Freebie of the Day

IMATERP

Full time employment: Posting here.
Okay, while taking my 3 1/2 mile walk this morning, I started mulling over a recent e-mail from a local grocery store offering a free cup of Starbucks coffee to all veterans on Saturday morning, 11/11.

I thought more and more about the subject matter and it dawned on me that yesteday, I received a free sub from a local grocer due to my sending in a complaint about a bad experience at the deli counter 6 weeks ago.

Then, later today, I will be picking up a free t-shirt for me and my wife as we signed up to participate in our annual 3.15 Mile Veterans Day Community Turkey Trot.

So, there you have it - something free - yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Did you get a freebie today ?

IMATERP

Being an old Army vet I hate standing or waiting in line. Free vet meals and give aways have no appeal for this old grunt.

Kohl's gave me a free $10 off a $25 purchase.

Plus a $12 off anything since I've had their CC for 12 years, and 30% off everything.
Plus I have $20 off anything from them from buying my instant pot last month and picking it up in the store.

So I figure I can get some socks or shirts ($100 x .7) −10−12−20 = $28 :)

Not that it will make any difference to our retirement, but it still feels good to get a deal now and then.

Several of us Viet Nam vets (my local friends) are going to a chosen restaurant today for a free lunch. We just haven't picked the spot yet. :)

Kohl's gave me a free $10 off a $25 purchase.

Plus a $12 off anything since I've had their CC for 12 years, and 30% off everything.
Plus I have $20 off anything from them from buying my instant pot last month and picking it up in the store.

So I figure I can get some socks or shirts ($100 x .7) −10−12−20 = $28 :)

Not that it will make any difference to our retirement, but it still feels good to get a deal now and then.

A little secret if you shop online you can you that 10 off coupon multiple times I'm on number 4..

The grocery is offering a BOGO free so I got a 2 lb tri tip roast and a 6 lb turkey breast for the cost of one which saved $15

When I was trying on shoes at Nordstrom last week, the salesman brought over a pair of Hunter boots and said if I tried them on he'd enter me in a contest to win a free pair. He then went to help someone else. I looked at the boots, which were upscale rubber rain boots, and wasn't interested so I didn't try them on. The guy came back and took my name and phone number for the entry anyway. Next day I got the call that I'd won the boots. So I guess I can soon retire my old pair of Lacrosse which are cracking at the heel.

A local up market restaurant is having a BOGO deal for veterans. So me and DW had lunch together today, my lunch free. And since we don't go there often, we used a gift card we had received last year as a gift to cover her meal.

I got free advice. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

Started at Starbucks : free flat white latte

Then to Kohls: totally free 1 bath & 2 hand towels for the Refugee Assistance container @ synagogue ($10 off anything coupon, came to $9.97)

Off to Safeway this morning for free
♤ 8 oz cream cheese
♡ 12 bag of coffee
◇ bought Morningstar vegan patties

I got a flu shot at Target/CVS (“free” through Medicare) and received a $5 coupon good for anything. So better than free!

I got a free soft pretzel with mustard at Home Depot, from a bored guy who was hyping floor tiles or something. Not bad. Not bad at all.

If I play it right I can get a free cup of coffee almost every day.

*Free cup when I get a fill up at the corner gas station,
*Almost free (87 cents) at Dunks on the day after the Patriots win,
*Another free cup when I spend $X on donuts,
*Free cup at the same gas station for DW's car,
*Free cup while shopping at the local grocery,
*Take Mom out for breakfast on Thursdays and she pays, (see below).
*Free coffee on Fridays at the local take out.

At our income level it is a game of course but it might be genetic: My very wealthy grand dad --who I've mentioned many times here --used to park his giant Fleetwood Caddy a block away and then go into the Salvation Army for a free block of cheese. Despite our pleas and screams for him to not do it (totally embarrassing) he'd always be on the lookout for stuff like that. It was a game for him too, but he had no pride at all when it came to that.

Last edited:
Free lunch yesterday for DH-anything on the menu at a local fine dining establishment. He chose the $21.00 lobster roll with truffle fries. Contemplating free breakfast this morning at Friendly's or IHOP but definitely going for free meal tonight at Macaroni Grill after a showing of Murder on the Orient Express.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

When I RE'd we 'discovered' Kohls and realized that we were the only idiots on the planet who'd been paying full price for everything!

While working, I did not have time for this nonsense. After RE, it is a fun game.
  • Bought some frozen burgers on special for $7. They were tough so I complained on the company website. They wanted proof. I sent it and they sent me a $10 check.
  • I sent a nice message online to Michelina's. They sent me some $1 off coupons.
  • I am also on a few companys' email list and occasionally receive coupons. Amy's Kitchen just sent me two $2 coupons.
  • Had some coke cans that were empty, even though we did not open them. Just wanted 4 or 5 replacements. They sent me coupons for 24 free cokes.
  • Seems like every third week HT has great sale prices so DW and I plan our Thursday (5% off for seniors) date. Last time the cost to us was about $150, but the savings announced by clerk were $95.

Of course, some of these are discounts and not free and some are reimbursing us for products we paid for.

Finally, back to vets. Listening to how my father was before the war and knowing how he was after the war (constantly waking up and thinking he was still in a fox hole with his M-1, even 50 years later), I have come to conclude that you deserve all the little freebies and more.

Laid up in a free hotel in Reno for 2 nights, free buffet included

But between my wife and I, we are down around $250, so maybe not so free

Free car wash Saturday. I get one every year on Veterans Day. Significant for me, since I normally only get a car wash about three times a year. Drives DW crazy.

I've been getting free semi-professional photography tips on Facebook. Now, if I decide to actually purchase a camera for myself for Christmas, I'll be ahead of the game!

Back
Top Bottom