Former military installations

Ft Lewis has merged with McChord AFB, now Lewis-McChord Joint Base.
Lots of that went on, for sure.

Ft Dix + McGuire AFB + Lakehurst NAS = Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
Anacostia Naval Base + Bolling AFB = Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling.
Charleston AFB + Charleston Naval Weapons Station = Joint Base Charleston
Hickam AFB + Naval Station Pearl Harbor = Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
etc.

I guess a few base command billets were cut. I'll bet the final headcount didn't get reduced any.

Just checked and I joined the Army at the Presidio, CA which I think is now closed.
Presidio is closed, my sister got married there right b4 it closed. Phenomenal Officers Club
Is Oakland Army Terminal still around? Was processed thru there going/coming to RVN.
No, there was some discussion about putting a baseball field there but so far it's empty

Last edited:
No, that's one I missed. I did spend some time at U-Tapao Royal Thai Navy Airfield, Kadena AFB, Okinawa and Andersen AFB, Guam. Plus Osan AFB, South Korea.

I'm pretty sure Kadena AFB,Anderson AFB and Osan AFB are still open.

I thought It was bases or installations that are now closed? Reading the OP that what it is supposed to be.

I was never in the service and never heard of most of these places being mentioned. But for some reason, I find this thread incredibly interesting. Thanks to all of you.

I believe Philly Naval Shipyard and the Long Beach Naval Shipyard have not been mentioned yet.

Fort Tilden is a place I thought of recently.
I never served there, but growing up I lived very close to it.

It began as a coastal artillery site in World War I, and during the cold war it was the primary (almost only) defense for NYC with Nike-Hercules surface-to-air missiles.

Many of my youthful summer days were spent on the beach at Riis Park just outside its fence.

It began as a coastal artillery site in World War I, and during the cold war it was the primary (almost only) defense for NYC with Nike-Hercules surface-to-air missiles.
There was an abandoned Nike site on a hilltop not too far from where I grew up in Southern California. A friend and I used to crawl under the fence and go exploring, it was amazing (the radar towers and underground missile storage w/elevators were still accessible, etc).

These were amazing relics of the Cold War. Approx 265 sites spread across the US to defend against Soviet bombers. The Nike-Ajax and Nike-Hercules were quite capable for their day: The N-H had a range of over 85 miles, could reach targets at up to 150,000 feet, and even had a capability to engage ballistic missiles. I'd bet few young people today realize that these nuclear-armed missiles were stored and on duty around many US cities 24/7 until the early 1970s. Also, the nuclear-tipped Genie air-to-air rocket was stored in big numbers at a large number of F-106 bases in the US (unguided, 1.5kt warhead, 6 mile range: it gave real meaning to "shoot and scoot")

Listing of Nike missile sites
Brief overview of the Nike program

The SAGE radar system and BOMARC long-range missiles were other air defense systems that were amazingly intricate and advanced for their day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links Samclem. I enjoyed going through them. There is more I want to go through later, too.

Memory from the attic.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 24
OCS at NAS Pensacola
NAS Brunswick, Maine
NS Roosevelt Roads

Everywhere else I was stationed is still open or just changed its name. I also visited Fort Sheridan in the 80s when my uncle was there.

OCS or AOCS in Pensacola? i was commissioned at AOCS in 1978...was there an OCS later?

Just checked Wikipedia.
Both Camp Howze and Camp Castle, South Korea are closed. But camp castle had otherwise brand new facilities by 2002. It must’ve been turned over to the S. Korean Army.
I was in one of the last Castle H-frames before it got razed, also witnessed many relic Quonset huts in Camp Casey get leveled while there. Good riddance.

A few I was at that are now closed:

NAS Barber's Point Hi

NAS Moffet field,

NAS Adak Alaska

Ha!

USS VINCENNES (CG 49)
USS CURTS (FFG 38)

I'd guess it's kind of rare for someone still on AD under 20 years to have two former ships decommissioned.

Ha!

USS VINCENNES (CG 49)
USS CURTS (FFG 38)

I'd guess it's kind of rare for someone still on AD under 20 years to have two former ships decommissioned.
That probably is quite rare. I could have matched it if I had stayed in. I decommissioned my first boat, USS George Washington (SSBN-598), after 3.5 years of active duty. My second, USS George Washington Carver (SSBN-656), was decommissioned 8 years later, but I was long gone by then.

Interestingly, the first Navy ship I ever served on (as a midshipman in the summer of 1978) is still in commission -- USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19)

Last edited:
OCS or AOCS in Pensacola? i was commissioned at AOCS in 1978...was there an OCS later?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but my recollection is that OCS at Newport closed at some point and all OCS was then moved to P'cola (AOCS + OCS). I don't know if there were separate courses/tracks for blackshoes and brownshoes. I believe OIS (Officer Indoctrination School) for those staff corps professions (medical, dental, nurse, lawyer) that get direct commissions remain at Newport.

BTW, I attended OCS in Newport during the summers of '65 and '66 in the long-defunct ROC program.

Back
Top Bottom