Foreign Accent Syndrome

I'm a lifelong Minnesotan raised in Norwegian farm country.

When amongst my neighbors I can speak like the cast of "Fargo"

When I travel to larger cities people ask me "What country are you from?"

Just in the US there are plenty of distinguishable dialects. (To my ear anyway). I can usually tell if someone is from New England, New York City, Jersey, The Carolinas, Southern Louisiana or Texas... Not much difference (to me) in the dialects from folks that come from the central, northern or west coast states. But that's me.

I'm a lifelong Minnesotan raised in Norwegian farm country.

When amongst my neighbors I can speak like the cast of "Fargo"

When I travel to larger cities people ask me "What country are you from?"

We had a lady from Minnesota in our lab. She could do the whole "Fargo" thing though she was a bit more lower-midwest in her normal speech.

When I visited Germany following my 2 years of HS German classes, folks thought I was from Austria (my teacher was from there.)

Pretty sure I heard of this phenomenon several years ago.

Dr thought it happened to me

I am British living in the US, the first thing the Dr said to my wife after I had my stroke, quietly and trying to be sensitive was "has he always talked like that". First I'd heard of it but apparently quite common.
We both still laugh about it.

I've been in MN 38 years and am still pegged as a Chicagoan. And yes, there are parts of MN where I've definitely heard the classic "Fargo" accent.

Left Los Angeles after 35 years last November. Before that lived in Chicago area for a lotta years. Got asked about my "accent" only a couple times in L.A. It's y'all who have the accent. :D

Last time someone asked me, you're not from around here, are you? Was in Evergreen Park, IL when I stopped into the cemetery office to ask where a sections was. Wearing a warm leather coat and it was maybe 50 degrees. Locals were probably in T shirt sleeves.

I've been in MN 38 years and am still pegged as a Chicagoan. And yes, there are parts of MN where I've definitely heard the classic "Fargo" accent.

I have a strong Minnesota accent. My friend who has lived in Minnesota since 1966 is originally from New England.

We have a couple drinks and I talk like Ole the Norwegian and he talks like one of the Kennedys.

Come to the Hanley Falls Municipal liquor store at around 5:00 any night of the week. You'll hear both Norwegian and Swede accents mixed in the Minnesota dialect.

Pretty sure I heard of this phenomenon several years ago.

I recall a case as well. Is there some sort of medical/physical explanation? Seems very odd to change to British, why British?

Is it because Americans have heard British accents enough (and it is English), so that's just something the brain has inside somewhere, and something gets re-wired?

I'm curious if someone from the UK could pinpoint the accent, London, or some other area? And what accent would an American be most familiar with?

-ERD50

Being from southern Louisiana I have a Cajun accent. But if you want to hear a true Cajun accent you need to visit some towns like Jeanerette or Galliano. Some of my cousins would be difficult to understand.

I am British living in the US, the first thing the Dr said to my wife after I had my stroke, quietly and trying to be sensitive was "has he always talked like that". First I'd heard of it but apparently quite common.
We both still laugh about it.

That’s hilarious! (Not the stroke part, obviously . . . )

She probably goes "on vacation" instead of "on holiday" too.

It would be the other way around, but this raises an interesting question. After this event, is it just her accent that changes, or her actual choice of words?

Being from southern Louisiana I have a Cajun accent. But if you want to hear a true Cajun accent you need to visit some towns like Jeanerette or Galliano. Some of my cousins would be difficult to understand.

I love the Cajun accent. I w*rked with a guy (from Ohio) who had w*rked in Cajun country for a few years. He would occasionally affect a Cajun accent just to entertain us at coffee break. I really liked the movie "The Big Easy" because of the accents.

I don't even try pigeon though I'm often surrounded by it here in the Islands. I simply have no talent for accents (with the possible exception of mid-southern.) Not sure how I would sound if I experienced the "Syndrome."

Back
Top Bottom