Fraudulent Unemployment Application

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Someone filed for unemployment benefits using my son's name. We found out about it because paperwork came here to our house, where he hasn't lived in a very long time. The paperwork showed they used his name, SSN and our address, no email and no phone number. He's had the same address since he moved out.

This happened to our older son (35) who is fully employed and working from home. As soon as I told him about this he put a freeze on all three credit bureaus and also a fraud alert. And he's checking his credit reports and hasn't seen anything questionable. He has no credit cards and no loans so he'd notice new activity. He also alerted his HR department in case anyone inquires. (If you read my posts, it was our younger son, 33, who was furloughed from his job as an audio engineer in March. He was on unemployment for about 6 weeks. His employer got a PPP loan and has called everyone back this week. Hopefully the company can survive this).

This is in Ohio where the state unemployment office was completely overwhelmed by what's gone on here. People can't get through on the phone, their website couldn't handle all the new applications and too many people are just in limbo with their legitimate claims.

There is a place on their website to report unemployment fraud but it's for people to report that someone is working while collecting unemployment. That didn't seem appropriate so he emailed them about the situation. It's been over a week with no response.

There is a place on their website to report unemployment fraud but it's for people to report that someone is working while collecting unemployment. That didn't seem appropriate so he emailed them about the situation. It's been over a week with no response.

Just as a CYA tactic for him, I'd suggest that he write and send a snail-mail letter, return receipt requested, informing the agency of the fraud and his prior attempt to notify them via email. Keep a copy of course.

Maybe a digit transposed on the UE application? Good that your son locked down his credit just in case.

Now some unemployed schlub is mad because his UE isn't coming....ooohhh, that was supposed to be an 8 and not a 3.

Maybe a digit transposed on the UE application? Good that your son locked down his credit just in case.

Now some unemployed schlub is mad because his UE isn't coming....ooohhh, that was supposed to be an 8 and not a 3.

A digit transposed and used a former address for their son? I think not an error!

In May my son's HR department received a notice from the state unemployment offices that his claim was denied and that he had been overpaid by $1080 which is the standard for one week of $480 plus the additional $600 for PUA (Pandemic Unemployment Assistance). His HR department was aware that this was a fraudulent claim.

Yesterday my son got a letter from the state unemployment offices telling him that "after working with US Dept of labor and law enforcement, we have reason to believe that the application was submitted without your knowledge or approval....."

Then there was information about identity theft and how to contact the state attorney general's Consumer Protection Section's Identity Theft Unit.

So this seems to be concluded as far as the unemployment office. They know it wasn't him and that it was ID theft. In our state you can have unemployment benefits direct deposited to a bank account or it can be put onto a debit card. I'm thinking someone put it on a debit card, cashed it out after the $1080 was deposited and went on their merry way. Nice simple scam!

He put a freeze on his credit bureau accounts right away and also a fraud alert on all three. He set up credit monitoring and will watch for any activity. He keeps his financial life very clean and simple, no credit cards, no loans, a couple bank accounts and investments. I hope this is the end of it!

Scary how easily this can be done to someone.

I got a mailed notice from Michigan unemployment that they needed additional ID information to process my (nonexistent) claim. I just wrote fraudulent on it and faxed it back. There was no number to call to talk. I have credit freezes and fraud alert so I didn't see the need to do anything else.

Back
Top Bottom