BIL is bringing wine.

I'm making pie crusts tomorrow for the pies - they roll out nicely if they've rested for up to a day before you roll them out.
2 pumpkin pies (standard libby recipe)
2 pecan pies (one with the pecans food processed to small small pieces so son can eat them.)
Home made whipped cream to top the pies.

I'm hungry just thinking of it all.

No one in my family has both the space AND energy to host a Thanksgiving gathering so we are going out for a lunch buffet.

We are hosting two couples for the entire weekend (S1, S2, and their wives). I think we've got two months of groceries on hand; hopefully it will be enough! Our main meal plans include:

T-Day is much like yours. Pies are standard pumpkin and my own apple/pear with crumbled sugar/cinnamon crust (pears were marinating 10 days to flavor bourbon, which will add a bit!). Stuffing modified from bag, turkey all afternoon on indirect low-heat mesquite/apple fire. Other sides include salad, Potatoes (sweet and white), cheeses, bread, charcuterie. Drink pairings: Rodenbach Ales and liberate some older Tuscans from the cellar (For desert: S2 born in 1990 and we have a sauternes from that year).

Friday: Beef Tenderloin, salads, potatoes, ice cream. Probably some 05-06 Chateauneufs, although DW and one young lady will choose a Napa Cab, I think. Probably finish with some nice aged beerenauslese or TBA?

Saturday: Leftovers, if any.... Maybe let the "kids" go into the cellar with DW to make choices?

Good news is that we will free up some needed cellar space. :)

I've been "hit up" by my girlfriend to do the turkey this year. After I cook them they will need to be packed up and driven to her parents home 40 miles away.

So, I will brine up and smoke 2 turkey breasts on the egg and they will travel much easier than a whole turkey I'm sure.

Old fashioned southern black family here, lol
Fried Turkey, Ham, mac and cheese, collard greens, string beans, sweet potatoes and rolls. Dessert is sweet potato pie and chocolate cake

Prime rib, roasted finger potatoes, green beans with almonds, pumpkin pie, champagne with dinner, wine before. Some friends will be joining us.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :greetings10:.

Just the two of us:

a bottle of Meiomi pinot noir
Roasted cauliflower and leek soup.
Roasted brined 13 lb turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce
turkey dressing/stuffing
roasted smashed baby potatoes
roasted brussel sprouts (hey, we have a lot of ovens!)
French green beans with shallots

Some small dessert tart for DH, he's easy to please. No dessert for me.

Going to a friends--about 10 of us every year. I'm bringing a big antipasto.
Your menu sounds like what we are having. No one in my world ever does the ubiquitous green bean casserole, however. It will probably be squash. Also, a green salad.
I know that lots of people in the U.S. have mac and cheese, but that was unknown to me growing up in Chicago-land and also here in MN. Sounds good, though.

Six of us are eating out for Thanksgiving this year since we don't want to deal with leftovers in our trash since we leave for Florida on Friday.

We are doing the classic Thanksgiving meal, from scratch, no big deal. So far we have spent [-]$235[/-] $200 (forgot $35 was for toys/books) for eight adults (three are vegetarians) and four picky little eaters from one to five years old, and someone else is bringing desserts and wine. A restaurant would be [-]cheaper[/-] not much more $$ and frankly just as good imo, plus no prep and no clean-up!

Last edited:
In addition to local family we're having non-US guests that have never seen a Thanksgiving feast, so we're skipping the usual beef or lamb and having a traditional meal. Turkey with stuffing and gravy, mashed 'taters, cranberry sauce, green beans, asparagus. Assorted sweets for dessert. To drink we'll serve apple cider, hard cider, wine, sparkling grape juice.

Fresh organic free-range 8 pound turkey was just delivered about an hour ago and is already in the brine bag.

Tomorrow morning it comes out of the bag and air-dries in the frig until Thursday.

Then it goes on the Joetisserie inside the Big Green Egg with a little pecan wood for smoke.

I suspect there will be other food items on the table as well, but you'd have to ask DW about those. :cool:

Old fashioned southern black family here, lol
Fried Turkey, Ham, mac and cheese, collard greens, string beans, sweet potatoes and rolls. Dessert is sweet potato pie and chocolate cake

It isn't Thanksgiving at our house unless this dish is served. I classify it as a side dish/head start on dessert. :)

Yummy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe - Allrecipes.com

If you slide a piecrust under that casserole, REW, you could take it to BClover's and call it sweet potato pie!

All of my 3 siblings live in town, and so it has always been the tradition to have a potluck Thanksgiving for four families, and now the married and single children, who either live in town or come from out of state for the occasion. That's 19, including a baby this year, my grandniece.

Whenever I hosted, my wife would also invite her in-town siblings' families, and we could have around 30.

The dinner being a potluck, the host would do the turkey main dish and some trimmings. The guests would announce in advance what they would bring to avoid duplicates. Generally, there are more meat dishes like roast beef, pork loins, Italian meatballs, etc..., in addition to some casseroles, cheese and crudité platters, etc... And someone would bring something unexpected like meat-stuffed grape leaves, chicken satay, etc...

We do the same for Christmas, and also New Year. I hosted 2016 New Year, and went fancy with 4 types of canapé, in addition to the main dish of apple-stuffed pork loin. Again, guests brought a smorgasbord of international food. My daughter and my nieces all like to cook, so they would bring something they have just learned to make. It is a lot of fun. One year, I served duck a l'orange as the main dish.

The food is served buffet style. We have multiple tables set up, so the elders sit together, and the younger generation gravitated to other tables according to their age group.

Last edited:
We usually celebrate holidays with dozens of his extended family down at the family fishing camp. But this year I think we'll look for a reasonably priced restaurant instead just for the two of us.

Relaxing, peaceful, quiet. I think we are growing old. :LOL:

It's going to be much smaller this year. SIL & BIL are hosting, but the only other ones there will be DW and me. We're bringing the turkey. We' bought a ham, but BIL says don't bring it, there will be plenty of other food. I might bring it anyway just to have the option on the table.

DW's nephew, wife & kids will be in FL with a friend, first time for that. And the niece, hubby and kids will be with his family, but likely here for Christmas. Usually there's a couple of other assorted family/friends coming but apparently not this year.

We' bought a ham, but BIL says don't bring it, there will be plenty of other food. I might bring it anyway just to have the option on the table.

Just a thought -- they might not want it because there won't be room in the oven to heat it.

If I remember what day it is, I might go buy a fresh roasted turkey sandwich near my apartment. Heck, if I remember what day it is, I might even call up the stateside family. All this holiday planning is stressful, maybe I will go crack open a bottle of whiskey.

Close, but the tater pie recipe is seasoned slightly differently - and has no pecans (which, BTW, isn't pronounced as if it were containers to urinate into...) :angel:

Well I think it depends where you live. I agree with the proper pronunciation but some folks think urine and paper shelled tree nuts are interchangeable.

I pronounce it pick-KAWN, and when I do everybody turns around and stares at me with that "y'all ain't from around here, are ya" look. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom