Forbes - 20 Ways You're Throwing Away Money

Lisa99

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This one caught my attention because it clearly laid out the case against actively managed mutual funds....a $580k difference is eye opening!

Many mutual funds
The rip-off: Thousands of actively managed mutual funds (which employ stock pickers who try to beat the market rather than simply match its overall returns) charge fees of 1 percent or higher. Yet consider that less than 40 percent of actively managed funds that invest in large companies outperform the S&P 500 Index. Assuming an investment of $10,000 per year for 40 years, and an average annual return of 7 percent, a fund with a 1.5 percent annual fee compared to one with a 0.25 percent load will cost an extra $580,000. That's a yacht or a summer house.

Here's the whole article: 20 ways you are throwing your money away - Money - TODAY.com

Pretty inclusive list. Thanks for the link.

My son recently got his Masters and I offered to pay for any expenses involved in the ceremony since he has a 4.0 GPA, but he said that he did not want to attend the ceremony. I really had no idea what I was volunteering for money-wise. $100 seems steep for a one day rented black dress...just sayin...

Graduation caps and gowns
The rip-off:
Just when you think your alma mater has milked you dry! Caps and gowns bought through your university's bookstore can run up to $100. Expect to pay even more for a last-minute purchase.
How to avoid it: Buy an imitation of your school's robes for as little as $15 through sites like GraduationSource.com. And with jobs not exactly easy to find, plenty of fellow alumni on Craigslist and eBay are happy to unload theirs for a few extra bucks.

Back
Top Bottom